-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found this online a few months back. Put it on layaway and picked it up last week. Best as I can determine, it was made in 1934. Haven’t pulled the grips, but the dealer said it’s marked as being factory serviced, probably a refinish, in April of 1953.

I really like the balance of the non-ribbed barrel. This one probably won’t ever see the woods, but I’m gonna shoot it plenty. Lots of SV, Quiet, and other standard stuff on hand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nice, very nice. Congrats & enjoy it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Very nice . Assume it is a K 22 Outdoorsman.

Will be able to shoot many thousands of .22's in that revolver.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That’s the plan….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My K22 had those grips when I got it and I found some target grips to put on it to fill my big hands. It made a huge difference to me.

My K22 is definitely my most accurate pistol and has an amazing trigger. I'm pretty sure you won't regret buying that one...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Congrats Pappy. Gotta love that old school craftsmanship. The goal of the bench hands at S&W and Colt was to create the finest revolvers in the world, guns that had more accuracy potential in them than what humans could employ - and they achieved it. Today's digitally controlled manufacturing is a wonderful thing that produces delightful mechanisms, but there's that "certain something" that is exhibited by the hand fitting/stoning/polishing of 20's-50's stuff that is of a level that's hard to verbalize.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Read the other day that S&W built those nice ones, including the Registered Magnums, during the depression to keep their skilled workforce busy so they didn’t have to let them go. The Outdoorsman was sold to jobbers for $22-25 bucks during its run, retail was $40, big bucks in the ‘30s. Hell, my father went to work for Ma Bell at 17 in the early ‘40s for $17 a week, until he went in the Army.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Congrats Pappy. Gotta love that old school craftsmanship. The goal of the bench hands at S&W and Colt was to create the finest revolvers in the world, guns that had more accuracy potential in them than what humans could employ - and they achieved it. Today's digitally controlled manufacturing is a wonderful thing that produces delightful mechanisms, but there's that "certain something" that is exhibited by the hand fitting/stoning/polishing of 20's-50's stuff that is of a level that's hard to verbalize.

+1!

I have one just like that Pappy from 1931 (not nearly as good of shape as yours) that is amazingly accurate!! That one will remain with me and someone else will have to sell it later😁! You’re going to love it!!

PennDog

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
gnoahhh,
You are so right. The old school craftsmanship cannot be duplicated without them.

I deal with a couple excellent CNC shops ( the Polish guys are the best), their work is excellent, but they do not have to do any hand-fitting with my parts.

The wonderful Winchester rifles , including the take-down models were all built on old line-shaft equipment.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Sweet old smith Pappy..they are something else!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Congrats on the finest 22 revolvers ever made. You just can't beat these old Smiths. My K22's, Combat Master Piece and my Outdoorsmen will be with me forever.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been thinking about one of the Combat Masterpieces myself. They seem to be a bit easier to come by than 4” Kit Guns. After the smoke clears from this one, we’ll see….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been thinking about one of the Combat Masterpieces myself. They seem to be a bit easier to come by than 4” Kit Guns. After the smoke clears from this one, we’ll see….

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Pappy…doooooooo it!!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have both the combat masterpiece and a Kit gun. For me the CM is easier to shoot accurately, It's bigger and fits in my hand better. However there is no reason not to have both.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I have both the combat masterpiece and a Kit gun. For me the CM is easier to shoot accurately, It's bigger and fits in my hand better. However there is no reason not to have both.

I’ll pass that sentiment on to the War Department😜

Actually, she encourages me to do what I like, so I don’t hide my purchases from her, unless you count that lower I brought in yesterday while she was napping….

Have to say she was impressed with the K22, especially the age. Anything older than me is a real antique to her. Being Chinese, she’s still trying to grasp our firearms freedoms and culture, but she definitely likes that fact that we’re well-armed.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In the vein of pre-war craftsmanship in target revolvers, my focus is on Colt stuff. Read the literature of the era, American Rifleman, books, etc. and you'll come away with the feeling that Colt ruled the roost with their Officer's Models. Certainly debatable, as it has been for 80 years, but the public record doesn't lie.

My 1935 .22 Officer's Model, lettered as being sold to a Captain Frank, Quincy, CA, which I took delivery of a couple weeks ago:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Joined its stablemates .32 and .38:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No danger of me changing the public record, regardless of what I’m shooting!

Those are really nice…

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,616
Posts18,473,964
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.