Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My original post was asinine. Apologies. I have a nice opportunity on a used M70 270 WSM Stainless. Looks to be post-Classic, BACO or later. Low round count, supposedly.

Here’s the deal. I don’t have a lot of use for a 270 WSM.

Any thoughts on something great to do with this action/rifle? Really hard to pass up a stainless M70 at a good price. If all else fails, I’ll just buy and hold.

Last edited by Slope77; 03/11/24.
GB1

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Going to make mine a 450 Marlin

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
450 marlin, 6.5 or 7 prc, 6.8 western, 458x2", there are wsm wildcats in about any caliber you can think of. I would suggest the B&M series but those seem to be on hold after Michael broke ties with SSK

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slope77
My original post was asinine. Apologies. I have a nice opportunity on a used M70 270 WSM Stainless. Looks to be post-Classic, BACO or later. Low round count, supposedly.

Any thoughts on something great to do with this action/rifle? Really hard to pass up a stainless M70 at a good price. If all else fails, I’ll just buy and hold.

Ok, so what are you wanting? Any particular caliber? Not cartridge, asking "caliber". Would you be happier with a 6.5 or a 7mm, or maybe even a 30 caliber? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 270 WSM, as far as cartridges go. If you handload. You may want to explain what you are wanting, and why. Also, unless you are getting a stellar deal, you may want to pass on this BACO, and look for one chambered in the cartridge you want. I saw a beautiful 270 Winchester BACO sporter the other day for $700.00. It was also scoped, so not a bad deal for the package. However, I don't like BACO's. I'd look for an early classic, personally it I were looking for a good rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
For a good price buy it and trade it off for something you want

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I explored this same route on a 300wsm I had. I think that the 6.5 PRC is an easy swap only needing a barrel change. I was personally hoping that the 7 PRC would of worked but it requires a long action which may be an issue for some makers WSM actions.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Ok, so what are you wanting? Any particular caliber? Not cartridge, asking "caliber". Would you be happier with a 6.5 or a 7mm, or maybe even a 30 caliber? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 270 WSM, as far as cartridges go. If you handload. You may want to explain what you are wanting, and why. Also, unless you are getting a stellar deal, you may want to pass on this BACO, and look for one chambered in the cartridge you want. I saw a beautiful 270 Winchester BACO sporter the other day for $700.00. It was also scoped, so not a bad deal for the package. However, I don't like BACO's. I'd look for an early classic, personally it I were looking for a good rifle.

You know, these are exactly the things I was thinking about. Price is $550 with a low round count. I agree on Classics. Had one 7mm-08 BACO that I didn’t love and sold. The thing is, I have several Classics, including a 7mm RM and a 270 Win, among others, and I love those rifles. I don’t really even look at rifles other than M70s at 243 and above.

I have thought about the 6.5 PRC or a 6.8 Western, but it would be really hard to justify the cost of a rebarrel for almost identical rounds. In fact, a touch weaker rounds, unless you want to shoot really heavy bullets for long range (500 yds+), which isn’t my cup of tea. With 150s under 500, I think the 270 WSM beats them both.

Purpose? Maybe an elk rifle for a teenager, female, or less experienced shooter. Kind of a 7mm RM light (did I mention I have a 270 Win already?). 270 WSM really isn’t “lighter”. 6.5 may have some attraction for lighter recoil.

Anyway as I think about it, I’m not sure it serves a purpose for me. But the price is right, and I love M70s.

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Poconojack
For a good price buy it and trade it off for something you want

That is probably where this will end up. I will mess with it a bit and then flip it.

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
I explored this same route on a 300wsm I had. I think that the 6.5 PRC is an easy swap only needing a barrel change. I was personally hoping that the 7 PRC would of worked but it requires a long action which may be an issue for some makers WSM actions.

Yeah, I don’t want to get up into 7mm RM range with this. I have one, a Stainless Classic, it is my main rifle, I love it, and it will be the last rifle I sell or replace.

If anything, I want to go lighter/smaller than that. I wish 6.5-06 was a factory round. I know that isn’t for this rifle, just really interesting and maybe better than 25-06 and 270. Anyway, I’m leaning towards a 6.5 PRC if anything, just because of recoil.

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
In regards to recoil - 270 Win vs 6.5 PRC vs 6.8 Western vs 270 WSM vs 7mm Rem Mag? Anyone shot them all? With 140/150/175s?

The more I think about this, I just need a spare short LOP stock for my 270 Classic. Will be fun to mess with a new rifle, though.

IC B3

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Oh, one more thing - is the 270 WSM becoming obsolete? Brass availability?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Brass is definitely challenging to find. Midway just had some in stock. If you’re going to buy it and use it, you might want to grab a few bags if they are still available. Raven rock on here occasionally gets some also.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Would it bore and rechamber to a 7 wsm, I am not sure??. I liked the idea of that better but never really took off.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh, one more thing - is the 270 WSM becoming obsolete? Brass availability?

Slope, that is a good deal, but I remember when the BACO featherweights were $600.00 or $650.00 new.

Man, if you handload your own, I'd buy the rifle and play with it. See how you like it. Later on down the road, if you think you want to change it up, go with a 6.5 PRC, or something like that. When I buy something, it's always with the thought, how much is this going to be worth in a few years. I'll generally buy them when they are half price, or in other words, if a rifle is selling for $1,200.00 on places like gunbroker, and I can buy the same rifle for $600.00, I'm doing well. You'll never lose money that way.

If buying a new rifle, with the thought of rebarreling it right away, or throwing a $1,000.00 stock on it, you will lose money. Especially when you figure in gunsmith fees, on top of the cost of a good barrel these days. When I lived in Oregon, my smith would charge me $40.00 to re-barrel a model 70. He was damn good too, and well known. He's retired now, but I don't think you'd find a smith to do that now, at that price. Plus new barrels are expensive these days.

I was at a LGS, last year, and saw a beautiful BACO, that used to be a featherweight. It had been rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoor. The barrel was fairly heavy, and cut to 22". I asked the shop owner if they would go down to $600.00, since it was not original. They just looked at me like I was out of it. I said, yeah, this is supposed to have a featherweight barrel on it. Someone changed the barrel. It's not worth as much because of that. He said he'd take $650 for it. I almost bought it, but it would have been a gamble. Keeping in mind, that others are going to see it that way as well.

I say, if you like the rifle, and can live with the cartridge, buy it!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldg397
Would it bore and rechamber to a 7 wsm, I am not sure??. I liked the idea of that better but never really took off.

The 270 and 300 wsm seemed to gain the most traction of that group. The 270 wsm components are going to be more readily available than the 7 mm in the future IMO. Nothing wrong with the 270 wsm if you want to kill things. As long as you have dies and brass

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
270 WSM is quite capable, especially with the action length of the M70 being slightly long for that cartridge it gives you tons of room to play with the 150s. At that price, I think I'd buy it and try a couple different loads to see how it shot before making any further decisions.

Last edited by Woodsman1991; 03/12/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The perfect platform for the 6.5 PRC.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Slope,

Fluted or plain barrel?

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Picking it up in about 15 minutes. It is a New Haven of some sort. I’ll report back.

Plain barrel.

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
For the moment, my thought would be to either leave it alone or rechamber to 6.5 PRC or 6.8 Western. I will play with it a bit as-is. Those cartridges are pretty close.

Awhile ago I had picked up and a factory uncheckered/unfinished walnut stock that has some nice figure in tit. We’ll see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.