Print Thread
Hop To
J
jc189 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I took my Grandson and Granddaughter to camp for our Youth Turkey weekend. Merritt is 9 years old and his sister, Addie is now 11. She shot her first Gobbler during Last years Youth Weekend.

Saturday morning Addie would be hunting with me and Merritt would hunt with his Dad. Addie and I set up in the same spot where she shot her bird last year. There was not as much sign as last year but there were some turkeys in the area. Addie would be shooting her 28ga O/U with #9 TSS and a Carlson TSS Turkey Choke. We got set up and at first light and I hit the call. We were both surprised with a quick response from a Gobbler.

Last year the action happened pretty quick, so I told her to get ready. After calling again he responded and was heading in our direction. The Gobbler was now about 100yds in front of us but stopped there. He must have seen or heard something he didn't like because he hung out there and would not come any closer. After a while it became obvious that this wasn't gonna happen and we were not gonna get a shot at this guy. Addie said she wasn't feeling well and we headed back to camp.

When back at camp Merritt and his Dad said they had two Tom's come in at about 35-40 yards but they could not get a clear shot. Merritt was shooting a 410 with #9 TSS with Jebbs TSS Turkey chokes. My SIL, Merritt's Dad, said he didn't want him to shoot unless he was completely sure of the shot. Good call. This would be his first Tom and we all wanted to see a positive outcome.

My Daughter, Addie's Mom, took her to the urgent care in town and turned out that Addie had early symptoms of strep throat. So Addie was not going to be doing any more hunting. Tough luck for an 11 year old on Youth weekend. So the plan was for Merritt his Dad and I to hunt together. Since Addie was not hunting I told them Merritt should take the 28ga. A little extra shot couldn't hurt if one was skittish and didn't want to get real close.

That afternoon the three of us set up in the same area that they saw the Tom birds earlier. It was a cloudy afternoon and there was reports of rain. We saw a few hens and couple of jakes. It started to drizzle, I thought oh great here comes the rain. About a minute later we see something moving in the distance coming in our direction. It was a Gobbler and he was coming in pretty quick. Merritt got on the gun and got ready to shoot. The Tom was about 30yds out now and almost in the open. Merritt's Dad told him as soon as he had a clear shot to shoot him. It seemed like forever to me, I kept thinking to myself shoot, shoot. Then finally Bang. In reality it was only about a minute, but the Tom needed to take another step or two for him to have a clear shot from his angle. He Dropped him in his tracks, First Gobbler down.

Well Needless to say it was hugs and high fives all around. And one Happy little 9 year old. I feel truly Blessed for having Grandkids and a family that hunts together.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awsome!
My grandson has just turned one so I still have a long wait.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Alrighty 👍, Love to see the kids in action.
Strep is tuff stuff!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff. Congrats

Think i need a bigger gun
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mighty Fine!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good on you and the SIL! Funny how nothing makes you feel more blessed than blessing others.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good deal, congrats,

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have a couple of pics of my son with his first turkey in almost exactly the same poses from about 30 years ago. I could show you exactly where we were set up on a topo or aerial photo. 😊

Congrats. Some big smiles there…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice story and great pics! That's an awesome way to start off your season. Congrats....well done!

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Fantastic!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Very cool story and pics. I hope your grand daughter gets feeling better quick.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1234, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,529
Posts18,472,680
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.