Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by snoeproe
Buddy of mine owns a local gun shop. If I’m looking for something specific, I’ll tell him to call me if he gets something in on trade or consignment.

It's nice to have buddies that own, or run the LGS. But it can get expensive!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Things have been pretty dull in the used/consignment stuff at the lgs lately here.

Mathew 22: 37-39

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I stopped at my LGS last week to check if they could order one of the new ultimate J frames. While I was waiting I walked past the used rack and spotted a clean 10/22 with a decent scope for 20 year ago pricing. It wasn’t what I was there for but sometimes you have to jump on deals and with all these kids a guy can’t have too many 22s!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
did drool on the SOCOM a little, but that stubby barrel scares me….

Check out the M1A Scouts, much less muzzle blast.

I don't even pay attention to anything new on the shelves, all I look for is the used stuff. There are still a few good deals here and there, but it has been slow the last few months.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was in the gun store (outside of Scheels) today in Sioux Falls. I walked speedily past the rifle/shotgun racks. Seems the market is on cheap plastic junk or at least cheap what I consider junk.
There’s a good shop in Rapid City that I often go to when I’m in Rapid. Their racks are junk too, unless you ask to see the basement. Nice stuff down there. I envy the guys that find a treasure in a pawn shop. I’ve not been so lucky.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
On Monday I'm making my yearly trek to Mid-South Guns in Wagram NC. I have no intentions of buying anything, but in that treasure-trove one never knows...

That is the best gun shop I’ve ever been in!

Agreed. They have some amazing stuff on their racks. I spend an hour or better everytime I am in that part of the country wandering thru their store.

It's one of those places that has to be seen to be believed.

I have never seen so many P64's and old made Kimbers in one spot..

Yeah, he evidently bought a whole collection of Oregon Kimbers a few years back. Had 20 to 25 about two years ago, maybe half that last year. Had some real oddballs i.e. .25-20, .17 K-Hornet, etc.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I found a M70 WinLight in 270Win yesterday. I'll clean it up, mount a scope and assuming it shoots well it'll go to my cousin's kid when he graduates high-school this spring.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nestucca
You are correct BSA. I actually know the old boy that owned it and he sold it because of the recoil as some of those ADLs were pretty light and this one’s no exception.

I had a 700 ADL in 30.06 - it was the most uncomfortable rifle I have ever shot. It was much worse than my Model 70 in .338 or 375 H&H Mauser.

Who is John Galt?
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OGB
On Monday I'm making my yearly trek to Mid-South Guns in Wagram NC. I have no intentions of buying anything, but in that treasure-trove one never knows...

Agreed. They have some amazing stuff on their racks. I spend an hour or better everytime I am in that part of the country wandering thru their store.

Yeah, he evidently bought a whole collection of Oregon Kimbers a few years back. Had 20 to 25 about two years ago, maybe half that last year. Had some real oddballs i.e. .25-20, .17 K-Hornet, etc.

Haven't been there in about 100yrs. Do they still have basically all the Double barrels in Dixie?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OGB

For sure. I probably have pictures of them. They were nice.

Semper Fi
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Love that place in Wagram

Last edited by fats; 03/10/24.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Never heard of the place in Wagram.

What is the name and address please?

I’d like to visit there one weekend.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Was in my LGS yesterday picking something up. Did my usual scan of the used racks. Not one thing made the money in my pocket twitch, let alone “jump”, as the wife likes to say.

Very nearly the same applies to the racks of new ones behind the counter. On the counter there was a little rack with an M1A SOCOM, an S&W folding carbine, and a blued Mini-14 I did drool on the SOCOM a little, but that stubby barrel scares me….

I think M1A SOCOM is a neat little rifle. It does produce a neat little fire ball, as the sun goes down. With the ammo can 7.62x51 ammunition, muzzle rise seems very minimal. I think it is pretty handy to carry with the 10 round magazines.

The used racks can be hit or miss. Though, I have found enough "deals" in the past few months to eliminate my discretionary funds. AR types, the used & abused, and the newer predominantly plastic types, are usually the majority in the racks. Sometimes I find a jewel of interest, to me anyways.

Last edited by ldmay375; 03/11/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Never heard of the place in Wagram.

What is the name and address please?

I’d like to visit there one weekend.

Mid South Guns

Wagram, North Carolina

Address: 24461 Main St, Wagram, NC 28396
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9 AM Tue
Phone: (910) 369-2370

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent about 2 hours turning tags at Mid-South today. They had more than ever, absolutely mind-blowing, but I left with my wallet intact. Talking with Phil (owner), he said he has 300+ guns in the back that he just bought that he doesn't have room to show and is going to Wilmington and then Baltimore to look at more collections...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I keep finding things lately even though theres not much on the used racks. The other day it was a pre 64 in pretty good shape in 270. Time before it was a nice rem 582 and a ruger American 22 lr with a walnut stock. And trip before that it was a new seeking element 28 nosler on clearance along with a proof elevation 20" 308. That was an expensive day.

Between orders and finds I've spent too much lately. I've had to sell several other rifles I wasn't using much to make room in my safes. I think I'm going to sell another one of my new vanguard 223s and my 700 sps 260 and then take a break and just do some loading and shooting. It seems like these cold winter months find me buying and trading around too much.

Bb

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Originally Posted by Nestucca
You are correct BSA. I actually know the old boy that owned it and he sold it because of the recoil as some of those ADLs were pretty light and this one’s no exception.

I had a 700 ADL in 30.06 - it was the most uncomfortable rifle I have ever shot. It was much worse than my Model 70 in .338 or 375 H&H Mauser.

I concur this one and the first one have the most violent recoil of anything I have shot. The young man that sighted it in for the old guy with 180s said he has nightmares from it 😂😂 I just laughed and said I understand.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Agreed. It's about 2.5 hours from me and I try to go a time or two each year. Got a friend down from NY that wants to go so we're going. The town makes Mayberry look like NYC and I'm pretty sure the town whore is still a virgin, but Mid-South has a mind-blowing inventory. Only place I've personally been in that could rival it is Kittery Trading Post in Maine.

The yearly trips to Kittery Trading Post when I was a kid were so magical. The first tin of something other than Crosman pellets - RWS Super Points bought with paper route money and conserved all year long, used only for real "hunting". First centerfire rifle bought with my own part-time, high school job money - a Ruger semi-auto .44 that jammed on every other shot. The gun racks seemed miles long. Anyone remember the old sign on the roof of the building that had a big target graphic in it which someone had shot an arrow from the parking lot? It was there for years in the 80's. Haven't been there in many years, time for a road trip!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I agree. I stay away until I'm ready to spend money.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds like a vacation spot.

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,427
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.