Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm finally going to be moving permanently back onto my family farm (where I was raised) into a new home I'm building. Hallelujah!! But all of my stuff is scattered from Hell to breakfast. I've got two climate controlled storage units and two non-climate controlled units rented, and stuff in sheds and buildings on the farm. Consequently, all of my hunting, shooting, gunsmithing, and reloading stuff is packed away.

The good news is that packing all of this stuff was like Christmas: I was constantly finding things that I had forgotten that I had! And it gave me a valuable opportunity to accurately inventory all of the stuff. I was surprised at the amount, or lack thereof, of some things. Like, where in the world did all of this Sitka Gear come from??? I found that I had significant gaps in my powder and primer inventories, but I was overall a little better off in the bullet dept than I expected. The packing turned out to be a worthwhile exercise.

But now I'm playing the waiting game.... It'll be at least 3 more months before we move into our new digs. In the evenings I loved to retire to my hobby room and reload or work on a project. My wife loves to shoot too, so sometimes she joins me and helps me sort brass, load primer tubes, feed the Dillon, etc. But we can't do any of that now with all my stuff packed away, so I'm having Reloading Withdrawal.

But, this isn't a withdrawal that I'm likely to get over. Been doing it for too long. So, I'm hanging in there like a hair in a biscuit, biding my time, studying photos of other folks' reloading setups to give me ideas, reading (just bought some Elmer Keith books), studying a couple of reloading manuals that I left out, planning some trips, working on some farm equipment, and other things to keep me occupied.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
HR IC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Relocated to another house 6 summers ago....Took me a couple of summers to find MOST of my stuff once again...
Definitely a pain in the a**....

but moved into a house 30% smaller than the last piece of property, where we lived for 17 years.

More land, more parking ability, plenty of room for all of my wife's " junk".. and 6 years later half of my possessions are still in 'storage'........ with my wife's constant comment about my predicament " what can we do? WE HAVE NO ROOM!"

But we always have plenty of room for all the things she hauls home. Enjoy being able to have room to do what you want to do...Sounds wonderful to me....Congrats

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a good opportunity to get out the .22's.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We're downsizing from a 4120 sq ft home to a 2044 sq ft, BUT we're going to build a minimum 32'x40' shop building. I figured up that the 4120 sq ft home had over 1850 sq ft in it that was either wasted, unneeded or could be moved to the shop bldg, so the wife and I are confident that the 2044 sq ft are going to be adequate.

Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Yessir!! We kept out a pair of .22 rifles, a cheap AR, really cheap .308 bolt rifle, cheap 12 ga pump, single shot and cheap pump .410, and one each .22, .380, 9mm, and 38 Spl handguns, all el cheapos, and some ammo to feed 'em. Bought a small safe to hold them and landlady let us drill holes in the concrete floor and wall to anchor it down. Also have 3 German Shepherds and a Belgian Malinois (or Maligator as a Spec Ops training friend of mine calls them) helping to take care of security.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skeezix
We're downsizing from a 4120 sq ft home to a 2044 sq ft, BUT we're going to build a minimum 32'x40' shop building. I figured up that the 4120 sq ft home had over 1850 sq ft in it that was either wasted, unneeded or could be moved to the shop bldg, so the wife and I are confident that the 2044 sq ft are going to be adequate.

Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Yessir!! We kept out a pair of .22 rifles, a cheap AR, really cheap .308 bolt rifle, cheap 12 ga pump, single shot and cheap pump .410, and one each .22, .380, 9mm, and 38 Spl handguns, all el cheapos, and some ammo to feed 'em. Bought a small safe to hold them and landlady let us drill holes in the concrete floor and wall to anchor it down. Also have 3 German Shepherds and a Belgian Malinois (or Maligator as a Spec Ops training friend of mine calls them) helping to take care of security.
My advice on the size of your shop is that they are like tackle boxes, no mater how big they are you still run out of room. 32x40 sounds big but it can fill up faster than you think.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I built a good sized room for reloading and tinkering with guns in our current home. We are building a shop-house on the farm right now for when we are there. I stay over there a couple nights a week already, but I'm thinking I need a small reloading room there where I can test/shoot on site rather than the long trek back and forth. Congratulations, sounds like you'll have a great place.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 52 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,691
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.