Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks goes out to our friend Jeff/RAS for passing along the scope sale info from Midway that made this a pretty slick little rifle setup. It languished with a SWFA 2.5-10 and was in dire need of something brighter. I missed an opportunity at a really big blacktail at last light three years ago because of that scope so the rifle had been set back until something better came along.

This scope is a Bushnell Elite 4500 1-4 with a 30mm tube. Jeff let me know it was on sale 50% off for $125 and for that money I said heck ya I'll try it. Don't know if it's still on sale but if you need a low power scope this is a dandy. Well, it's a low power scope for sure, but it works perfectly on this little rifle. I was surprised how it walked right in to bullseye for me at 100 yards.

Was going to sight it a little high at 100 (shot #4) but then I thought with only 4x why not just dead on @ 100, so I dropped the last two right in the kisser and said good enough! Best part is it loves the 100 gr Barnes TTSX bullets. My feeling is the 250 is on the light side for less than perfect broadside shots but the Barnes should multiply the 250's effectiveness on raking and end shots.

This little 250 needs to go hunting blacktails next season.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a link to the scope. Looks like they still have some.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102489474?pid=677221

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Please tell me you shot that target offhand. grin

I like short low power scopes. They blend nicely with vintage hunting rifles rifles IMO. (Not that this is what I would call "vintage", but I guess a young whippersnapper would say so!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I like short low power scopes. They blend nicely with vintage hunting rifles rifles IMO. (Not that this is what I would call "vintage", but I guess a young whippersnapper would say so!)

At the range or for other than about 30 minutes every day, sure.

But, even with the best quality glass I personally don't have any use for hunting scopes less than 36mm objective in less than optimum light situations the first 15 minutes of shooting time or the last 15 minutes of shooting time. Had to learn that lesson the hard way too many times.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice lookin rig Roy. Nice wood on that 99. I see Midway still has them on sale for $125/half price.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

No trick shooting here Gary. At just 4x it took every ounce of control I could muster over bags to do that.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

No trick shooting here Gary. At just 4x it took every ounce of control I could muster over bags to do that.

It looks like 6 dead deer to me.... grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking good.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great deal Roy.

I bought two of these so far. I don’t know if it’s because of the 30mm vs 1 inch, but I find these extremely clear. I put one on a 99R and another on a Marlin 45/70 guide gun. Both scopes tracked perfectly sighting in and certainly look “right” on my rifles.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 99guy

But, even with the best quality glass I personally don't have any use for hunting scopes less than 36mm objective in less than optimum light situations the first 15 minutes of shooting time or the last 15 minutes of shooting time. Had to learn that lesson the hard way too many times.

Point taken, Randy. Thing is for me the first 15 minutes of daylight usually finds me still hitting the snooze button, and I've long since chosen to not stumble out of the woods in the dark. The thrill of putting myself out there in the dark recedes proportionately with age.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
had to order one

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Gary, I guess it isn't clear, I walked the scope in to the last two shots. My point was that this scope seems to track nicely, moving me right in with each adjustment. The last two shots are one scope setting, the first four shots are moving the scope.

LOL
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

In and of itself, 4x may not be as much of an impediment as you think. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Good shooting mathman. Yes, it's all about the target. If the target is sized right, 4x can be accurate. I used 2" red dots and could just see four little pies after splitting them with the crosshairs. A little bigger yet might have been better.

LOL
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good shooting mathman. Yes, it's all about the target. If the target is sized right, 4x can be accurate. I used 2" red dots and could just see four little pies after splitting them with the crosshairs. A little bigger yet might have been better.

The target does weigh heavily in the combination. I suggest trying one like mine with the line thickness adjusted to match your reticle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Point taken, Randy. Thing is for me the first 15 minutes of daylight usually finds me still hitting the snooze button, and I've long since chosen to not stumble out of the woods in the dark. The thrill of putting myself out there in the dark recedes proportionately with age.

Laughin'!

I'm pretty much a 9am to 4pm hunter these days and pass on any bucks that aren't worthy of a trip to the taxidermist unless they look like they should be culled for the good of the herd.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Laughin'!

I'm pretty much a 9am to 4pm hunter these days and pass on any bucks that aren't worthy of a trip to the taxidermist unless they look like they should be culled for the good of the herd.

I hope you guys didn’t take that the wrong way. I’m not suggesting what should be important to everybody when choosing an optic, I was merely commenting on what I need. 😁

~Admiral Yamamoto~

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Picked one up for my 450 BM should be a good combination

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up Roy. I really like the look of the straight tube scopes on my 99’s. I have a few Leupold 1-5’s now but i just ordered one. Never really had any issues with Bushnells.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a bushnell forge that I like.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.