Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dutch
Some will, some wont.

I agree. I have seen it happen in combat in Iraq and Afg. Some of the most timid, soft people I've ever met fought fiercely and helped maintain their ground. While others cowered in the vehicles or behind the nearest structure.

Medics bury their mistakes..
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Hard to say how people will react when the shtf. They go feral after about 72 hours with no food. Just surviving that melee would take a bit of luck even if you are prepared. Food, water, shelter, and don’t forget about the ability and willingness to defend such. I don’t think anyone can be truly ready for an apocalyptic situation with armed and hungry people closing in.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
Natural selection.

As Viking poster wrote," Natural Selection," or "Survival of the Fittest." Darwin defined it by observing Life and Consequences for millions of years. Still valid today, and will be valid for millions more years.

Human Nature will come to the fore, just as it ALWAYS has. Human Nature has never changed from the time that Human Beans lived roughly and precariously in caves until this moment. The only thing that has changed is Technology.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This. Fyg gh ker ain't soft.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
I just hope I can gauge when this collapse will hit so I can have enough toilet paper hoarded.
Dude,

you should be prepared already for that eventuality.

Tuff Shed sells a nice 8x10 that would store enough TP to carry you through until there was no longer a need for it.

That is, until the soft rich were all dead and you could move into their place with the bidet. And use their nice soft Egyptian cotton towels to dry your ass.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Dinny
Some will, some wont.

I agree. I have seen it happen in combat in Iraq and Afg. Some of the most timid, soft people I've ever met fought fiercely and helped maintain their ground. While others cowered in the vehicles or behind the nearest structure.

This 100%

"Everybody has a plan till they get hit" -Mike Tyson

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What situations we face dictate how we stand up to what it is. I remember my Grandparents and others talk about dealing with every day life during the depression and they endured a lot. As my great grandma told me "we didn't know there was a depression until someone told us about it". She lived to be 101 and I always knew she was tough.

We had a bad storm in 2019 that left us without power for several days. Trees down everywhere. My first thought was our neighbors. Especially the older folks. I started checking on them right away and making sure they were safe. Cut more trees and moved them that day than any time of my life, getting driveways cleared and things like that. Helped out in our small town too. Within a few days we were mostly back to normal, without any government help at all. Teamwork got the job done. I think that will come in handy. I live every day to be helpful too.

The hard part will be if we are in the midst of a civil war or something like that. Normal life will be no more if that's the case. Surviving won't be a trip to the store. It's hard to know what dangers will be present. Big cities will be a very bad place to be, I won't be there. I guess sooner or later trouble will come to rural areas. In my mind I want to be able to do everything I can to protect my family and friends.

I heard a speech of Ronald Reagan's, here it is if you want to listen.

In that he mentioned a man named Martin Treptow who served in WWI. He was killed in combat and on his body was this pledge.

“America must win this war. Therefore I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone.”

May God help me to do the same.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Far too many people have about zero idea about the real world & how to be anything but soft; they have been raised as & are liberals through & through.

If hard times really come, many will be lost for good as I doubt they they can change or adapt.

MM

Do you?

What is this "real world" you speak of?

We are all so gleefully ignorant of anything even resembling tough times...it almost laughable.

Well, it kinda looks that way when reading some of the posts here about "I don't even hardly get out of bed before I put my boots on". Could they even walk across their paved driveway 20' without 8" boots supporting their ankles? What happens when there are no more Red Wing stores? What happens when they're out foraging and someone gets into their stash of 13 pairs in their closet and they get home and no more boots? SOL when the pair they're wearing is worn out?

As to the kids of today and how they'll fare? I think some of the ones around here will be OK. Lot of farm and ranch kids and from the looks of it some of their peers are wannabes and hang with them. Was at our local shooting range meeting last night, seems some weekends the youth shooting program here as close to 100 using the three different ranges, according to one of the 4H ladies. Kids from 60 or so miles away in Lakeview are even wanting to use our shotgun facilities until they can get theirs set up again. That's not bad attendance for a county of 10,000 +/- souls. Kids actually works around here at times even.

Me, I'm not going down without a fight. Hell, I even force my way out of 1/2 submerged vehicles and clamber down the 40F stream over rocks and boulders, up the rip-rap and through the berry vines barefoot, in a t shirt and shorts. I've lived through worse, at least someone wasn't trying to pummel me like in a bar fight I wasn't sure I was gonna get out of.

Maybe we need more Outward Bound programs for our softies???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Softer than I was, maybe. I still understand and recognize what needs to be done in most situations to make things better. I start the day with a prayer that I can make something better this day for someone.

Cold?

Thirsty?

Hungry?

Wet?

Threatened?

There is a way to make all of these situations, and others, better. For now I still have the drive to do so, for myself and others
Teaching others to see things this way is a calling

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Far too many people have about zero idea about the real world & how to be anything but soft; they have been raised as & are liberals through & through.

If hard times really come, many will be lost for good as I doubt they they can change or adapt.

MM

Do you?

What is this "real world" you speak of?

We are all so gleefully ignorant of anything even resembling tough times...it almost laughable.

Well, it kinda looks that way when reading some of the posts here about "I don't even hardly get out of bed before I put my boots on". Could they even walk across their paved driveway 20' without 8" boots supporting their ankles? What happens when there are no more Red Wing stores? What happens when they're out foraging and someone gets into their stash of 13 pairs in their closet and they get home and no more boots? SOL when the pair they're wearing is worn out?

As to the kids of today and how they'll fare? I think some of the ones around here will be OK. Lot of farm and ranch kids and from the looks of it some of their peers are wannabes and hang with them. Was at our local shooting range meeting last night, seems some weekends the youth shooting program here as close to 100 using the three different ranges, according to one of the 4H ladies. Kids from 60 or so miles away in Lakeview are even wanting to use our shotgun facilities until they can get theirs set up again. That's not bad attendance for a county of 10,000 +/- souls. Kids actually works around here at times even.

Me, I'm not going down without a fight. Hell, I even force my way out of 1/2 submerged vehicles and clamber down the 40F stream over rocks and boulders, up the rip-rap and through the berry vines barefoot, in a t shirt and shorts. I've lived through worse, at least someone wasn't trying to pummel me like in a bar fight I wasn't sure I was gonna get out of.

Maybe we need more Outward Bound programs for our softies???

A bunch of dudes on the fire have said they couldn't live with twice daily showers and starched sheets!

Hahaha!

I like watching those videos of India and Pakistan where they make stuff or repair things.

Really primitive stuff!

It would seem to me that being dropped into Pakistan would be the same as a SHTF for a lot of people.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Most of the hard people here can't run across their front yard without a five minute break at the end.

- Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Most of the hard people here can't run across their front yard without a five minute break at the end.

- Jake

I would think that the size of the front yard is relative in this scenario! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We lose power up here several times a year. Sometimes for hours, sometimes for days. It was out for a week just last April. It ain't killed us yet, heck it's just a minor inconvenience. I've lost my home and most of my belongings to flood. I lived in my buds hunting camp from April - November. No running water, no electric. Cooked over an open fire every meal, bathed in the creek, shyt in the woods. Been used to hard work since I was a kid. Expected to cut, split and stack our winters supply of firewood starting when I was 12. Wood was our only source of heat through those long, cold winters back then.. Dad wouldn't let us use a chainsaw yet so it was all cut and split by hand. Was never handed much in the way of luxuries or toys. No first guns for Christmas, no dirt bilkes, go carts, four wheelers or snowmobiles and no first cars or car insurance when we were kids. If we wanted luxuries like that, we had to earn the money and buy it ourselves and we did, running trap lines, shoveling snow, mowing lawns, shoveling shyt and pitching hay. I'd guess I probably know about as much about hard times, making do and doing without as most folks alive today. Certainly more than the vast majority from the younger generations. My kids and grand kids have had it easier for sure. Young folks sure like to piss and moan about how hard they've had it and how easy it was for us boomers though. I guess we'll see how hard or soft they are, if and when TEOTWAWKI ever comes to pass.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dinny
Some will, srted flyig.ome wont.

That's exactly what my son told me. He was XO of a National Guard battalion in Iraq that saw more action than many regular Army units. Said it was very hard to predict, but he had little respect for troops that were "operators" etc." in civilian life, saw some fall apart when the metal started flying. Could just as likely be the scared skinny kid who comes through when the SHTF.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Real change requires self discipline, and most people outside military vets don’t have it. Even we veterans get lazy and lose it if we got a cushy gig.
I can and have washed and shaved in cold water, and I can and have fixed something to eat on a campfire because I get hungry enough.
But I’m an old man now, so other than hunting, I avoid being a tough guy if I can. I carry a pistol because I can’t hit someone hard enough to stop a fight anymore.
If it happens to me, I think I can adapt. I worry about my loved ones who are gonna e completely screwed. And I pray it doesn’t happen.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well, the good news is that if millions of drug addicts can live on the streets, so can you.

I see zero difference between democrats and republican's on who will or won't survive. A lot of those hippy, 20 something liberal vegetarian chicks have some good skills, knowedge, and can function on 1000 calories a day. They also are great backpackers.

Trick will be to get away from people to avoid germs and idiots who will kill you for what you have. That's where it gets problematic for most folks. Could you grab your hunting/backpacking gear and disappear for 6 months?

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The soft people will die, along with a lot of hard people.

Boomers seem to gleefully look forward to the end of humanity, because obviously the world couldn't exist without them (the most selfish generation in American history). Societal collapse won't be cool or sexy. It's going to be horrific and tribal.

What utter bullshit! Sure we boomers enjoyed the pinnacle of being an American after WWII left the rest of the civilized world in ruin. Our parents also benefited greatly in the prime of their lives after growing up poor, like everybody else, eating organic food grown locally, as that was all there was and doctors were for emergency only. Working hard and being frugal was the only way to make ends meet. There were no "benefits" at all. Major Medical was for the very few corporate types, but nobody went bankrupt from hospitalization like today. The busy body Nanny State hadn't morphed into the neurotic goddess of uber control over every aspect of normal life, and taxed the hell out of what it couldn't regulate with fees and inspections. FDR's commie agencies spawned ever more irritating lice in Alphabet fiefdoms with too much power. And Eisenhower's Interstate System assured total consolidation of trade in the hands of super capitalists that could now "serve" Podunk to Weehaken with big ass trucks that hadn't yet been invented, turning America into ghost towns between giant LogoLand look alike hives of banal inanity. Yeah, so we were super damn selfish working summers and holidays or after classes to pay for college because that was supposed to get you better jobs and improve your life. It did too. We didn't owe a dime when we got out, sold our books back for half price if we wanted and saved money from then on, still based on gold until '71, that held its value well enough to make major purchases like a car or home. Then LBJ tried to kill us all in Vietnam to repay his buddies for smoking JFK. We were selfish [bleep] alright. You dumb fugd punks are too young and angry with your marshmallow education and [bleep] culture to realize the loss of great cities, vibrant small towns, flourishing farms - a whole world full of clean cut, neatly dressed, respectful people humbly proud of their ability and opportunity to live better than anyone in history. You whinny little pricks missed out on the best of everything. No wonder you're so jealous.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Wowzer Crashpad, you really laid it ou there pretty damn accurate. Ma said she didn't have a telephone or a bathroom or a kitchen with running water or a washing machine or a refrigerator. Ya we all really got it rough today ha.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I live without hot water or A/C. In Africa I drank unboiled, untreated muddy water straight from a stream. Ate a monotonous diet, lost a lot of weight.

Those hardships anyone could do. In a SHTF scenario all the above would be easy.

The hard part would be other desperate people and days without food, neither of which I’ve ever had to deal with.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I live without hot water or A/C. In Africa I drank unboiled, untreated muddy water straight from a stream. Ate a monotonous diet, lost a lot of weight.

Those hardships anyone could do. In a SHTF scenario all the above would be easy.

The hard part would be other desperate people and days without food, neither of which I’ve ever had to deal with.

Well yeah...the shits will do that to you.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,828
Posts18,477,926
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.