Print Thread
Hop To
C
Chuck_R Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
My 2nd retirement gift (from me to me) is going to be a plains game hunt in SA for the summer of 25.

A friend that's going with me has a couple specifics he's after. He's been before and would like to get better samples of; Gemsbuck, Wildebeest and a Zebra (his wife's request/demand, wants a rug).

I honestly don't care about trophies, I'd just like to see Afrika and hunt some. I've got a longer list of things I don't want to shoot; monkeys, giraffes, zebras and top 5 stuff. So I'm just going to pick somethings off that menu that look cool and will work in 6-7 days of hunting. I'm way more interested in Land Rovers wall tents etc.

We're currently working with 2 PHs:

https://jkosafaris.com/ Came recommended by a friend that went last year for buff & plains game with his wife and is going back next year. They came back with a pretty reasonable package of my friends choices, 6 days for just under $5K. (including the trophy fees for his 3 choices, all the usual exclusions apply)

https://volmersafaris.com/ Comes recommended by another retired army guy that lived in SA and works periodically for a contractor company supporting the SA .gov. He's hunted with these guys for 15 safaris so far and was born/raised in SA. The PH was just here for a SCI event and stayed at his house, so they've got a history.

Total budget I've set aside is about $20K (including bringing back some euro mounts).

Thoughts on what else to look for/worry about?

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The only suggestion I would offer is to consider extending to a 10-day hunt. That offers some flexibility if things don’t come together quickly or the weather isn’t perfect, etc. The fixed costs of getting over there, taxidermy, airfare, etc. are considerable as compared to the marginal costs of a few extra days. And you have a bit more time to deal with jet lag. In any event, have a great trip!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
C
Chuck_R Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
The only suggestion I would offer is to consider extending to a 10-day hunt. That offers some flexibility if things don’t come together quickly or the weather isn’t perfect, etc. The fixed costs of getting over there, taxidermy, airfare, etc. are considerable as compared to the marginal costs of a few extra days. And you have a bit more time to deal with jet lag. In any event, have a great trip!

Excellent suggestion!!

With 2x1 I think it comes down to about $360 a day, minimal cost when you consider it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely on the 10 days to hunt

Suggest you have a basic list of animals and some extra cash “in the bank” for targets of opportunity. Makes the decision much easier when you come across something you had not really even thought about and your PH get’s excited about it.

Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Chuck:

Congratulations on making a plan to get to Africa! Beware....there is no cure once bitten. laugh

I have to agree with the two other recommendations about extending your plans to a LEAST 10 FULL hunting days. What I mean is SOME places might count your day of arrival and your day of departure at "a day". Another reason is your airline expense in both time and money is going to be the same whether you go for 1-day or 30-days. The "time" part of this is because it is going to cost you at LEAST two calendar days (from the US) just to get to Jberg. This is because all the flights from the US directly to Jberg are overnight flights. If you decide to route via Europe or Qatar or the UAE, that means possible LONG layovers and two overnight flights. Then, depending on how far your hunting location is from Jberg, you may have to stay overnight there and either be picked up the next morning or catch another domestic flt. with a road transfer after that. Coming home is a least two calendar days or more, again.

So, the primary take-a-ways from the above paragraph are: Plan for at least 10-full hunting days. Be sure to sort out with whomever you book with, how they handle, charge and count for the transfer to/from lodge/camp and how they count the "day of arrival" and "day of departure".

Hunting 2x1 with friend, spouse or child can be great fun and very rewarding but, there is one downside. 2x1 means: 1 PH, 1 truck and however many trackers if any. If both hunters are just culling or both are only taking European mounts and NOT bringing home any shoulder mounts, rugs or flat skins. Just be aware, that when one of you takes a trophy animal that is going to be shoulder mount, rug or flat skin, like a zebra rug, once that animal is shot, the hunting pretty much stops until the animal is recovered, loaded and delivered to the skinning shed. Why? Even in the cooler temps from late Jun to mid Aug, the skins must be gotten off and into salt ASAP to prevent the hair from slipping when it is actually tanned. For a zebra, the BEST way to salt is as soon as it is off and blood is washed off, it should go into a very heavy brine solution and not just packed in rock salt to dry. The other game species are nearly as critical as zebra but ANY and ALL game taken where the hide is going to be used in any way, really needs to get to the skinning shed ASAP. So, example.....you're out on the morning hunt and buddy #1, smacks his zebra mid-morning, pictures taken etc. There is usually a good bit extra care taken when loading it so the hide isn't damaged, it's just not tossed in like a sack of potatoes or just winched on with a cable around the neck. By the time you get to the skinning shed and the same care is taken getting it off the truck, it's getting close to lunch and not enough time to go back out. The result being that hunter #2 has lost a half-day of hunting. By adding the extra few days, it somewhat compensates for this....provided BOTH of you understand this possibility and are agreeable to it. It can be a possible cause of a little friction if one hunter is only taking European mounts and no skins and the other is after shoulder mounts, rugs and flat skins. All I'm try to get at here is to be 100% SURE you are both on the same page. I've seen some friendships go south over similar.

Last thing to consider, unless your hard set on hunting in RSA, there are some other countries you could hunt 1x1 for less than your paying for 2x1 there.

Your budget is pretty good. Part of this is it's all not due and payable upfront. It is really spread out of the course of a year or more. The first tranche is the deposit to lock your dates. Next, is the airfare. Then, depending on the terms/conditions with your outfitter/PH will be full payment for the daily rates. Then money in your pocket for your trophy fees. Reminder, unless you're a repeat client, your account is expected to be settled and paid in full before you depart. SOME places that have a lot of hunters thru camp will have a CC machine to settle your account out. Just make 100% certain you've coordinated directly with your CC provider to expect a large overseas charge on our about XX date and the name they have on their CC account. Not pre-coordinating this with your CC provider could not only result in the charge being declined but, your CC provider might go so far as turn your card OFF r cancel it, due to suspicious foreign activity.

The next tranche of money will come 4-6 months after your home. It will be from the taxidermist. They generally require payment before they begin any work. The last tranche will be once the taxidermy is completed and ready to ship and is paid either to the taxidermist or one payment for the taxidermy and one to the shipping agent that gets the stuff to the US. You'll need to sort out the US receiving agent that will process the import paperwork, receive and clear the shipment thru US Customs and USF&W and then the freight from them to your door.

Just my thoughts and ramblings. Feel free to use or discard as you see fit.

EDITED TO ADD:

One more downside to 2x1 hunting is if one guy buggers the shot on something and it turns into an all day tracking/recovery rodeo the hunting pretty much stops for the other guy too. Even if the hunters, tracking party etc stumble on another trophy head along the way the PH MAY be reluctant to to allow it to be taken in the off chance that shot is buggered too and now there are two tracking rodeos. Again, maybe I'm just being "Captain Obvious" but, as long as both hunting buddies fully understand some of the limitations 2x1 might impose and both are fully agreeable you can still have a great time.

Last edited by M3taco; 03/03/24.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’d add Gemsbok and Kudu to your list

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
C
Chuck_R Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Guys,

Excellent info!

I'm copying and pasting into a word doc, so we can send questions to the PH(s)!

THANKS!!!

Chuck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As stated several times, do 10 days and plan a day off to head to town or explore other opportunities.

Would recommend going through Newark, vs Atlanta. Customs in Atlanta sucks (my opinion).

Get your global entry, 25.00 or so more than pre-check.

I initially had reservations about shooting a Zebra, but they're one of the spookier animals to get within reasonable range.

The small antelope are typically challenging and cheaper than the big stuff.

I've been to Limpopopo area twice, terrain can be pretty flat and thick to mixed. For the most part it's all high fenced and properties can very greatly.

Eastern Cape for the most part is low fence with extended ranges.

Figure 3-4k minimum to get your stuff back. It's kinda ridiculous and prices keep going up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chuck, did you go to the expo this past weekend in Overland Park? A friend and I went and collected info for a possible SA hunt, although after listening to Boddington's presentation, I've become entranced by the idea of elk in Mongolia.

C
Chuck_R Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mesabi
Chuck, did you go to the expo this past weekend in Overland Park? A friend and I went and collected info for a possible SA hunt, although after listening to Boddington's presentation, I've become entranced by the idea of elk in Mongolia.

Nope I missed it.

By the time I realized it was happening I already had guys coming out to shoot on SAT, and help lined up to do some firewood on SUN.

Mongolian elk sounds cool, probably less expensive than the trip in WY we're saving for.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boddington said it was one of the most affordable hunts in Mongolia. Gotta' be cheaper than some of the ones in the USA.

C
Chuck_R Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mesabi
Boddington said it was one of the most affordable hunts in Mongolia. Gotta' be cheaper than some of the ones in the USA.

I don't doubt it. My only issue would be the inability to bring the meat back, which is also a semi hang-up with a safari, but I'm getting over it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
8 or 9 days of Red Stag hunting in Patagonia in Argentina is $8000 - $9000 right now. With flights and tips, it is still cheaper than most guided hunts for Elk in the U.S.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by M3taco
Chuck:

Congratulations on making a plan to get to Africa! Beware....there is no cure once bitten. laugh

I have to agree with the two other recommendations about extending your plans to a LEAST 10 FULL hunting days. What I mean is SOME places might count your day of arrival and your day of departure at "a day". Another reason is your airline expense in both time and money is going to be the same whether you go for 1-day or 30-days. The "time" part of this is because it is going to cost you at LEAST two calendar days (from the US) just to get to Jberg. This is because all the flights from the US directly to Jberg are overnight flights. If you decide to route via Europe or Qatar or the UAE, that means possible LONG layovers and two overnight flights. Then, depending on how far your hunting location is from Jberg, you may have to stay overnight there and either be picked up the next morning or catch another domestic flt. with a road transfer after that. Coming home is a least two calendar days or more, again.

So, the primary take-a-ways from the above paragraph are: Plan for at least 10-full hunting days. Be sure to sort out with whomever you book with, how they handle, charge and count for the transfer to/from lodge/camp and how they count the "day of arrival" and "day of departure".

Hunting 2x1 with friend, spouse or child can be great fun and very rewarding but, there is one downside. 2x1 means: 1 PH, 1 truck and however many trackers if any. If both hunters are just culling or both are only taking European mounts and NOT bringing home any shoulder mounts, rugs or flat skins. Just be aware, that when one of you takes a trophy animal that is going to be shoulder mount, rug or flat skin, like a zebra rug, once that animal is shot, the hunting pretty much stops until the animal is recovered, loaded and delivered to the skinning shed. Why? Even in the cooler temps from late Jun to mid Aug, the skins must be gotten off and into salt ASAP to prevent the hair from slipping when it is actually tanned. For a zebra, the BEST way to salt is as soon as it is off and blood is washed off, it should go into a very heavy brine solution and not just packed in rock salt to dry. The other game species are nearly as critical as zebra but ANY and ALL game taken where the hide is going to be used in any way, really needs to get to the skinning shed ASAP. So, example.....you're out on the morning hunt and buddy #1, smacks his zebra mid-morning, pictures taken etc. There is usually a good bit extra care taken when loading it so the hide isn't damaged, it's just not tossed in like a sack of potatoes or just winched on with a cable around the neck. By the time you get to the skinning shed and the same care is taken getting it off the truck, it's getting close to lunch and not enough time to go back out. The result being that hunter #2 has lost a half-day of hunting. By adding the extra few days, it somewhat compensates for this....provided BOTH of you understand this possibility and are agreeable to it. It can be a possible cause of a little friction if one hunter is only taking European mounts and no skins and the other is after shoulder mounts, rugs and flat skins. All I'm try to get at here is to be 100% SURE you are both on the same page. I've seen some friendships go south over similar.

Last thing to consider, unless your hard set on hunting in RSA, there are some other countries you could hunt 1x1 for less than your paying for 2x1 there.

Your budget is pretty good. Part of this is it's all not due and payable upfront. It is really spread out of the course of a year or more. The first tranche is the deposit to lock your dates. Next, is the airfare. Then, depending on the terms/conditions with your outfitter/PH will be full payment for the daily rates. Then money in your pocket for your trophy fees. Reminder, unless you're a repeat client, your account is expected to be settled and paid in full before you depart. SOME places that have a lot of hunters thru camp will have a CC machine to settle your account out. Just make 100% certain you've coordinated directly with your CC provider to expect a large overseas charge on our about XX date and the name they have on their CC account. Not pre-coordinating this with your CC provider could not only result in the charge being declined but, your CC provider might go so far as turn your card OFF r cancel it, due to suspicious foreign activity.

The next tranche of money will come 4-6 months after your home. It will be from the taxidermist. They generally require payment before they begin any work. The last tranche will be once the taxidermy is completed and ready to ship and is paid either to the taxidermist or one payment for the taxidermy and one to the shipping agent that gets the stuff to the US. You'll need to sort out the US receiving agent that will process the import paperwork, receive and clear the shipment thru US Customs and USF&W and then the freight from them to your door.

Just my thoughts and ramblings. Feel free to use or discard as you see fit.

EDITED TO ADD:

One more downside to 2x1 hunting is if one guy buggers the shot on something and it turns into an all day tracking/recovery rodeo the hunting pretty much stops for the other guy too. Even if the hunters, tracking party etc stumble on another trophy head along the way the PH MAY be reluctant to to allow it to be taken in the off chance that shot is buggered too and now there are two tracking rodeos. Again, maybe I'm just being "Captain Obvious" but, as long as both hunting buddies fully understand some of the limitations 2x1 might impose and both are fully agreeable you can still have a great time.

Keep rambling, this is GREAT stuff!

I'm looking at cull hunts in Africa because I have no use for trophies. I guess that comes from growing up in the UK where we went hunting to literally put food on our table rather than for bragging rights. I do like making challenging shots on game, ensuring swift kills and I like to do that a lot. I think we might be ready in about 3 or 4 years but can't get enough info from very knowledgeable people like you. Based on what you know, which countries are a more cost effective option for such a hunt, other than SA? Thanks for the very informative post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by the_gman
I'm looking at cull hunts in Africa because I have no use for trophies. I guess that comes from growing up in the UK where we went hunting to literally put food on our table rather than for bragging rights. I do like making challenging shots on game, ensuring swift kills and I like to do that a lot. I think we might be ready in about 3 or 4 years but can't get enough info from very knowledgeable people like you. Based on what you know, which countries are a more cost effective option for such a hunt, other than SA? Thanks for the very informative post.

Local gun shop goes to a place in the Eastern Cape that has some pretty good cull packages, I'll see what I can dig up this week and post the outfitters name here. I believe they've been there a handful of times and keep going back.

I've been over three times and going back again next year. Hoping to just mostly do cull animals as the cost of getting things back has more than doubled in the last handful of years and is getting quite ridiculous.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with the 10 day hunt suggestions. 2x1 for 10 days equals a 5 day hunt IMO.

I would even go as far as suggesting a 1x1 for both of you. As long as the hunt areas can accommodate. That way your partner can concentrate on his list. You can focus on your experience and allow everything to unfold. Typically going from a 1x1 to 2x1 does not save you 50%.

Some places will count the afternoon of the first day and the morning of the last day as 1 complete day also. One more thing to ask about.

On my first trip to Africa, it was a very similar scenario with a 2x1 hunt. Partner had a definite list and me wanting to experience Africa and taking whatever the hunt provided.

So talk it out before hand.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Originally Posted by the_gman

Local gun shop goes to a place in the Eastern Cape that has some pretty good cull packages, I'll see what I can dig up this week and post the outfitters name here. I believe they've been there a handful of times and keep going back.

I've been over three times and going back again next year. Hoping to just mostly do cull animals as the cost of getting things back has more than doubled in the last handful of years and is getting quite ridiculous.

Thanks for the info. Whatever you can share is much appreciated.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
69sportfury, I'm with you no more trophies, in fact waiting right now for the cost of my animals in Chicago for 4 days storage at the airport thanks to our agriculture dept taking their time and the customs broker fees. but planning on the East Cape again next year with Intaba Safaris, Eugene and staff are great people and very good prices but this time pictures only.3 shoulder mounts a zebra back skin, 2 euro warthog and a cape buffalo euro was many thousands by the time it hits my front door in a week or so

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't overlook the smaller animals. Duikers, Mtn Reedbuck, Steenbok, Oribi, etc... can be very challenging to hunt and often have very reasonable trophy fees. Also consider things like jackal, caracal, bushpig etc... And don't pass up a gift from the bush. I have passed on some things like nyala and tsessebe that I wasn't planning to go after and later regretted it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,147
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.