Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19289074 03/11/24
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Isn't a big deal until it is. LOL Damn, you can always tell it's poison oak, it has a certain kind of intense itch. When I was a kid I used to get it horrible when I went fishing down at the crick.

Nowadays I try to cut my firewood where I don't have to worry about it getting on the wood. The other day I cleared a giant madrone from a road and set the wood aside for later. It'll have oil on it. Looks like I got some on my arm from some wood I carried in yesterday. Thinking I need a wood tote to bring madrone in the house rather than cradle it on my arm. Or throw on a flannel shirt for bringin in wood.

I can wade through it when I'm hunting, but generally go up high to avoid it. Carrying baby wipes just a swipe or two if you brush up against it and keep going. Don't sit down to glass and rest your arms on your knees though! Poison oak and ticks, don't know which is worse.

Definitely a learning curve to living in the low country. Great hardwood here, but comes at a price.

LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where latex gloves when you pee!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poison oak, sumac, or ivy all have the same oil - urushiol. It's easy to remove if caught early. Alcohol takes it right off. Those tiny sanitizer wipes with alcohol will work but it takes a lot of them. They make larger ones, like 5x7", that do a good job and are a very useful item for a pack or 1st aid kit. Baby wipes usually don't have alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol also works fine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I get poison ivy/oak systemically. Meaning if I get it anywhere on my body it pops up in random places. Usually it goes away with time like you’d expect but every 4-5 years I get a case bad enough to require shots

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve had it bad a few times. An old black woman told me when it comes up, scratch it raw with bleach. That will kill the cshit. I’ve done that many times when I’ve gotten that crap. It works!

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I’m not sure if they make it still but Tecnu soap works well. They made the stuff as snake oil to wash off nuclear contamination. I had the stuff really bad when I was young and while cutting timber I would be wading through and cutting the stuff just get a small spot on the wrist now and then. I’m fortunate to have a good tolerance to it and feel for the people who do not.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Costco baby wipes in a ziploc when in poison oak country. They work fine. Gettin it between your fingers after lacing up your boots can be avoided with a good wipe down.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blue Dawn dish soap to remove the oils as soon as you can after exposure. Witch Hazel and Fells Naptha to dry it out there after.

Hate that schidt but the above makes things a bit more tolerable.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm in the Clorox camp, works for me..

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I used to have to work on flails/brush hogs/masticator heads...in the spring they would be just dripping with poison oak oils. I used to suit up just shy of level three hazmat..paper coveralls over regular coveralls, face shield (impact wrench flings the oils), surgical gloves. Much to the amusement of the equipment operators...but, they never volunteered to help I noticed.
Anyway, after trying every product advertised, I gotta say, nothing is as effective for immediate exposure where there is no running water, as aerosol brake cleaner. I'd wash my tools with it, my exposed body appendages, boots, hands, wrists, and rule number two should be obvious, take a piss before you suit up.
I have often wondered if the diabolical Noah took poison oak seeds aboard the ark with the mosquito larvae and yellow jacket nest.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's on your property, burn it every couple years.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Sustained war each spring with brush killer is pretty effective at keeping it at bay.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I used to have to work on flails/brush hogs/masticator heads...in the spring they would be just dripping with poison oak oils. I used to suit up just shy of level three hazmat..paper coveralls over regular coveralls, face shield (impact wrench flings the oils), surgical gloves. Much to the amusement of the equipment operators...but, they never volunteered to help I noticed.
Anyway, after trying every product advertised, I gotta say, nothing is as effective for immediate exposure where there is no running water, as aerosol brake cleaner. I'd wash my tools with it, my exposed body appendages, boots, hands, wrists, and rule number two should be obvious, take a piss before you suit up.
I have often wondered if the diabolical Noah took poison oak seeds aboard the ark with the mosquito larvae and yellow jacket nest.

All a part of God's plan to punish us for the Sin of Eve for eternity...............or at least until we're no longer on Earth

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Isn't a big deal until it is. LOL Damn, you can always tell it's poison oak, it has a certain kind of intense itch. When I was a kid I used to get it horrible when I went fishing down at the crick.

Nowadays I try to cut my firewood where I don't have to worry about it getting on the wood. The other day I cleared a giant madrone from a road and set the wood aside for later. It'll have oil on it. Looks like I got some on my arm from some wood I carried in yesterday. Thinking I need a wood tote to bring madrone in the house rather than cradle it on my arm. Or throw on a flannel shirt for bringin in wood.

I can wade through it when I'm hunting, but generally go up high to avoid it. Carrying baby wipes just a swipe or two if you brush up against it and keep going. Don't sit down to glass and rest your arms on your knees though! Poison oak and ticks, don't know which is worse.

Definitely a learning curve to living in the low country. Great hardwood here, but comes at a price.

Used to get it all the time as a kid. Now days I can walk through a patch of that stuff and it doesnt bother me at all.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Seems like I get blamed a lot for stuff women screw up, one in particular.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I got into poison oak a couple years ago while I was hanging a tree stand. I hate that stuff!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Poison oak, sumac, or ivy all have the same oil - urushiol. It's easy to remove if caught early. Alcohol takes it right off. Those tiny sanitizer wipes with alcohol will work but it takes a lot of them. They make larger ones, like 5x7", that do a good job and are a very useful item for a pack or 1st aid kit. Baby wipes usually don't have alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol also works fine.

Dawn dish washing liquid

You have about 30 minutes from time of suspected exposure to get it washed off.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Damn Bobmar you got it pretty good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If it's on your property, burn it every couple years.

Dont be in the smoke, the oil can travel in the smoke, lungs too

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Damn Bobmar you got it pretty good.
When / if you get it that bad

Go to your Doc or Urgent care and request a steroid shot.
Usually clear it up fast, 3-5 days

No sense in risking a secondary, opportunistic Staph infection with that much open skin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 358wsm, 10Glocks, 907brass, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.