Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Any of you guys want to participate? I know you guys are shooters here. Time to start pulling those rimfires out and shooting them. I know some of you guys hate measuring groups, so here's your chance, to shoot something different. Lets get it done!!!

Show Eli over at Day at the Range what kind of shooters we have here. I'll start this off.

Decided to dust off the Kidd barreled Ruger 10/22 today. Seems like it's been a couple months since I've shot it. Pulled out the ammo that the rifle likes. Some of you know me well enough now, to know that is the Federal Gold Medal Match. Here's a video, to get your blood pumping, so you know what the challenge is all about:

Here's the official site, so you can print off the targets and do some shooting:
DAY AT THE RANGE OFFICIAL SITE

To begin with, I'll say the weather sucked today. It had been raining, and I was hoping to get over there during a break in the weather. It was sprinkling a little on me, while I shot. Luckily the wind was not howling!!! I shot ONE damn target today, and this was it...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And the official target, with a score of 89. The best I could count. According to a couple guys I talked to on Youtube, they said if the carbon ring touches the line, it's still good, so I had to recalculate my score. That's not the way I normally score a target. Generally if the bullet breaks the line, you get that point. Eli was talking about "punching" some of the close ones with a gauge, so I guess like some of the guys on Youtube said, "it only matters where the bullet went". That FGMM ammo shoots pretty good in this rifle. What say you guys..:
The lower right shamrock had me stumped for scoring. The reason I crossed out the circled "16". One pedal may be a miss? So a score of 20? The carbon ring is so close to the line on a couple too. Eli may have to score that one!!

After watching a guy shoot it this morning, with his souped up 40X and the infamous RWS R50 ammo, it got the juices flowing. Too bad he flubbed it up a little:

Get out there and shoot. Hopefully you have a better day to shoot than I did!!! I'd like to see some CZ 457's, Tikka's, Vudoo's, Vintage rifles, and even some 10/22's participating. If you got them, lets see them!!!

Any of you other guys watch Nibs? He shoots a lot of vintage rifles. I really think he was under the weather when he shot this target:

I'm waiting for another shooter (rimfireSS) named Don, to shoot this one. He shoots a lot of souped up 10/22's. I don't consider mine "souped up", as you guys have seen this one before. I have something like $474.00 into it. It was built right though, and shoots straight.

I know you are thinking about it. Just print out a target...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
😁🤪🤣

👏👏👏

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
😁🤪🤣

👏👏👏

Shoot it. I look forward to seeing your score.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bsa that looks like fun… I know there’s some boys and some rifles heading to the hills next weekend so I’ll try to print some of those out and shoot ‘em up!

I can’t watch that video right now but it looks like a shot contained with the black ring is a five, anything touching the black ring is a two and anything outside of the ring is a zero…

Sound right?

Last edited by Certifiable; 03/06/24.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cert,

Awesome. I knew I could count on you and your brothers to participate. You guys are shooters. I look forward to seeing the ankle deep brass too!!!! Surprised you guys aren't in knee deep snow right now though!!! Some parts of CA are still getting hammered. I'm wanting to see how some of your guys' Vudoo's do. I keep thinking about what you said, and I'll eventually buy one.

Yes on the scoring. You'll notice a couple of mine are riding on the damn ring, or they would have been 5's. The lower right clover also has a broken ring, where I counted it as a 5, but the broken ring is from the lower right bullet hole that barely broke its own ring...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I’m not in those parts buddy it’s blue sky here..but the higher ups are getting dumped on for sure!

As per usual, it’s good news as we can use it
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Just got one to print..
I didn’t notice the shamrocks are different sizes! That upper right is a tiny bastard

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Just got one to print..
I didn’t notice the shamrocks are different sizes! That upper right is a tiny bastard

Ha ha. That's what I thought, when I printed them out too. You aren't kidding. I think the high score was shot by F-Class John, with a score of 75. He shot his Vudoo with Lapua Long range match ammo, so you know it's a pretty good challenging shoot.

I know there has to be some others here with interest. I realize this time of the year sucks in some places. I had to deal with rain earlier. If it's not the wind right now, it's either snow or rain!! Can't properly wring out a new rifle, and can't shoot best scores either. But we can get out and shoot, if it's not terribly bad. Good luck with it buddy. All your brothers are great shooters, so there may be some competition there..

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Yeah I hear you.. I can’t complain about snow or freezing temps but the place we shoot is on top of a small ridge and there is a constant breeze.

It can range from mild to downright blowy but there’s usually a small window in the evening where it goes still, and that’s when everybody grabs their rifles and tries to get serious

My vudoo must be a hermaphrodite because it kicked out a duplicate when I wasn’t paying attention. I’ll bring that one and give it a whirl

I plan on going heavy on the sidearms this trip but I figure I’ll bring a vudoo, KIDD, and maybe knock the dust off a Win 52..

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah I hear you.. I can’t complain about snow or freezing temps but the place we shoot is on top of a small ridge and there is a constant breeze.

It can range from mild to downright blowy but there’s usually a small window in the evening where it goes still, and that’s when everybody grabs their rifles and tries to get serious

My vudoo must be a hermaphrodite because it kicked out a duplicate when I wasn’t paying attention. I’ll bring that one and give it a whirl

I plan on going heavy on the sidearms this trip but I figure I’ll bring a vudoo, KIDD, and maybe knock the dust off a Win 52..

Very nice! Sounds like fun..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I look forward to seeing some pics of the carnage.

Talked to Mr. Revolver guy (Eli) through email, earlier today, and he thought it was pretty cool to see his challenge posted here. He seems like a pretty cool dude. He posted my score a little while ago. Oh, F-class John is not happy!!! I'm glad Eli scored it though, and not me. Some of those were too close for me to say. Like I said, the carbon ring was riding right on the scoring ring.

Would be cool to see some others here participating. You guys know me, I post some of these challenges from time to time. A while back when they were shooting the Z-challenge, I posted that one up, but didn't get a lot of participation. I'm not looking for bragging rights, just some good clean shooting. I think some guys get a little too anal about some things, like "write the yardage on your targets", or your action screw torque has to be just so etc. etc. The only true proof is going to be on the target downrange.

When the weather gets better, maybe some of you guys will pull your great shooting Remingtons out of the closet. I know you got them. Now's when I wish I still had my Savage mk2 FVT!!!! However, the 10/22 with Kidd barrel shoots pretty decent, for a semi-auto. I'm waiting for rimfireSS (Don) to post up his targets. He's a hell of a shooter with his 10/22's. I also hate to beat up on Josh over on pursuit of accuracy, but he's still in pursuit of it. Will he post a video, or target? We'll see.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
BSA the peeps I shoot with DGAF about all the minutiae or worrying about being called out.. it’s just fun to shoot and do something different. This Guinness and Jameson target is a great opportunity for that

We shoot a fair amount of $5 dollar bragging rights shoots at the IBS? green heavy paper targets and it’s purely for fun.

And you know how it goes with rimfires..one minute you’re on fire and the next minute the guy whose a$$ you were chewing up and down has turned the tables on you and you’re looking at your rifle like it just cheated on you

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA the peeps I shoot with DGAF about all the minutiae or worrying about being called out.. it’s just fun to shoot and do something different. This Guinness and Jameson target is a great opportunity for that

We shoot a fair amount of $5 dollar bragging rights shoots at the IBS? green heavy paper targets and it’s purely for fun.

And you know how it goes with rimfires..one minute you’re on fire and the next minute the guy whose a$$ you were chewing up and down has turned the tables on you and you’re looking at your rifle like it just cheated on you

That made me laugh. It's like anything I guess. Well tuned rifle, and good ammo, usually turns in some pretty consistent results. I was thinking earlier today, that I for damn sure would not shoot this match with my new CZ 457 American. Haven't worked all the bugs out of that one yet, or found the exact ammo it likes/loves. I'd be pretty brazen to say I'd even try my new Winchester model 320. Those rifles are just not in the same league as my Kidd barreled 10/22. The new to me TI Elite 22S stainless receiver 10/22 would be lacking as well. I do know that if you set them up right, you don't have to worry about CCB's, "warming up" the damn barrel and first shot fliers, or poi shifts, when you pull them from the stock, and put the action back in. etc. etc., though.

That new to me Winchester model 320, could possibly be competitive in this shoot, but the scope magnification is not high enough. I don't think I'd be able to see the little green dots, or the circle that outlines it. I'd just be aiming at the center of the clover petal, and then guessing where the circle is on the tail of the clover. Other guys running 7 power scopes would be in the same boat, unless they have eagle eyes. Like you said, that one clover is SMALL!!! The rest of them aren't big either, by any means.

At my club in Washington, we always shoot for "fun" as well. Mostly head to head speed shoots, and games with our rifles. But since I live in Nevada now, I don't shoot there as often as I would like. I miss that head to head competition, so I'm relegated to these online shoots. Those that want to join in, are more than welcome to do so. I'd love to see some of the rifles here and how competitive they are. I often hear about them. However, It would be nice to see them in action as well. This is the perfect oportunity.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Kinda wish my printer worked, but not even savvy enough to find how to download the target if I find somebody with a good printer. Looks like fun.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gunzo
Kinda wish my printer worked, but not even savvy enough to find how to download the target if I find somebody with a good printer. Looks like fun.

Click on this sentence to open the target pdf.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That made me laugh. It's like anything I guess. Well tuned rifle, and good ammo, usually turns in some pretty consistent results. I was thinking earlier today, that I for damn sure would not shoot this match with my new CZ 457 American. Haven't worked all the bugs out of that one yet, or found the exact ammo it likes/loves. I'd be pretty brazen to say I'd even try my new Winchester model 320. Those rifles are just not in the same league as my Kidd barreled 10/22. The new to me TI Elite 22S stainless receiver 10/22 would be lacking as well. I do know that if you set them up right, you don't have to worry about CCB's, "warming up" the damn barrel and first shot fliers, or poi shifts, when you pull them from the stock, and put the action back in. etc. etc., though.

That new to me Winchester model 320, could possibly be competitive in this shoot, but the scope magnification is not high enough. I don't think I'd be able to see the little green dots, or the circle that outlines it. I'd just be aiming at the center of the clover petal, and then guessing where the circle is on the tail of the clover. Other guys running 7 power scopes would be in the same boat, unless they have eagle eyes. Like you said, that one clover is SMALL!!! The rest of them aren't big either, by any means.

At my club in Washington, we always shoot for "fun" as well. Mostly head to head speed shoots, and games with our rifles. But since I live in Nevada now, I don't shoot there as often as I would like. I miss that head to head competition, so I'm relegated to these online shoots. Those that want to join in, are more than welcome to do so. I'd love to see some of the rifles here and how competitive they are. I often hear about them. However, It would be nice to see them in action as well. This is the perfect oportunity.
Mentioning the apes fingering the trigger. They have to be able to use that Kidd to the fullest potential or else be at the bottom of the score sheet.

Best of luck to you all, this ape won't be competing.
Construction took out our range road bridge 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by 24HourCampFireGuy50; 03/09/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Mentioning the apes fingering the trigger. They have to be able to use that Kidd to the fullest potential or else be at the bottom of the score sheet.

Best of luck to you all, this ape won't be competing.
Construction took out our range road bridge 2 weeks ago.

That would suck. If my range road got fu cked up, I'd probably be out there personally trying to fix it. Even if I had to use a shovel and a wheel barrow!! Ha ha..

There you go. That makes it easy. Good luck gunzo, if you can get the target printed up. Have a buddy or someone print it up for you. Like certifiable said, some of those circles are smaller than you think, once you get the target in hand. It's a fun shoot. I shot one a couple days ago with my CZ 457, before I glass bedded it. It was kind of all over the place. I did not do very well. Targets like these are harder to shoot for score than a big black bullseye. That CZ 457 American that I put off to the side for a small bit, is getting looked at now though:

Glass bedding:

Shooting a little better now:

When diagnosing it, it preferred a shim in between the barrel and the stock, right under the chamber area:

With the shim/business card in place, it was shooting like this:

So I duplicated the shim, with epoxy in that area. This also beefs up and strengthens the stock, so even though the rifle has plastic pillars, they will never crush. The recoil lug is in the rear of the action of this model, so a pad just forward of the receiver seemed like the most logical fix. Others may go about it in a different manner, but this fix is pretty quick and easy: About an hours worth of work, from start to finish, which also includes cleanup.

I wish I could have shot more yesterday, but they were having a CCW class, and all the other spots were taken up with people, so they asked if they could shoot where I was set up at. I said sure.
So, I sat there and watched them shoot the CCW targets. When they were done, I shot a couple more targets, and went home because the damn wind had picked up like crazy!! Gusts up to 24 mph, so I called it quits..

Now, even though this CZ is shooting better, it doesn't shoot as well as my 10/22 with the Kidd barrel. The score I shoot will not be nearly as good.

Hopefully you get a target printed up, and join in. I was in the lead for a few days, but one guy shot a 93 yesterday. He did it with a Bergara B14. A lot of the other high scores were shot with Vudoo's, of course..

I don't think I'll submit another target over on day at the range, but that may change. On a better day with less wind, I may be able to beat my original score with the 10/22. I'll also staple up a piece of cardboard on the crappy plastic backer board, so my target sits flat, that way the bullet does not tear the paper as easily!!! Just a suggestion, to anyone that shoots this event.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I have a funny story, I probably already told you about it. We were shooting a KYL shoot, and one of my old Airborne Ranger buddies was having an issue with his old rifle. I told him, why don't you just shoot my 10/22. He did, and proceeded to kick all of our azzes with it. He's 80 years old, but still pretty damn spry, and a hell of a good shot. The rifle was dialed in with the ammo it likes, and he could not miss!!!

Then what really bothered us was when he ran out of the box of ammo I gave him (Eley Target), he asked if he could use some of his Remington golden bullets in it. I reluctantly said yes. I dialed up about 10 clicks on the scope, because I knew that ammo was hotter than the subsonic target ammo. He continued to kick our azz with that Kidd barreled 10/22, with that zero on the scope!! He was even tagging the 1/4" targets. Everyone told me to leave that rifle at home next time. ha ha...

That's when he asked If I knew they made a new left handed competition model, and asked if I knew how much they wanted for one. I told him $700.00, because I had just looked at one a few days prior. He said, he'd give me $700 for my 10/22, so I could go and buy the left handed one. I said hell NO, its NOT for sale!!! Ha ha..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Thank you sir.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looks like fun BSA - but I’ll have to shoot it after next weekend (yea I know it’ll be done by then but it’ll be fun anyway!!) as I’m in Tennessee delivering two custom Cricket rifles to my great nephew (6) and niece (4).

Also looks very difficult and great shooting!!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 03/10/24.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.