Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
Do you think soft people are just that way and can never change or are they that way only because the circumstances allow them to be like that? Take it away and they'd toughen up?...
People tend to find resolve and a will to survive when there's no other choice. Just curious as to what the rest think.
Never been in a real do or actually die situation involving lots of people but have seen enough situations to know that you never know.

In Basic Training we had a Puerto Rican guy who was Senor Tough. Always challenging people, ready to fight at the drop of a hat. We went through the tear gas chamber and he came out crying and screaming like a baby. He was choking! He was dying! Pretty pathetic to look at.

Have seen strong, confident people endure lots of physical hardship and bad situations without complaint with some of the quiet "meeK" guys right alongside them, keepin' on keepin' on.

Not a new revelation but you can't know who will survive and who will give up until the S actually HTF.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Do you think soft people are just that way and can never change or are they that way only because the circumstances allow them to be like that? Take it away and they'd toughen up?

Recent events in Hati and other places in the world/world history got me to thinking.

SHTF happens (whatever that looks like for you) - it's likely a lot of elderly will pass. No more access to meds, O2 services and the like.

But what about the 27 year old theater major who got "triggered" because you didn't use xin/xer pronouns that made your coffee this am? They can "afford" to be soft in the traditional sense because the world allows it. When the world no longer provides the ability to be soft and survive - does that barista just die or do you think they actually harden up and survive?

People tend to find resolve and a will to survive when there's no other choice. Just curious as to what the rest think.

I was just talking with someone about today’s youth and their inability to cope with a little adversity. My wife didn’t have indoor plumbing until she was in the 9th. grade. A wood frame home, with little to no insulation, a coal fired heater in the middle of the house. I suspect that it was a bit cold during the Wyoming winters. She’s spoiled now…….but probably still a little bit tougher than most! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What age did that happen for you Dwayne?

Becoming spiritually and mentally ready to die?

My folks have been that way for a long time...both now just about 80 years old.

Scares me to death...the thought of my folks' and my own mortality.

Is there a difference between being ready and giving up?

I have hauled a lot of old people to the ER who said similar things about being ready to die....but they sure as hell weren't ready while in the back of that ambulance!
Mom always said she was ready to go. Why live longer. This was usually speaking to the DR at the office. I almost always told her she was incorrect as if that was the case we would not be at the DR.

Not Dwayne obviously. And seems like a despised Karen non boomer around this idiotic place anymore. Regardless an answer.

Ready to die vs ready to die are two different things.

I suppose wife and I could say that about age 45 or so we realized we knew what was in the end for us IE we are Christian. And while we were not ready to die, we were ready to die. Prepared I suppose.

We are not wanting to die yet. That may well happen and it sure seems common to folks the last year of their lives give or take. It sure seems its hard for lots of folks to die. As with you and the ambulance I have seen a lot. If they were in the box they might have been ready to die but not wanting to if that makes sense.

It often is weird explaining to folks, after seeing much death, that its SO much easier on the person that dies instantly or quickly of an MI or a MV incident. SO much easier. But hard on the family. OTHO the lingering death like cancer and the like is rough on both parties but the family is often well past and over it for the most part before the person does die.

Most folks are way tougher than they think they are. But as noted you have to dig. Thats the question and I think its a similar one to will you shoot someone if the need arises. I have always thought that for every single person, you will not know the answer until that time comes if it does.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The soft people will die, along with a lot of hard people.

Boomers seem to gleefully look forward to the end of humanity, because obviously the world couldn't exist without them (the most selfish generation in American history). Societal collapse won't be cool or sexy. It's going to be horrific and tribal.

Your Confused ..

I agree the Eggs Hatched in the District of Corruption are the Worst Generation in Know History next to the Roman Malcontents.

Many Modern Advancement in the Human Experience are directly because of the Boomers but it’s all about to be distorted and Destroyed by the Political Class Boomers

Some Rope Applied at the Right Time would have saved the Republic but now it’s looking like Darwin will fix the Mess..

Yours Truly

Madd MaXX

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Do you think soft people are just that way and can never change or are they that way only because the circumstances allow them to be like that? Take it away and they'd toughen up?

Recent events in Hati and other places in the world/world history got me to thinking.

SHTF happens (whatever that looks like for you) - it's likely a lot of elderly will pass. No more access to meds, O2 services and the like.

But what about the 27 year old theater major who got "triggered" because you didn't use xin/xer pronouns that made your coffee this am? They can "afford" to be soft in the traditional sense because the world allows it. When the world no longer provides the ability to be soft and survive - does that barista just die or do you think they actually harden up and survive?

95% of people are in the same boat as far as being "dependent" and "soft". People think they are "hard" and have skills, but they are delusional and are much more dependent on the system than they realize.

Most people will quickly adapt. Those who don't have a will to live, won't. Those who grew up in a fight or flight situation in urban areas or in poverty will be at a big advantage.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Societal collapse won't be cool or sexy. It's going to be horrific and tribal.

This.
It ain’t gonna be for sissies.

I really don’t want to see it.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PJ65
As soon as the physch meds dry up 3/4s of the population will not be able to function. They will weed themselves out.
This. I was blown away on how many users of that chit are out there. A huge, huge number of our citizens feel the need to take that garbage because life is too tough. Bunch of soft bastards

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
]
The soft people will die, along with a lot of hard people.

Boomers seem to gleefully look forward to the end of humanity, because obviously the world couldn't exist without them (the most selfish generation in American history). Societal collapse won't be cool or sexy. It's going to be horrific and tribal.

Totally disagree. Most boomers, including myself are concerned and worried about their children and grand children, what kind of world will they live in. And if you choose to believe they don't think that, you are a foking idiot.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunchamp
As soon as the physch meds dry up 3/4s of the population will not be able to function. They will weed themselves out.
This. I was blown away on how many users of that chit are out there. A huge, huge number of our citizens feel the need to take that garbage because life is too tough. Bunch of soft bastards

There's a huge group of people that take all kinds of meds and then complain about the price. Taking a 2x daily med to hold off a migraine or knee pain or some other ailment they get 1-2 times a year. So they spend 9k to not have a headache 4 days out of 365. (warning, may cause cancer of the perineum)

I suspect - many on the psych and other meds they feel they need to live on, suddenly they don't actually need them.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just hope I can gauge when this collapse will hit so I can have enough toilet paper hoarded.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm not so sure the youngsters are quite as wimpy as some on here seem to believe. When just about everything in a modern society seems like it is rigged against you, is it really that cowardly to not participate?

Can "Screw you, I'm not playing your game, the deck is stacked" ever be a sign of strength?

Personally I think younger generations are probably no different than older generations, some are strong and some are not. What has changed fpr many are the circumstances. A medieval peasant would probably look at every single one of us and declare us all a bunch of worthless gashes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Far too many people have about zero idea about the real world & how to be anything but soft; they have been raised as & are liberals through & through.

If hard times really come, many will be lost for good as I doubt they they can change or adapt.

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Lotta people here use alcohol as their crutch instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

There's a huge group of people that take all kinds of meds and then complain about the price. Taking a 2x daily med to hold off a migraine or knee pain or some other ailment they get 1-2 times a year. So they spend 9k to not have a headache 4 days out of 365. (warning, may cause cancer of the perineum)

I suspect - many on the psych and other meds they feel they need to live on, suddenly they don't actually need them.
For sure. I cant stand meds. Hell, I barely have ever even taken tylenol for aches and pains. Everything has a trade off and so many meds these days will screw some other part of you up when using them

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Lotta people here use alcohol as their crutch instead.
True

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Far too many people have about zero idea about the real world & how to be anything but soft; they have been raised as & are liberals through & through.

If hard times really come, many will be lost for good as I doubt they they can change or adapt.

MM

Do you?

What is this "real world" you speak of?

We are all so gleefully ignorant of anything even resembling tough times...it almost laughable.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
All moot as the older I get the softer I get.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dying during an apocalyptic situation does not scare me at all. Living through one does.
But I will be 60 in August.
I've left my mark in this life. Some would say good, some would say bad.

Every day the maker gives me now is lagniappe to try and right whatever wrongs I have done.

Women will last longer than most men. They have something we want and most "cave" men cannot do without. And in this day in time, they are smarter than ego maniacs.

Soft physically does not mean soft mentally.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
jakseon handy: YOU have won the stupidest post of the year so far!
Does your mind allow for reality to enter into it at all?
Sheesh what an ignorantfuck you are!
And a sad one.
My advice to you - get back in touch with reality and stow your ignorant perceptions up your ass where your head is now.
Double sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Most of the reason our soldiers were so tough and were able to do so much with so little in ww2 was because they grew up in the depression.

Things are going to have to get much worse here before they get better. Some people will adapt and come out OK and some will not. Most of us have had it way better than most people have at anytime throughout history. Even the most poor among Americans still eat pretty well. Think about the fact that poor Americans have an obesity epidemic going on.

Bb

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,043
Posts18,482,094
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.