Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wonder if they will come down in the near future ?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I doubt it..they are a pretty hot thing right now

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Is anything gun related coming down in price? Ever?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just buy one and you will not regret.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Go to scheels.com and apply for a card,
70 bucks off next purchase.

About the best you can hope for.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz

Bout 2-3 years right after the next gen comes out.

Swifty
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Or when another manufacturer comes out with something similar.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Buy once, cry once.

As many problems for dedicated shooters that the Garmin Xero resolved, price was hardly a consideration.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Futura
Or when another manufacturer comes out with something similar.

They have. At the same price.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Huntz

Garmin is well known for enforcing their minimum advertised price and requiring their dealers to abide by it. They make Leupold look like softies.

Wait another month and you can buy a chrono that can do everything the Xero does plus go back to previous shot strings and add new shots, plus an additional port for an external power source when the integral battery craps out. For the same price.

Maybe the Xero price will come down then…

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Wait another month and you can buy a chrono that can do everything the Xero does plus go back to previous shot strings and add new shots, plus an additional port for an external power source when the integral battery craps out. For the same price.

Maybe the Xero price will come down then…

Why would you want to add new shots to a pre-existing shot string? Wouldn’t it be easy enough to start another shot string?

Wouldn’t the charging port be your external power source receptacle?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Why would you want to add new shots to a pre-existing shot string? Wouldn’t it be easy enough to start another shot string?

So anytime you head to the range to check zero or just decide to fling a few, you can further establish your rifle's/load's consistency, or lack thereof. You could have a cold-weather string and a hot-weather string as well. The 22-250 that rides in my pickup the most sees over 100 degrees of ambient temp swings annually. Figure in that during the summer, sitting @ the boat ramp it'll be 120-130 degrees inside the cab, and the ammo is always in there, even if the rifle isn't. Late Dec and early Jan @ the end of upland and turkey season it'll typically get a few days -10F ambient and while hunting my pickup sits outside overnight and the rifle and ammo stay inside.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a bigger deal for me within a given shooting session. I may rotate through rifles so barrels can cool, do a round-robin with load development, or take turns shooting groups with a buddy. In all cases, it would be nice to go back and add shots to a previous string.

It’s nice to have all shots in a given set of conditions in the same string so you don’t have to do the statistical analysis manually once you get to a meaningful sample size.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I ordered mine, there was no news of the new LR, so there was no choice to make except Garmin or no Garmin. Glad I didn’t wait as the Garmin does all I need, and was a big improvement over the MS for general use. Once the LR is released into the wild, everyone should decide based on their needs and notions, as with everything else.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The inability to add shots to previous shot strings is the only thing I don’t like about my LRV1. It would be nice if it would more reliably pick up 22 cal bullets too. I can’t believe Infinition didn’t bother to include that feature on the LRV1 and the Xero is a huge whiff on that score.

Like Jordan I keep bbls cool because I have found some cartridges cook bbls a lot faster than others. I often bring 3-6 rifles to the range and shoot while other rifles are cooling. Plus when I cold weather test it would be a LOT easier to store each each 10 shot string and write them all down when I get back to my (warm) reloading room. It’s no big deal to add a tiny bit more memory.

It appears (but I’m not certain) that the LRLX has a separate power port that bypasses the battery. As somebody who has $1000-$1200 worth of tool batteries, I know that Li-Ion batteries sometimes die prematurely, have a finite number of charge cycles, and will “age out” regardless of charge cycles.

When there are zillions of cheap Li-Ion batteries for charging phones and such on Amazon that cost $$20-$25, will last a couple years or more, and will power a chrono for a week, it’s foolish for Garmin and Infinition to put an integral battery in a tool. Plus I’m sure the consumer is paying a LOT more for that integral battery than the cost of a 10k mAh Amazon battery.

I’ll guarantee in the next year or so we will hear of Xero and LRLX batteries quitting, and all the rigmarole to get it replaced. I wonder what the turn around time and cost will be to replace the integral battery for these units?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Buy the LR then.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Buy the LR then.

You definitely have a knack for stating the obvious….

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If that happens, and Garmin refuses to fix it, I’ll see what Grandpa can cook up, but I suspect the charging port will continue to work with an auxiliary power source. Not gonna sweat it, and certainly won’t avoid a useful product over what-ifs.

I had to McGiver plenty of old crap as a phone man during the transition from electromechanical switches to digital ones. Dollars to donuts that battery is a standard item that at worst will be soldered in.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of nice improvements in the Garmin over the Labradar Gen 1 for sure. Personally I could not see taking a hit on my Gen 1 Labradar, and dropping the cash yet again for a unit that does not address my biggest gripe about the Labradar Gen 1. Others may disagree. That's fine.

To me, the new Labradar LX's ability to add to a previous string (along with most if not all of the improvements the Xero offers) makes it an easy call. I am waiting for the Labradar LX, and I hope I can get my hands on one soon, because this is this is the time of year I like to hit the range a lot.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For those who want a Doppler radar chrono but not willing to pay the price for the latest, Infinition has LRV1 demo units on sale for $399.99 and new ones for $449.99.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.