Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
It was quite a sight to see. So bright and moving so fast across the sky.

I've had an astronomy app on my iPhone for what seems like about six months now, and it would, from time to time, alert me that the ISS was going to be visible in a few minutes, and I'd run outside to take a look. In all this time, though, I've never seen it. Either there was too much cloud cover, or the arc was so low that the tree line obscured it throughout its pass.

It's really an amazing sight. It went right past Jupiter, then proceeded across the sky at a very high arc, and as it approached the horizon, it quickly faded (even before reaching it).

Do they have bright lights on that thing pointed down towards the earth or is it the sun that lights it up like that?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's all from the sun. It disappears before it reaches the horizon because it goes into the earth's shadow. I've seen it disappear like that when it's straight overhead.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's all from the sun. It disappears before it reaches the horizon because it goes into the earth's shadow. I've seen it disappear like that when it's straight overhead.
Thanks for the info.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I saw it without realizing what it was. Then I got notified of a time where it would be visible, ran outside and waited, but nothing.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have seen it many times. When a buddy of mine used to live in Grand Junction which is couple hundred miles west of me, a couple of times we'd be on the phone and watching it at the same time.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Saw it a few times, it’s amazing how fast it’s moving across the sky.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Saw it a few times, it’s amazing how fast it’s moving across the sky.

Yup.

17,000 mph is pretty impressive.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Used to watch it pretty often, very cool.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We like to take our pontoon out on the lake at night and watch for meteor showers. We have often seen the ISS go across the sky. As others have said it is impressive to watch. It's amazing how many satellites that can be seen going across the sky.

3825 24336
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No nightlights that i have heard of.

We have been watching it for years,sometimes it is on time and sometimes a little late.

I also look for the starlink orbs that are easy to be seen before they go dark.

Also look for falling stars.

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
It's quite a task to keep in view without auto tracking as fast as it's cooking along, but you can make out the general shape with pretty much any decent telescope over about 3.5"

The brightness is all related to the sun and overhead angles during the pass, but it can be over -6 at its best, which is brighter than anything in the night sky with the exception of the moon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the Shuttle days, it appeared to be twice the size when the two were docked. Once, I saw them pass over when they were close together but undocked.

For those without a phone app, here's a website where you can track the ISS - or any other satellite you can name...LINK

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Cool

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hawkeye,
What mobil app are you using?
I've seen satellites before but never ISS. It would be pretty cool to see.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by zcm82
It's quite a task to keep in view without auto tracking as fast as it's cooking along, but you can make out the general shape with pretty much any decent telescope over about 3.5"

The brightness is all related to the sun and overhead angles during the pass, but it can be over -6 at its best, which is brighter than anything in the night sky with the exception of the moon.
It was much brighter than Jupiter, which is very bright, as it passed right by it.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JD338
Hawkeye,
What mobil app are you using?
I've seen satellites before but never ISS. It would be pretty cool to see.
Sky Guide.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by zcm82

It was much brighter than Jupiter, which is very bright, as it passed right by it.

Yeah, Jupiter is about -2.2 right now, so pretty much any decent ISS pass will outshine it. The ones farther toward the horizon are dimmer, but basically anytime it is an overhead pass it'll be -3 or better.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fisrt I heard of it was last night……a bit too late for a visual! ☹️ memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/13/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget that there is now also a Chinese station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiangong_space_station

How to see and track the Tiangong Chinese space station
By Robert Lea published 1 December 2023

Although it's more challenging to observe than the International Space Station (ISS), the Chinese space station, officially known as Tiangong, can be seen from Earth's surface.

Tiangong, which means "Heavenly Palace" in Mandarin ,  appears fainter than the ISS because the Chinese space station, along with its solar panel area, is smaller — about 20% the size of the ISS, according to Today in the Sky. However, it is still possible to see Tiangong with the naked eye, you just need to know where and when to look.

https://www.space.com/how-to-see-track-chinese-space-station-tiangong

Cheers! smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It was quite a sight to see. So bright and moving so fast across the sky.

I've had an astronomy app on my iPhone for what seems like about six months now, and it would, from time to time, alert me that the ISS was going to be visible in a few minutes, and I'd run outside to take a look. In all this time, though, I've never seen it. Either there was too much cloud cover, or the arc was so low that the tree line obscured it throughout its pass.

It's really an amazing sight. It went right past Jupiter, then proceeded across the sky at a very high arc, and as it approached the horizon, it quickly faded (even before reaching it).

Do they have bright lights on that thing pointed down towards the earth or is it the sun that lights it up like that?
It had 6500K LED floodlights so it easy to spot.
🤦‍♂️

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.