Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I don't even know what a Nilgai is...but I know a good mushroom when I see one. So what do you estimate the impact velocity as?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilgai

They're also one of the tastiest creatures that God ever gave us.

Okie John
As long as they are not eating greening out juisache bushes... then they are horribly bitter.

When does that happen? Is it a time of year or a place? If I ever hunt nilgai I would like to enjoy the meat.

Thanks, Guy

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot a couple crop damage deer with a 250 gr TTSX from my 375 H&H Mag loaded at 2800 fps. Shots were 150 and 160 yards, tight behind the shoulder with exits through the slats on the off side. Both dropped at the shot. Plenty of expansion, exits were the size of a golf ball.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JD338
I shot a couple crop damage deer with a 250 gr TTSX from my 375 H&H Mag loaded at 2800 fps. Shots were 150 and 160 yards, tight behind the shoulder with exits through the slats on the off side. Both dropped at the shot. Plenty of expansion, exits were the size of a golf ball.

I had similar experience with the 250 TTSX, though started @ 3130 mv. They were quite effective….looking forward to using my 270 LRX’s @ 3100. They should do pretty good also! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are fun to shoot at steel plate. When they are cheap enough:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They’re usually accurate.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by brinky72

They’re usually, “unusually” accurate! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Used a 180 gr. TTSX to take a bull elk this last fall (my first) from a .30-06 at about 160 yards. Didn't go more than 5 steps after the first shot.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Don’t ya just love a story with a happy ending!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Have killed 4 elk the past three years with a 308 and 150 TTSX’s. All of them broadside shots from ~50 -120 yds (I’ve never had two broadside shots in a row on elk until now). All were exits with good exit holes.

Friend of mine who has been a copper bullet fan for a long time likes ETips better, because he thinks terminal performance is more consistent, but also says ETips can be more work to shoot accurately.

I’d like to get the classic quartering away shot on an elk to see how that bullet will work……..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I’d like to get the classic quartering away shot on an elk to see how that bullet will work……..

I don’t think that you will be disappointed! memtb

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Typical TTSX performance = bloody knife blade

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I bought a couple of rifles I tried TTSX bullets. The 300 Savage 99 (new to me) shot TTSX bullets more accurately than anything other bullet. But I ran out of bullets testing loads before season and I ended up using 159 grain Interlocks.
The 700 Mountain (new to me) & 700 Classic both in 7x57 shot TTSX bullets very well. So I took the 7x57’s out for whitetail. I had four doe tags. I was carrying the Mountain rifle. A group of 6 does walked out in the open approximately 275 yards away (range finding binoculars). I had sticks as a support and they had no idea that I was there. 3 shots and three does dead and without a step taken. As I was walking up to clean them another doe was running around, maybe 200 yards away: one shot and it dropped instantly.
All bullets left a good size exit hole. The first three -through the lungs, close to the heart. The last one a high shoulder shot. The last one hit significant bones.

I’ve not seen such performance repeated like that with any bullet, any rifle, and any cartridge. TTSX, will be tested in other cartridges, for sure.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good shooting...but hell, you were shooting the 7x57... J.O`C would be proud.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Barnes 168 TTSX bullets recovered from cow elk shot at 617 and 628yds. Starting velocity was 3250fps. We've shot truck loads of deer between 10 and 800yds and never recovered a TTSX using the same load.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That picture is troubling.
That depends. Impact speed is likely getting pretty low at those distances, so performance may be right inline with what one would expect.

A quick guess puts it at about 22-2300fps, which is far over what Barnes claims is their minimum for that bullet. Doesn't leave very much room for a guy that wants to use that bullet in a .30-06 or .308.

At that range, probably closer to 2,000 fps, which explains the bullet performance.

While generally shoot the TSX, if impact velocity is going to be under ~ 2,200 fps, make sure to drive it through bone.

GR

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by brinky72

They’re usually, “unusually” accurate! 😉 memtb
That’s the only good thing I could muster up from my experience with Barnes so that’s all I added.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Barnes 168 TTSX bullets recovered from cow elk shot at 617 and 628yds. Starting velocity was 3250fps. We've shot truck loads of deer between 10 and 800yds and never recovered a TTSX using the same load.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That picture is troubling.
That depends. Impact speed is likely getting pretty low at those distances, so performance may be right inline with what one would expect.

A quick guess puts it at about 22-2300fps, which is far over what Barnes claims is their minimum for that bullet. Doesn't leave very much room for a guy that wants to use that bullet in a .30-06 or .308.
Knowing no particulars except MV, I'd SWAG it more like 2100 fps at impact. Regardless what Barnes cites by bullet, I use 2200 as the floor for all TTSX and 2000 for LRX. Not a.big deal for me as I don't shoot far enough for that to come into play. But if I was at or below those numbers, I'd aim for big bones in the shoulders.
You wouldn't be worried about penetration? I'm going to try either 190 or 200 LRX bullets next year and worry about velocity at extended ranges.

I love the LRX.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sweet, appears to be good expansion. 👍 The performance that makes the Barnes TTSX’s and the LRX’s head and shoulders above most other bullets!

My only possible complaint would be…..they were not complete pass-throughs! 🤔 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/21/24.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Of the nine, or so, deer and elk I've taken with the LRX, I've only recovered those two. Both were quartering away shots.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Of the nine, or so, deer and elk I've taken with the LRX, I've only recovered those two. Both were quartering away shots.

That should make you a “Happy Camper”! Pictures of that kind of performance are worth a thousand words. 👍 Those are some of the reasons I swear by Barnes Bullets.

There are some that had bad experiences early on and refuse to try them again…..it’s their loss! memtb

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Almost all the recovered ones i have seen have been missing the petals

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,638
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.