Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Refrigerator/freezer for unheated garage?

I put my 2 yr old Whirlpool refrig / freezer in the garage to storage my Yeti ice blocks and a few cases of beverages.

I does not keep the blocks frozen or the bread, etc were not froze. Put a digital temperature thermometer in and at its lowest setting in was 22 deg but when outside temps went up to 45-50 it got colder.

Anyone know of a refrig/freezer that works in the cold?

thanks

Ted

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Google "garage rated refrigerators"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mine all work fine, I have 5, but they are much older than 2 years.

New schit sucks.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
No freezer problems here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by old_willys
Refrigerator/freezer for unheated garage?

I put my 2 yr old Whirlpool refrig / freezer in the garage to storage my Yeti ice blocks and a few cases of beverages.

I does not keep the blocks frozen or the bread, etc were not froze. Put a digital temperature thermometer in and at its lowest setting in was 22 deg but when outside temps went up to 45-50 it got colder.

Anyone know of a refrig/freezer that works in the cold?

thanks

Could it be part of the frost free cycling?

IC B2

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Hotpoint freezer in my 3rd garage, that I bought in December 2020 from Lowe's. It has kept everything frozen with no issues. It is manual defrost, which I have not had to do yet. I live in SE Louisiana and my 3rd garage is not heated nor cooled. So, the summers get real hot/humid but during the winter, except for a few days that we get hard freezes, the outside temps are mild.

Last edited by JJF; 03/11/24.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have an old one in my unheated garage. In cold outside temps the fridge will get colder and the freezer warmer. I think it's as Longbob said, has to do with the frost free system.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A freezer will work in a cold garage, a freezer/refrigerator not very well, or not at all. A lot of them do not actually have a separate thermostat for the freezer. When you turn down the freezer setting all it's doing is directing cold air that would normally go to the refrigerator, over to the freezer side.

The thermostat sensor bulb senses it's already cold enough and you can't turn it down low enough to make it kick on. That's a problem with closed doors on the fridge/freezer.

My solution was to pull the 2 wires on the thermostat and wire them together. Now it will run, but run all the time. I put one of those electricity timers inline so I could set it to run every so often. Not ideal, but problem solved. Once it gets warm enough, I just plug the thermostat wires back onto the thermostat and use it like normal.

We have a full chest freezer in the garage also, that works fine, but is meant to operate at well below freezing.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I will add that I have an upright refrigerator/freezer in the main garage that to-date has had no problem with either the freezer nor refrigerstor sections. However, this is at least 15 years old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had one on the porch outside in the weather for 8yrs, and never had a problem.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No problems in our garage with the two we have.

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JJF
I will add that I have an upright refrigerator/freezer in the main garage that to-date has had no problem with either the freezer nor refrigerstor sections. However, this is at least 15 years old.

I think the problem is on the newer ones, at least mine, is that it is a combo with no actual thermostat for the freezer side. It just takes the air and directs gives more to either side based on the where the dial is turned on the freezer side. That dial on the freezer side just changes flaps that directs air to either side.

The sensor bulb is located outside, underneath the fridge/freezer. I'm not any kind of fridge/freezer guy, but I'm assuming that bulb gets it's temperature reading that comes from the small tube coming from the thermostat. Because the bulb is outside the unit, and if in a cold climate, it's already way colder than any setting on that fridge, and it isn't gonna run, period.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Old willys: We have two "freezers" in our garage (both Frigidaire Commercial's) and they work perfectly (15 years old) - and we have a "Conservator" convertible refrigerator/freezer (you get to choose what its function will be - refrigerate the whole unit or the whole 6' 4" tall unit can with a flick of a switch be a freezer!) which is almost 2 years old now.
They have all worked perfectly since we bought them new and installed them in our 3 car garage.
They sure come in handy.
I can not imagine why your units don't work correctly - good luck with this problem.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I've had one on the porch outside in the weather for 8yrs, and never had a problem.

It is a 19 yr old fridge.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our freezer just quit working after just under 50 years. Most of it's life it was in an unheated porch. It's last few years it was in my basement --- unheated also. I know of quite q few ranchers that have theirs in their open machine sheds.
A freezer was one of the first purchases when my wife and I got married. Best money we ever spent.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mine will not work when it gets cold. I usually put a portable heater to warm up the garage and it works. certainly a pia but it works

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rylee1
Mine will not work when it gets cold. I usually put a portable heater to warm up the garage and it works. certainly a pia but it works

Mine was free so I can't complain, but it is a pain. I spied it in a back alley with a sign on it that said works/free and it was in really nice shape so I took the chance and loaded it on my truck. Works just as it should once it stays above freezing in the garage.

This past winter I didn't fool with bugging the thermostat wires together and plugging the power cord into a electricity timer so I could make it run every so often. We just managed to get everything into our chest freezer, and into our fridge/freezer combo in the house, and I unplugged it for this winter. Once it gets up to and stays around 40 in the garage we will go back to using it like normal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here most simply put whatever they took out of their kitchen in the garage. That said - you can trick the fridge and freezer into running with an Inkbird controller like this.

Plug the fridge into the "cooling" section and the inkbird into the wall. Set your temp. I have my freezer set as cold as possible and the inkbird keeps it where I want for fermentation. I put a jar of water with the inkbird probe in it in there. (I also have a warming side/cycle but that's because I'm trying to hold temps to a specific degree and do ramp ups etc - not for keeping ice cold or beer cold)

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Same here.

3 in one barn
1 in my ATV shed

2 out on the patio

One gets a little a laggy but nothing completely thaws.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The soda vending machines must have a heater.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (160user, 264mag, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,676
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.