Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Mauser 98 mainly because I liked the looks of it. I took it to the range yesterday and shot a few groups.
The groups mainly hit into two areas 7 O'clock at the 5 ring and 4 O'clock at the 5 ring It did matter which load, they both hit in these two areas. Granted the front sight reflected the sun pretty well, probably too well. You can see the sights in the pictures. The barrel looks almost like new inside. The set trigger is somewhat of a problem. Set the heaviest I could the trigger when set is less than an ounce judged by several competitive shooters. Also, after shooting a while the rifle fired after pulling the rear trigger. The barrel had been free floated.

Here's some pictures of the rifle:
first the only marking on the barrel action
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

next a couple pictures of the bedding

next a couple pictures of the trigger:

next a couple pictures of the bolt

More pictures next

Last edited by Bugger; 03/13/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
general pictures:

one more picture in next reply

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That is really nice Bug. I like the looks of it,too. I wish I could see those open sights these days.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It is a nice-looking rifle.

No doubt you know, but shiny sights can be the cause of dispersion of shots on the target, usually as a result of the direction and/or brightness of the light changing, which with a shiny sight makes you perceive it to be in a different position. Commonly referred to as "shooting away from the light". I'd try blacking them, either with the smoke from a candle flame or match (candle flame works better) for a temporary solution, or blackboard paint or other good matte black paint for something more lasting.

Before doing that though, I'd want to sort out the trigger. I quite like double set triggers, but you can't have it fire on cocking using the rear trigger. You could perhaps give it a really good blast with carby/brake cleaner, and see if that sorts it. You've already tried increasing the set pull, which is the other thing I'd have suggested. Otherwise it might need a gunsmith who knows these triggers - my bloke's good, but he's too far away for you.

Other than that, the split groups may be a result of a bedding issue. You could try a shim (such as the plastic tag from a bread bag) under the front of the action to get the barrel clear of the forend, to see if that helps. I'd also have a close look at the muzzle, and also try pushing a tight patch through to see if the muzzle end might be a bit loose.

I'd also be wary of the schnabel or front swivel dragging on the rest. I assume you aren't shooting with a sling?

HTH

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Trigger group needs a good cleaning for sure.

It does look good.

What brand/type ammo did you shoot?

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dan-oz

I agree with everything you’ve written. I will try soaking or whatever to get the trigger right. If not right, off to the smith. I swear a good woman could blow on that trigger after it was set to set it off.

I included pictures of the bedding, because I suspected that might be an issue. Whoever did the bedding used a pillar on the rear screw, i think the bedding around the recoil lug is not right. Looks like an older bedding job at any rate. I’m planning on rebedding the action and ensuring the barrel doesn’t touch the fire-end even when squeezed together by hand.

First look at the sights and I liked them. The sight is in good shape and the second sight is firmly in place when flipped up. Upon using the sights, it was tough getting a great sight picture, I won’t lie. The notch is small. I’m tempted to open up the notch in the rear sight. The front sight has a brass bead. The front bead looks bigger than the notch. I’ll blacken the front bead next time out.

I don’t like shooting with a sling unless I’m shooting as the military taught. The fore-arm is quite light and a tight sling would not be good, IMHO. The only rifle I use a tight sling on is the M1.

I ran some patches through the bore it seems ‘smooth’ even pressure while pushing a tight patch. The bore looked pristine to me. I think the crown is in good shape.

The front bench rest bag is closer to the receiver than the schnabel.

Thanks for your comments. I really want this to be a shooter.

Bugger

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Trigger group needs a good cleaning for sure.

It does look good.

What brand/type ammo did you shoot?

I tried a couple hand loads - Ken Waters favorites. I’d have to check.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
nice looking rifle!!!!

you should get an old aperture sight. i put this one on my 1944 '98 Mauser in 8x57.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually I have a steel Lyman aperture sight for a Mauser 98 in a drawer. I agree they are easier to sight especially for old eyes.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mineral spirits and a toothbrush on that bottom metal first, get that crud outta there. Follow up with some nice modern synthetic lube and you should be good to go. I love the double sets.

That's pretty much a classic "Eurosporter" mit der Schnabel. But no humpy stock.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,895
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.