Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I live on a rice/corn/soybean farm where cottonmouth water moccasins, canebrake rattlers, and copperheads are common. I’ve had dogs since I retired here in 1996. Every one of my dogs has been bitten by at least one poisonous snake. My wife was bitten by a copperhead in 2022 while fooling around in one of her flower beds. I got her to the er in less than 45 minutes and they gave her something for pain, something for infection, and I believe some steroids. After watching her hand swell for a few hours they sent her home. Her arm stopped swelling but the swelling in only her hand and skin turning purple continued for a couple days. Eventually everything returned to normal after 6 weeks. I used to wear snake boots but switched to gaiters that come to the knee. I see mostly cottonmouths and copperheads. Have already killed 6 or 7 in the last weeks as temperatures rise. I see lots of poisonous snakes when spring squirrel hunting, thus the boots/gaiters. I don’t go out in the yard at night without a flashlight. Lots of snakes in my area and hearing of another farmer getting bit is a common occurrence. I know folks who have been bitten on the foot, ankle, leg, and hand. Ugly stuff! Snake protection is smart imo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've lived in snake country my whole life.

Never had a pair of snake boots, gaiters, or anything like that.

Watch where you step, look for them in areas you think they may be, and kill 'em all around the house, barn, etc.

Never saw a snake I couldn't outrun if I don't have a handgun on me. grin

I do have to wonder, especially after all these post by the guys down South and Out West, how the Injuns did without them darn snake boots and gaiters?

I mean, a brain tanned deerskin moc isn't going to stop the fangs of most larger snakes.

Maybe they were smart and stayed in their lodges and teepees all day and night. Sent the wimmin and chillins out foraging, after all, they're expendable.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I spend quite a lot of time in the woods, brush etc in Texas, likewise looking up.

I’ve encountered a number of rattlesnakes and benefitted from their early warning system. Also one or two cottonmouths and copperheads over the decades.

I don’t worry about snakes near as much as I should.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We get these boys frequently. They coil up and shake their tails.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They can get pretty big. They put a hurting on the mice.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.