Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I know several people bitten by rattlers here, one when crawling up a hill, one trying to catch the rattler, one while repairing equipment and one died after opening up a den with a bulldozer.
Forgot my neighbor got bit while walking his dogs and the ambulance took him to a town where the hospital had no anti venom, so he had to be flown to another hospital.
They told me it was extremely painful but the anti venom was almost worse.
My findings here are unless you find them holed up like in the wheelline motor cover or on the lawn, the best time is 74 degrees when they stretch out on the rocks or roads.
The best part is the cost after the bite care can be tens of thousands.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tripod3
I know several people bitten by rattlers here, one when crawling up a hill, one trying to catch the rattler, one while repairing equipment and one died after opening up a den with a bulldozer.
Forgot my neighbor got bit while walking his dogs and the ambulance took him to a town where the hospital had no anti venom, so he had to be flown to another hospital.
My findings here are unless you find them holed up like in the wheelline motor cover or on the lawn, the best time is 74 degrees when they stretch out on the rocks or roads.

Guy got copperhead bit here, and the antivenom alone was $50k. eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think the type of terrain people tend to be in has a lot to do with their attitudes regarding snake protection.

As someone mentioned above, here in SC we have every kind of venomous snake found in North America. Here in the Low Country, you often are hunting/fishing/walking around where there's a lot of knee high vegetation, concealing a lot of what might be on the ground. When a friend of mine invited me to hunt his property he was adamant: "Whenever you're out here, wear snake boots and carry a pistol, the cottonmouths are bad around here. Kill every snake you see."

I have a pair of Red Wing/Irish Setter over the calf snake boots. They are some sort of synthetic and lace up so they are really stable and good to walk in, enough so that I use them even when the weather is cold enough not to have to worry about snakes. I've found them to be pretty much an ideal hunting boot for this area.

I might never need snake boots, but then again I might never need the Sig 365 I take everywhere with me too.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Probably gonna jinx myself and get bit this year once they come out....................but here goes.

Heading rapidly toward my 8th decade on this planet, and having run around an awful lot of snaky places in about 6.5 of those decades, I've never found the need for special snake boots or gaiters. That's just me. As someone else pointed out, get 'em if you feel the need.

Here's some info on Arkansas though, take it with however many grains of salt you see fitting (my bold)

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/venomous-snakes-12879/

In Arkansas, statistics documented between 1960 and 2007 by the Arkansas Department of Health noted that only three Arkansans died from snakebites from native species, with all three occurring in the 1960s. One death in 1960 was from a rattlesnake (unknown species) bite, while the other two, in 1964 and 1965, were from bites from an unspecified snake species. Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock (Pulaski County) typically sees twenty to twenty-five snakebites a year, but some of these might be from nonvenomous snakes.

When compared to other states, North Carolina had the most people who suffered venomous snakebites in a single year (nineteen percent of all venomous snakebites), followed by Arkansas with seventeen percent, and Texas with fifteen percent. Half of all bites occur in the age group eighteen to twenty-eight years, with more men being bitten than women.

Humans have a much better statistical chance of being killed from an automobile accident, a lightning strike, an incidence of drowning, a hunting accident, a bee/wasp sting, or an arachnid bite than being killed by a bite from a venomous snake.
Have been going to Alaska and or working and living there since 1987. 2023 was the first bear encounter that was getting close to bothering me. Had to shoot one that was destroying our one hunting cabin. Then a week later around midnight one tore the fly off my tent and almost got one arm in the tent before I ran it off and offered it a few noises with the 10mm.

I've carried all those times. Period. Still do. I've never really HAD to use the defense gun YET... doesn't mean I won't stop carrying it.

I wear snake boots in heavy snake country. Forget the brand but they look like cowboy boots. Probably a pair of Justins IIRC.

Only times I've been bit were once on a thumbnail in a wood pile. Once in a rubber boot in the back of the ankle and once on a finger last spring pulling a limb from under a shredder at dark. A really dumb place to reach... and that one got me just a bit of poison.

Things eventually will happen.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy good (comfortable) snake boots. Treat them well with permethrin. The boots will then protect you from the real danger in the Arkansas woods, ticks and chiggers. You may not need it for snakes, but the treated boots may save you a case of Lymes or RMSF.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've spent a fair amount of time in places with venomous snakes and used to do research on them when I was in graduate school. I never bothered with snake boots or gaiters. I've also handled quite a few venomous snakes and luckily have never been bitten. That said, handling venomous snakes makes it more likely that you might get bitten, and I've known several biologists who were bitten.

A pair of sturdy leather hiking boots will stop most snakebites, and if you want to feel more secure, topping those with gaiters would give you some additional protection although they might be hot in summer weather. Most snakebites to the legs are in the foot and lower part of the leg so boots and gaiters would cover most situations. Only a really large snake or one above you on a slope is likely to bite above the knee.

I've done birding myself and know how you can get fixated on activity in the trees. But it would be wise, regardless of whether you wear snake boots/gaiters or not, to watch where you're putting your feet. It's just another form of situational awareness.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I wasn't going to do it, as it's been posted several times, but feel forced to make a point. My bud getting something out of the back seat of the truck. Heard the buzz & felt the hit on his calf, screamed & ran. Hell, in my part of Ky. we don't have to deal with this.
I stopped him, got info, checked his leg to find the snake didn't quite make the trip, & bud wasn't bit. Even though scared to death of snakes I realized the mad SOB had to be put down. I wasn't gonna be on the lookout for it all day. I moved in.
The end with a lesson; don't have stuff ya need laying all over the ground in that type of country. Our local host made fun of my phobia, got bit a few years later & had a $22,000 anti venom bill.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Snake boots...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by tripod3

Guy got copperhead bit here, and the antivenom alone was $50k. eek

My Aunt got bitten by a Copperhead in the late 70s.
No fee for antivenom. They did a skin pop to test for an allergic reaction and her arm
swelled as big as her (snake bitten) ankle.

Ice, and anti inflammatory meds.
She rode it out.
No bad effects, it was a little weak and would hurt her some.
Went right on taking care of her animals, living alone at the foot of the mountain until she died 9 years ago at 89.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I live at the edge of the Mississippi Delta, small 2 story house on the Alluvial Bluffs. Across the road is a cypress/
tupelo gum brake. I’ve killed cane brake rattlers, copper-
heads and moccasins in my front yard. A free flowing spring is at the left edge and seems to attract. We tend to look where we step or place our hands and feet. We don’t go to the car at night without a flashlight and have security lights. The 3 black guys who poured our slab for the garage used to work for the state forestry and said they hated working this area. The abandoned road behind our home was known as Rattlesnake Ridge and Marion Road. The wife like to have stepped on a small rattlesnake going out the side door. I grew up frog grabbing on various creeks and rivers and it’s amazing how many snakes are attracted to a light. My doctor was bitten by a rattler while moving a push lawn mower at his cabin. Taught my sons to beat on the bottom of a Jon boat before flipping it over. Guy I went to church with went to get papers out of his truck at night while in flip flops. He was bitten by a foot long rattler. He’s now on dialysis of the rest of his life. Take precautions and try to keep your yard clean. Lumber and wood piles attract rodents who in turn attract snakes. It’s the price we pay for
country living. Pistol, rifle, shotgun and hoe are always handy for such events. Wife’s people owned 220 acres here for over 75 years.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Snake boots...

Looks like ostrich to me. It's probably time to put a CCI shot shell in the chamber instead of a JHP.

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by rockdoc
I understand many snakes in the USA don’t respond to compression bandages.

They respond, alright.

They'll bite the crap outta you if ya try and put a compression bandage on em.

🤣👏👍

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Rocky snake boots are pretty comfortable and not really that hot Arkansas is blessed with snakes

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Snakes boots for me, I've been struck while turkey hunting, joker got me on top of the foot just above the toes. Chaps/gaiters wouldn't have done a thing in that area. We are loaded with timber rattlers, always fun to have one crawl into the turkey blind with ya.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Snake boots...

bullchit. Those are ostrich.lol

Last edited by rost495; 03/11/24.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've lived in snake country my whole life.

Never had a pair of snake boots, gaiters, or anything like that.

Watch where you step, look for them in areas you think they may be, and kill 'em all around the house, barn, etc.

Never saw a snake I couldn't outrun if I don't have a handgun on me. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My take, snake boots are kinda like a loaded gun or 4WD.
When ya need 'em and ain't got 'em you are in a bad spot.

Another nod for the Rocky side zip cowboy type snake boots.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Birdshot?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Birdshot?
Snake shot, dog.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am SO glad, we don't have the poisonous snakes around here.

When I hunted ND, I was always looking where I put my hands and feet but the funny thing is I never saw a rattler while on a stalk etc. but we would see them up on roads in the evening and night.

They accidentally got run over...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.