Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have many gun cleaning rods, my favorite are the bore tech.
Something not yet mentioned is that the rod really does not matter if you use a rod guide
I have a rod guide for every rifle I own most are Possum hollow or Lucas, best investment in gun care you can make and very affordable also

So you are saying you have damaged a barrel before use of a bore guide? What barrel damage did you experience before you started using bore guides?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Never wanted a segmented rod anywhere near my crown.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
This appears to be the top of the line option for coated segmented cleaning rods. Way too expensive for emergency use only.

https://www.proshotproducts.com/30-...it-with-Pro-Tuff-Coated-Rods-_p_775.html

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Like GeoW, I am also interested in anybody who has evidence that a cleaning rod, of any sort, damaged a hunting rifle's barrel enough to be either seen through a bore-scope--or to affect accuracy in a barrel that's been shot a lot. Not saying it couldn't happen, but would like to hear about it.

Back when I first heard/read about bore-guides there weren't many on the market. So I made my own, with case fired in that rifle, with the primer pocket drilled out to a large enough diameter to accommodate the rods I then owned.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I have been using these steel Parker Hale rods since the nineties and have had no issues. The handle on the short one doesn't rotate as I use it to clean the chamber with paper towel wound around the brass jag.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is my field kit...for any obstructions in the paddock I pull a projectile and drop (half-ish) the powder then fire what is left to clear the barrel. Never been an issue with that.
The pull through cleans everything up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I am not fond of segmented rods, particularly not the steel military variety.

Haven't seen a Raleigh salve can in a long time. Brings back memories.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have many gun cleaning rods, my favorite are the bore tech.
Something not yet mentioned is that the rod really does not matter if you use a rod guide
I have a rod guide for every rifle I own most are Possum hollow or Lucas, best investment in gun care you can make and very affordable also

So you are saying you have damaged a barrel before use of a bore guide? What barrel damage did you experience before you started using bore guides?

No idea if they make a difference to the bore or not, I use bore guides to keep crap out of my action, trigger and woodwork.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Deans

This one should amuse you then, I carry my 'Oh Shit Kit' in an old gal 1911 squad cleaning tin.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Deans

This one should amuse you then, I carry my 'Oh Shit Kit' in an old gal 1911 squad cleaning tin.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not seen one of those. Cans like that do come in handy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
One of my spare one piece rods stays in the truck at all times. It rides nice on top of my back seat and has for years with a .22 caliber jag on it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I once took a 2 inch section of a barrel, faced off each end square and slid it onto an old pitted cleaning rod from a military rifle. I slid the barrel chunk back and forth on the rod hundreds of times, deliberatly trying to damage it. Didn't seem to affect it at all. I think those old rifles with the worn muzzles were from countless times getting wet and corroding.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That makes sense--but it also could partly be from the cleaning rod itself getting wet and corroding, at least in older military rifles where the rod's carried in a slot under the barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It was the rifling I was trying to damage, not the old rod.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I understood that--but it doesn't mean an old pitted rod might not be factor in damaging the muzzles of barrels on older rifles, which were often made of softer steels.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Ever seen the inside of a brand new Savage barrel? Now watch it shoot 1/2 moa out of the box.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Concerning field rods:
For 25 years I carried a packet of US GI cleaning rod sections with a loop tip piece and some patches for wiping snow and goo from bores accidentally plugged. It came in really handy several times. The kit was useful for 7mm and larger bores.

A new 6.5 rifle required a new field rod. The best replacement for the 30-cal set seemed be a product from KleenBore, their S170 "Universal Multi-Section Cleaning Rod Set with Vinyl Pouch .22-.45 Cal."
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
From mfr's blurb: Developed for field use, this compact and lightweight military style rod set has been supplied to the US military for its reliable use over the years. Cleans .22-.45 Cal. 30″ Length. ...

This rod is likely to replace my GI sectional rod. The short "adapter" section accepts standard tips with 8-32 threads.

--Bob

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Ever seen the inside of a brand new Savage barrel? Now watch it shoot 1/2 moa out of the box.

Yep, have seen many--partly due to having been sent several for rifle reviews. Have mentioned a few times here and there that they shot very well despite the reaming rings common in 'em.

Which is why I often installed Dyna Bore-Coat in Savages, so I didn't have to clean the damn barrels so frequently while "test-shooting" the rifles. But in the past couple years have found new Savage barrels to be much smoother. Maybe they were listening....

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought several of these a year ago for myself and a few hunting buddies after one of them plugged a muzzle in muddy conditions. Very handy to keep in the hunting pack for emergencies. I wouldn’t make a habit of cleaning a bore with it, but for field use it is the best I have found yet. I keep a USGI rod kit in the trunk of my car.

[img]https://www.atsko.com/rapid-rod-gun-cleaning-rod/[/img]

Last edited by cotis; 03/14/24.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Like GeoW, I am also interested in anybody who has evidence that a cleaning rod, of any sort, damaged a hunting rifle's barrel enough to be either seen through a bore-scope--or to affect accuracy in a barrel that's been shot a lot. Not saying it couldn't happen, but would like to hear about it.

Back when I first heard/read about bore-guides there weren't many on the market. So I made my own, with case fired in that rifle, with the primer pocket drilled out to a large enough diameter to accommodate the rods I then owned.

Some of the Blue Sky Garands out of Korea in the 90's had muzzles that appeared mechanically worn, and it looked like cleaning rods could have been the culprit. I saw some of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cotis
I bought several of these a year ago for myself and a few hunting buddies after one of them plugged a muzzle in muddy conditions. Very handy to keep in the hunting pack for emergencies. I wouldn’t make a habit of cleaning a bore with it, but for field use it is the best I have found yet. I keep a USGI rod kit in the trunk of my car.

[img]https://www.atsko.com/rapid-rod-gun-cleaning-rod/[/img]

Blue or black tape on the muzzle keeps that from happening.

Swifty
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Dewey rods, wiped clean after each pass. Right , wrong IDK. Works for me.
AYE !!!

"not too grumpy"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.