Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Today was a great day at the range. I took a brand new 22 Hornet out to sight in the scope. I fired two shots and had a small mechanical problem. As I was attempting to fix things, an older fellow I know said, "I have something for you." It was a book.

It was written by Desmond Burke, who was born in Ottawa, and an accomplished shooter (and doctor). Links below. It's possible that some of you may have heard of him. The fellow who gave this to me said that he was at a gun show recently and this book was returned to him. It was an autographed copy originally given to him by the author. They knew each other years ago before his death in 1973.

Please check the links. Lt. Col. Burke is a part of Canadian history. Among his accomplishments, he was the youngest to win the King’s Prize at Bisley, in 1924, at age 19 or 20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_T._Burke

https://www.queensmedal.net/files/burke.htm

https://www.sportshall.ca/hall-of-famers/hall-of-famers-search.html?proID=416&lang=EN

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very cool! That should be a good read. I grew up in Goffstown NH, the home town of Ned Roberts. My wifes grandfather new him fairly well. They were a different breed, I think alot of what they learned was by trial and error.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Very cool! That should be a good read. I grew up in Goffstown NH, the home town of Ned Roberts. My wifes grandfather new him fairly well. They were a different breed, I think alot of what they learned was by trial and error.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back to those times for a few days and just look around?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sure would, I remember as a kid, listening to the old timers at the fish and game club. This was late 50's, early 60's I was fascinated by some of their stories. Some of them were active in the shooting sports, at the turn of the century. I wish someone had documented some of their stories.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 03/14/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,038
Posts18,481,979
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.