-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
1950, Redfield rear peep and front globe. 26” barrel. Shoots CCI SV ammo into small groups at 50yards. One of my favourite rimfires.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the 513s is one of the finest 22 rimfire rifles.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 513s are normally good shooters as long as the barrel is in good shape. The 500s of the 510, 511, 512 and 513s were built when Remington built accurate and solid put together rimfire rifles. Won a few small bore rifle silhouette matches with mine over the years.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RemingtonPeters & Rapier: My Remington 513-T (TargetMaster) shoots VERY well and I agree the workmanship from that era was par excellence for the dollars spent to own one!
I should shoot it more often.
If I recall correctly mine was made in 1948.
Wind has been horrible here for nigh'on two weeks straight - no shooting in sight - supposed to be high winds again tomorrow here.
Wish I had an indoor range.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
513 Sporter...
My favorite .22 by far! I have owned 4 over the years (currently have 3) but none with a peep. I think my first one had originally been set up that way but someone had removed the sights and replaced them with a Stith mount/Lyman Alaskan scope. It was a good classic rig but I sold it a few years ago.

My "most used" 513S is one that was drilled for a Weaver side mount. While it hurt its collector value, it has made it much easier to mount a full sized modern scope on for hunting, etc. The gun is hefty enough to support a full sized scope well and does it shoot... almost feel guilty about the number of jackrabbits that have fallen to that gun.

My other 2 are later factory "grooved" ones. They are more of a challenge getting the grooved rings to support a full sized scope and NOT have to remove the Marbles rear sight. My aging eyes are begging for a compact AO variable for indoor and shorter range shooting in the winter, etc. Thus far, I am still looking for the right "high" rings...

One criticism I often see mentioned with these guns is their triggers. My 513 triggers have always been quite crisp and not sloppy or heavy. They have had no problem being MY most consistently accurate .22s (vs Anschutz, ULA, Rem 581, Tikka, old T-bolt, etc.)

I know Digital Dan is a big fan of these. To the OP, gorgeous rifle!!! Is that an original example of the rubbed oil finish that could be ordered from the Remington factory back in the day???

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes the trigger in mine is very good. Surprisingly good at 2.5#.
The rifle pictured above I refinished. It was in nice shape prior but as you know, Remingtons early finishes were more of a paint in attempt to make a consistent looking product. Though not original, it is better imo. There hasn’t been an early Remington that I haven’t improved by a refinishing job. They put the effort in the metal work, which I appreciate. But the original finishes were poor compared to the wood they covered.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Supposedly a rubbed oil finish was an option at one time from what I have read on RFC.

Yours is indeed a beautiful rifle! The peep set-up would likely work quite well for my eyes now... it was how my T-bolt came set up as well (2nd ".22") and I remember it shooting quite well. Who knows, I may come full circle before it is all over!

These 513S's are hard to find in almost any configuration. I have never just "picked one up" sitting in a LGS. One of these days I need to shoot some "quality" .22 target ammo like BSA and others shoot to see what it will really do!

Sitting in a grove of KS cottonwoods in the fall picking off a few Fox bushy tails is still on my bucket list.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now, that is a sweet rifle right there. I am a fan of these as well. My buddy has the "T" version with factory target sights. His shoots almost as well as my old (1949) Winchester model B. The sporter versions, like what the OP has, are pretty sexy. If a rifle can be that.. If I found a sporter version for a good deal, I'd snag it in a hurry!!! Nice rifle OP. Thanks for sharing. You sure do have some nice rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I too am a fan of the 513S - an incredibly accurate rifle for sure. I wasn’t as lucky with the trigger - mine was inconsistent and varied between about a pound and 2 pounds. I’m sure someone fiddled with it at some point and if you’ve ever tried to “adjust” one it’s not user friendly (the 510 series trigger system is an engineering “marvel”). That said still one of my favorite sporters and a great squirrel getter!!

PennDog

p.s. to the OP - that is a beautiful 513!!

Last edited by PennDog; 03/11/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,062
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.