Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
About ready to mount a Leupold 1.5-5 on my 375.

Planned to go with Leupold DD & Low Rings - Bases arrived today and I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the looks. I have another front base that isn't extended, but not sure about the position of it on the ocular once it's mounted.

Didn't really want to spend another 150-170 on Talley Steel bases, but what are some other fairly attractive options or any pics with Leupold DD's installed?

Thanks for any recommendations

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like Warne Maximas. Similar look to Talley.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here is my Win Classic Stainless 338
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
T
Cone Trol is an old skool super clean mounting system.

Honestly though, the Leopoldo Back Country or Talley Light Weight ring/base combo is my preference if you don’t need QD function.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wouldn't mind trying the Backcountry mounts, as they're a little heavier built than the Talleys but I don't believe the make the correct one for the rear screw spacing.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Here is my Win Classic Stainless 338
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's a classic look to me. ^^^

DD's always look good, I don't know what the OP's issues is, without pics.

When I'm not using DD's, I'll use the weaver style cross slot mounts for my heavier kickers. I'll also use steel over aluminum in those instances. Warne and Leupold both make some good mounts/bases. Then I prefer Burris Zee rings, or the Leupold PRW's for more heft on the magnums like the 375 H&H.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Op needs to post a picture, so he can show us exactly what he doesn't like about them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
i have talleys on mine. Only way I would go different would be warne bases and warne QR rings

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Another consideration!

The Leupold QD base/rings. This opens up the opportunity to use your iron sights, hopefully never, if necessary. We’ve (wife and I) have been using these on our Model 70’s since the mid ‘90’s, she on her SS push feed .338 WM and I on my .375AI. We have back-up scopes mounted and zero’d in rings.

I tested mine for their repeatability, a couple times by swapping scopes. They came back to their respective zero’s.

I hope to not need them, but they’re there for emergency use, and I have confidence in them! My opinion on them for what it’s worth! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll take some pics in the next day or so, when I'm able.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb
Another consideration!

The Leupold QD base/rings. This opens up the opportunity to use your iron sights, hopefully never, if necessary. We’ve (wife and I) have been using these on our Model 70’s since the mid ‘90’s, she on her SS push feed .338 WM and I on my .375AI. We have back-up scopes mounted and zero’d in rings.

I tested mine for their repeatability, a couple times by swapping scopes. They came back to their respective zero’s.

I hope to not need them, but they’re there for emergency use, and I have confidence in them! My opinion on them for what it’s worth! memtb

Good suggestion. Some say the oldstyle Leupold QD's are not very strong. The ones I'd use (and have experience with) are the QRW/PRW base, that has the cross slots like the weaver bases, only they are made from steel. Another good thing to use on the heavy kickers. As I stated in an earlier post. However, if the op does not like the location of the DD's, for whatever reason, he's not going to like the oldstyle QD's either. Again, need to see pictures, to know exactly what he's talking about. Then maybe we can offer some acceptable alternatives..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
For me the attraction of QD mounts are the ability to have a backup scope along already zeroed. I have them on my Super Express but not for iron sight use, I can’t get my face low enough to use them.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tmitch
For me the attraction of QD mounts are the ability to have a backup scope along already zeroed. I have them on my Super Express but not for iron sight use, I can’t get my face low enough to use them.

I have the same issue with the irons, but as I mentioned, hopefully the irons are “never” needed. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Good suggestion. Maybe even having the ability to switch to a higher powered variable would be useful. Like memtb said though, it's nice to have irons as well, but I bet the OP's doesn't.. My pre 64 375 H&H's did, but that's not a classic stainless. The op also needs to make sure he orders the correct bases. The ones for the post 64 express models. He probably already knows that though.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb

I have the same issue with the irons, but as I mentioned, hopefully the irons are “never” needed. memtb

That's where the pre 64's shine. The ability to use both, and the factory montecarlo stock is very forgiving.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
One thing I found with the Leupold QR mounts (the ones with the stud on the ring bottom) is the rings may need to be lapped to release easily. I have a set that work fine until you torque the scope into the rings, then it's difficult to remove the scope/rings from the rifle. Everything has to be square and parallel for those studs to slide in and out of their respective hole in the base. No, KY doesn't help. wink

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I thought that the Classic SS Model 70’s in .375 H&H came in this configuration! However, I’ve been wrong before. memtb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One thing I found with the Leupold QR mounts (the ones with the stud on the ring bottom) is the rings may need to be lapped to release easily. I have a set that work fine until you torque the scope into the rings, then it's difficult to remove the scope/rings from the rifle. Everything has to be square and parallel for those studs to slide in and out of their respective hole in the base. No, KY doesn't help. wink

Good point about that set up. You'd think the receiver would have to be close to perfect too. Some aren't, as you know. I have a set, for an H&H receiver, but have never used them. Decided to go a different direction. The OP is getting some good info here.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Biebs

QD's are nice if you want back up irons.

This one was too barrel heavy, chopped it to 21" got it fluted which helped the balance and handling.

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Biebs

QD's are nice if you want back up irons.

This one was too barrel heavy, chopped it to 21" got it fluted which helped the balance and handling.

DF

I handled one quite a few years ago…..yes they were incredibly heavy!

Yours looks good……and I suspect handles even better. For timber/brush work it should be an awesome package! Out of couriosity what does it weigh - scoped, loaded, and slung? memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/14/24.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Can’t remember. Will weigh it and post results when I get home from the office.

DF

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,066
Posts18,482,544
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.