Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Little story of what I found last summer.

I posted this on another site a while back and I'm still pondering this. Wanted to see if any of you ran across this as well with other loads.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

H-1000 book max for 7mag 162 ELD-M in my Hornady manual is 68.5, while Hodgdon website states 70 for the 162's. Gun is my older Browning Abolt II medallion 7mm Rem Mag 24" barrel 9.5 twist with BOSS system. Bullets were seated to 2.710" CBTO or 3.415" CAOL. My Browning mag is modified and can actually seat to a maximum of 3.700" and still cycle fine. Initial loads of H-1000 were 66.5, 67, 67.5, 68 and 68.5 to test this. No pressure was found. Went back home, loaded up 69, 69.5, 70, 70.5 and 71 to the same specs. All of this testing was done last summer at 95* in South Louisiana. Figured I would have seen something in those temps, but nothing. Brass looked perfectly fine, bolt cycled like butter, no hang ups, nothing. Being I was already over both book and powder website charges, I stopped. I didn't have my chrono with me for any velocity readings, but I was there to strictly look for any pressure issues.

The reason I'm looking back into this is because I might have an opportunity on an elk hunt later this year and I want to start getting my load set and practicing at distance for the just in case, the hunt goes through. So, I loaded up some. 71g H-1000, CCI-250, 162 eldm, 2.710" CBTO, 3.415" COAL. Because I have the BOSS system on this 30+ year old Browning Abolt II, I decided to play with it just a little bit. I was too damn hot to sit out there all day so i shot 3 shot groups. All 3 shot groups were shot as directed by the old BOSS tuning chart. Setting 2.0 shot .311 MOA and setting 1 shot .698 MOA.

My buddy has the newer Garmin that I want to use to get some velocity readings. I didn't want to use my Magnetospeed Sporter while shooting groups because it affects POI slightly. Plus it was hot as hell that day. I'm I sure the velocities were getting it pretty good being I'm just over both book and powder max. But again, No pressure signs of any kind. It was at this point, I so no reason to push the limit any further to check pressure. I'm 2.5 grains over book and 1 grain over Hodgdon.

Has anyone run into an issue like this before?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've found Hornady's max to be a bit light most of the time.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I havent used or trusted Hornady data since 93. Damn near blew up a rifle with their 25.06 data. Total BS.

Swifty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I havent used or trusted Hornady data since 93. Damn near blew up a rifle with their 25.06 data. Total BS.

A friend ran into issues with Hornady data on his 6 arc. Their bolt gun data and Hodgdon data were off weighed heavier to the Hornady. He dropped back to Hodgdon data and things went smooth.

I refer to Hodgdon data or Sierra for the most part.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm glad others have this issue also. I usually go to powder charts and limits, but I haven't messed with my 7mag in a long time and at 2.5g over book. I'm not gonna lie, was nervous shooting it. But after looking the brass over, primer pocket and such, I shot those groups.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDupontJr

I posted this on another site a while back and I'm still pondering this. Wanted to see if any of you ran across this as well with other loads.

H-1000 book max for 7mag 162 ELD-M in my Hornady manual is 68.5, while Hodgdon website states 70 for the 162's. Gun is my older Browning Abolt II medallion 7mm Rem Mag 24" barrel 9.5 twist with BOSS system. Bullets were seated to 2.710" CBTO or 3.415" CAOL. My Browning mag is modified and can actually seat to a maximum of 3.700" and still cycle fine. Initial loads of H-1000 were 66.5, 67, 67.5, 68 and 68.5 to test this. No pressure was found. Went back home, loaded up 69, 69.5, 70, 70.5 and 71 to the same specs. All of this testing was done last summer at 95* in South Louisiana. Figured I would have seen something in those temps, but nothing. Brass looked perfectly fine, bolt cycled like butter, no hang ups, nothing. Being I was already over both book and powder website charges, I stopped. I didn't have my chrono with me for any velocity readings, but I was there to strictly look for any pressure issues.

The reason I'm looking back into this is because I might have an opportunity on an elk hunt later this year and I want to start getting my load set and practicing at distance for the just in case, the hunt goes through. So, I loaded up some. 71g H-1000, CCI-250, 162 eldm, 2.710" CBTO, 3.415" COAL. Because I have the BOSS system on this 30+ year old Browning Abolt II, I decided to play with it just a little bit. I was too damn hot to sit out there all day so i shot 3 shot groups. All 3 shot groups were shot as directed by the old BOSS tuning chart. Setting 2.0 shot .311 MOA and setting 1 shot .698 MOA.

My buddy has the newer Garmin that I want to use to get some velocity readings. I didn't want to use my Magnetospeed Sporter while shooting groups because it affects POI slightly. Plus it was hot as hell that day. I'm I sure the velocities were getting it pretty good being I'm just over both book and powder max. But again, No pressure signs of any kind. It was at this point, I so no reason to push the limit any further to check pressure. I'm 2.5 grains over book and 1 grain over Hodgdon.

I suggest using the book most times, but since the Hodgdon data lists the bullet you are running, it would be fine as well. One thing you need to understand about your rifle is you can load up closer to max with the 24" barrel listing (from Hodgdon). Hornady probably uses a 26" test barrel.

The BOSS is going to allow you to tune the accuracy yourself, so you don't have to worry as much about working up the load for OCW and accuracy, you just have to work up a load for safe operation. Then tune with the BOSS. I'd shoot for 2,900 fps and then mess with the BOSS system. Otherwise you are just chasing your tail with different charge weights and settings on the BOSS. Wth don't you guys try to make this schidt simple on yourselves?????

You are also doing a lot of guessing, if you are not running your 7mm rem mag loads over a chronograph. That cartridge can be finicky. Run your bullets .020" off the lands, shoot for 2,900 fps, tune with the BOSS for best accuracy, and then call it a day..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
All load data is a guide.

On That Day, with That Lot of powder and bullets, with That Brass, in Their Rifle, that data is max.

Your rifle has slightly different dimensions, tighter or looser, using a different lot number of powder, bullet and brass, so it will have different max loads.

If Rifle "A" has a tighter chamber than Rifle "B", you should get higher pressures and velocity with Rifle "A", all other things being equal.

One of my buddies has a factory stock Sako and a Hart custom, both in 300Win.

In the Sako, using a 180gr Ballistic Tip, we topped out at 2,950fps when we had high pressure signs.

In the Hart, the exact same components/load, shot at 3,200fps, but with no pressure signs at all.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, a guide only...Nothing talks back to you more than YOUR rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SDupontJr

I suggest using the book most times, but since the Hodgdon data lists the bullet you are running, it would be fine as well. One thing you need to understand about your rifle is you can load up closer to max with the 24" barrel listing (from Hodgdon). Hornady probably uses a 26" test barrel.

The BOSS is going to allow you to tune the accuracy yourself, so you don't have to worry as much about working up the load for OCW and accuracy, you just have to work up a load for safe operation. Then tune with the BOSS. I'd shoot for 2,900 fps and then mess with the BOSS system. Otherwise you are just chasing your tail with different charge weights and settings on the BOSS. Wth don't you guys try to make this schidt simple on yourselves?????

You are also doing a lot of guessing, if you are not running your 7mm rem mag loads over a chronograph. That cartridge can be finicky. Run your bullets .020" off the lands, shoot for 2,900 fps, tune with the BOSS for best accuracy, and then call it a day..

That's basically where I'm at. .020" off, seated at 3.415" coal, no mag restrictions. Bullet is almost where the boattail is at the neck / shoulder junction. BOSS setting at 2.0 and shot a 3 shot group of .311 moa. It's dialed in the the 162 eld match.

My plan last summer was to find velocity first without pressure, then I could play with the BOSS to tune. Didn't find pressure, bit stopped. Started tuning and didn't take long to get sub 1/2 moa.

Last edited by SDupontJr; 03/13/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess on those loads posted is they were full case capacity or close to compressed loads with H1000.Look at the CUP 49,600 pressure at 70.0grs.At psi pressures,it's probably 56-58,000 psi,which is a mild load.If you look at Noslers load data for a 168gr bullet,it shows 70grs of H1000 at 2993fps with load density volume at 99%.
https://www.nosler.com/7mm-remington-magnum

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a 7mm Rem mag until I bought a chronograph. I was never able to get anywhere near book speeds even with max loads. From what I've read that is pretty common. I sold it and went back to using my 30-06.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Always follow what your rifle is telling you, but I've found Hodgdon data to be highly reliable in relation to charge weights and speeds.

I've different times came up with a load, figured out ahead of time what the velocity should be according to Hodgdon by subtracting the starting velocity from the max velocity and dividing it by the difference in grains for listed start/max to give me the fps per grain for that powder in that cartridge, deduct 25-30 fps per inch of barrel if shorter, and when I chrono'd it, it was right there.

Nosler data of speed for charge weight, is often highly optimistic for my rifles. YMMV.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not saying H1000 won't work with a 162gr bullet in the 7mag,it just runs out of case space to give you the velocity a faster powder will give you.If you look at this data,69.5grs of H1000 with a 180gr bullet is only 60,000psi.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will often check and check using different load data. Sometimes the maximum loads seem light compared to other sources, sometimes quite heavy - especially in early loading manuals.

I found one manual that had 35 Remington and 358 Winchester data flipped.

In the present Nosler manual the 300 Weatherby maximum load is basically the same velocity as the maximum 300 Winchester. The Weatherby has 6% more capacity, what’s up with that??? hmmm.

Evidently there were some manufacturer’s 7mm RM’s that had early/erratic high pressures, that is higher pressures at lower powder charges than other manufacturer’s 7mm RM. i have a 700 BDL 7mm RM that was manufactured in the early 60’s and I never had issues with what I read some others have.

When I was testing rifles loads for Remington, we not only tested Remington’s rifles but other manufacturers as well. We found some strange stuff with some other’s rifles and shotguns. We tested with all common manufacturer’s ammo. Brand new ammo with brand new rifles and shotguns. Sometimes things would show up such as split cases..

I’ve also worked in other manufacturing industry from farm machinery to computer chips etc. one would think that all are or should be the same, But often not.

I once asked a machinist what kind of tolerances could he/his equipment hold. He looked at me like I just slept with his wife. TOLERANCES! Tolerances! I don’t put no stinking tolerances in anything I make.

I’m thinking that perhaps some companies are using older more worn equipment, slightly different dimensions for chambers, throats etc. While others have tight tolerances tight chambers and maybe tighter/smaller bore.

Sometimes during testing the lab might have a hotter lot of powder than a different lab.

Then there’s things like a loader might think using his 180 grain Hot Core should load the same as the Game King.

I know that Remington and Winchester had different lead into the rifling, that is different angle or at least they did in the 60’s. Winchester’s was more gentle and Remington’s more abrupt.

What I get from those experiences is that things are not as one would expect.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/13/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pick what is the most accurate, instead of searching and basing your decision on velocity.

On several 300 Win Mags I have, the most accurate load was using H 1000, a 220 grain RN and 5 grains over the max load listed in the manual. It was same as a 300 Weatherby load data with that bullet, and achieved the same velocity.

However it never showed pressure signs and cases with 10 shots with this load, still had tight primer pockets for the 11th reload on the brass.

Load manuals are a recommendation, NOT a Bible. Your rifle and barrel will tell you what IT LIKES if you listen to it.

That's my philosophy, based on a lot of experience at the reload bench.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You are also doing a lot of guessing, if you are not running your 7mm rem mag loads over a chronograph.
This. Work up to max speed according to pressure-tested data or until traditional pressure signs appear, whichever comes first.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Without a chrono a guy really has no idea if he is over pressure. Published powder charges are truly an approximate (rough) guide. Most of the time our rifles will not produce the velocities that a SAMMI spec pressure barrel does.

I have seen some significant differences in max powder charges between current manuals.

Although I use the Hodgdon’s manual a lot they neglect to publish what brand of brass they’re using. There can be a significant difference in case capacity.

Having owned chronos for 40 years I’ve seen lots of disappointing velocities from 7RM’s.

Chronograph your loads and get back with us…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JMR40
I had a 7mm Rem mag until I bought a chronograph. I was never able to get anywhere near book speeds even with max loads. From what I've read that is pretty common. I sold it and went back to using my 30-06.

Smart man. Was going to suggest same.
I like the 7mm Rem and have a couple I load for, but they make full ballistics or the barrels and chambering changes.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 30 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.