Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a Remington 700 in .243 ADL with the sporter barrel. I was cleaning it today and I inserted my Teslong bore scope from the receiver end into the chamber. I noticed that 2 of the rifling ridges were right up to the end of the throat at the bolt end. While the other 4 were much further up the throat. The rifle shoots good but I can't say it shoots great with my hand loads. Was the chamber and consequently the throat reamed off center?? The first picture shows the rifling down to the edge of the chamber where it meets the throat. So the question is, is there a fix for this and do I really need it ?
kwg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one shows the rifling back away from the throat.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kwg020; 03/14/24.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is this a factory barrel or one that someone cut in the lathe with a fixed reamer holder and didn't indicate the bore true?

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is a factory barrel.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could run a throater into it to even up the lands but the chamber will still be off center. Or set it back and rechamber but being a factory barrel probably not worth it. Probably not shoot much better either.
Always marveled at how wonky chambering can get, yet still deliver acceptable accuracy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I doudt a throater will fix anything reamer or throater is gonna want to follow whats already crooked.
If there's enough shank to cut it back and pre- bore it true you might finally get a straight chamber, but I see some pretty decent tooling marks i would just get a new barrel and start over.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another Teslong victim..

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
Another Teslong victim..

g
That's what I get for taking a peek. I will get it to the range in the near future and see Just how good or bad it shoots. If I had a throater I'd try to dress it up but I'm not sure I want to go so far as to buy one. I'm not getting any distorted brass that I can see and the round loads smoothly into the chamber.

That's what I get for looking.

kwg

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Common on factory Remington barrels. Usually not enough barrel to cut the whole chamber off and rechamber it.

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Common on factory Remington barrels. Usually not enough barrel to cut the whole chamber off and rechamber it.
I killed 3 pigs with the rifle in January but my longest shot was 50 yards. I need to get back to the range and try it again to see just how accurate or inaccurate the gun is. Since it's a factory sporter barrel it's not worth spending a big pile of money on. I checked Midway USA last night, a throat reamer and the associated tools to "fix" this issue are over $230. It will still be just a $300 gun when I'm done.

It is what it is until another day.

kwg

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
BOOM!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
243 Remington barrels are cheap on fleabay

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
243 Remington barrels are cheap on fleabay
I'm sure they are. So, why did the owner remove the barrel ?? I'm reluctant to buy someone else's problem. I did take the rifle to the range on Thursday. I was getting consistent 2 " groups. I was hoping for a bit better. Towards the end (22 rounds fired) the groups started to open up and I decided to call it quits for the day. When I got home I found the rear scope ring mount screw was loose. I guess I will go back out the first of the week and try it again. I lock tited them bastards down this time.

kwg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been a victim myself of having a factory offset chamber in on rifle that was so bad it was obvious to the eye. When the gunsmith replaced it, not only was the chamber offset, the whole barrel wobbles when rolling it on the table.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Take off barrels are sold all the time. I bought a Remington 308 Varmint contour takeoff that was unfired, to do some testing, and found the same condition with the chamber off center with the bore. I tried setting it back as far as possible and have a shoulder to tighten against, never worked.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rebore and rechamber it to 338 Fed or 358 Win. $300 and a prayer or two might fix it.

Medics bury their mistakes..
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dinny
Rebore and rechamber it to 338 Fed or 358 Win. $300 and a prayer or two might fix it.
It's a sporter weight barrel. I would be concerned there wouldn't be much of a barrel left.

kwg

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kwg020
It's a sporter weight barrel. I would be concerned there wouldn't be much of a barrel left.

kwg

Ye have little faith.

Medics bury their mistakes..
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Funny how a $100 bore scope can end up costing you so much more money …

I’ve got a REM Model 7 in 7-08 that has a chamber about that crooked, but it puts 139gr Hornady into an inch or better with every load and powder I’ve tried. I about crapped myself when I first looked at the scope, but if the bedding and everything else is right, they can shoot well.

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Over the weekend I ran some more Brasso down the tube and shined it up real nice and pretty. I took it to the range today and could only get on the 50 yard range in the short amount of time I had available. It's still a 2 inch gun with just a bit of improvement. I guess it will be a 2 inch gun for eternity. I'll let my son worry about it after I am gone.

For the future, barrel makers are going to have to contend with the fallout of cheap and readily available bore scopes and maybe up their game a bit. No more of this guess and by golly stuff then sending it out the door hoping it will shoot. Now for a few bucks, we can all see for ourselves the quality of their work.

kwg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The problem will ne that the case head through the first .5" might be useful....but moving to the chamber from there it's going to be a bunch of single point work to get square.....assuming you have enough meat, an Ackley case might clean up.....but now you're trying to catch a feel 3" deep or trust a rod...

I'd just shoot it as is or have it as some pillar material.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,903
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.