-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was surprised at the temperature change, wasn't expecting that much difference.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
I was surprised at the temperature change, wasn't expecting that much difference.

No kidding. my first one was in Colombia in 1995 or so. It was in their hot season and I was at 10 deg latitude. HOT and very strong sun rays. Went from this to cool in a matter of a second when the last bit of sun finally got occluded. And then 4 minutes of dark glorious cool and then as soon as the first diamond like light beam blasted out of the side of moon, the temp just skyrocketed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Four+ minutes of totality is about as good as it gets.

I saw one such in Oaxaca summer of ‘91, quite by chance when visiting a friend.

A ring of fire around a black sun, bright stars in a black sky around the sun, surrounded by a 360 degree dawn around the horizon. I suspect the black sky/stars effect might be less dramatic closer to the edge of the shadow/shorter full totality.

I’ve already seen one, so won’t be braving the crowds for this one. Well worth a trip for someone who hasn’t.

What do you mean you'll sit this one out? It is coming to your town.

Start of the partial eclipse for downtown San Antonio will begin at 12:14 PM CDT and end at 2:55 PM CDT. Maximum eclipse will take place at 1:34 PM CDT. Spectators in the San Antonio area will observe 99.9% obscuration of the Sun during this time.

A partial eclipse is a world away from a full eclipse, not even close, all the way until the moment the sun is completely blocked.

School is in session where I’m at that day. Absentee rates, among both staff and students will be astronomical (and should be). I’ve been encouraging everyone who can get to an area of totality to go but for many kids it ain’t that easy.

IIRC Lackland AFB on the West Side will get nine seconds of totality. A ten minute drive away and you’re at a full minute, a bit past that 90 seconds. That’s how local the edge of that round shadow of full totality is.

The only partial eclipse I’m sorry I missed IIRC was around May of maybe 2013. Partial eclipse, I didn’t even bother to step outside. I should have done, I didn’t realize the sun was gonna set in partial eclipse, that was spectacular, like a multi-planet system from science fiction.

All I had to do was step outside.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Be working 23 floors up right in the path. Should be pretty neat

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We had 99.1 on the eclipse several years ago and it was fantastic. I surely wouldn't complain about 99.9

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Backyard should be 99.8.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm dead center in the path. It is supposed to last 4 minutes or so. I'm betting it will be cloudy but the family will come over for a cookout and party.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes! Do get to the centerline if possible. A 90% view is nothing like a 100% scene. Damned near a religious experience and something one's kids and you will never forget. For sure though, do run down some glasses or filters that allow for safe direct viewing.

The image below is a composite (beginning to end going left to right) Cookie assembled from our Aug 2017 event here in Oregon. She used a homemade mylar filter I put together for the earliest and later stages, as there is enough light intensity then to fry one's camera sensors. The mylar blocks about 99.9% of the incoming light, so one gets a color shift. When one reaches the diamond ring - totality - diamond ring phases, it's safe to remove the filter and acquire the white light images. Then one has to go back to the filter.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For posting purposes and image assembly, these snapshots are heavily downsized. At full resolution, one can see small black sunspots on the original shots. It's interesting to observe those spots over time, as they move across the sun's surface and out of sight at different speeds. She did these shots with a Canon EOS 70D wearing a Canon 500mm prime lens. I can't recall the settings but do remember she simply went with what the camera's metering system suggested.

I made some attempts with another camera (EOS 50 D) and 100-400mm Canon zoom, but they came out poorly and were round filed.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/15/24.

1Minute
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,228
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.