Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got a new Jaguar with the 27" barrel. Started shooting it yesterday. Couple hundred rounds through it so far. This thing hammers. It will be an open sight rifle once I've i figure the ammo out. Long sight radius is nice.
So far it really likes Wolf match extra (old stuff) and Norma 22 match.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Chop and thread to 18", toss a good scope on 'er, and quit worrying about 'sight radius' and open sights......

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I saw one last weekend. Is it the modern equivalent of the 452 Ultra Lux?

Last edited by IZH27; 03/03/24.
T
T
How does the action feel and compare on these to earlier rifles? My second rifle was a 452, and I love the long sight radius on it. I’ve scoped it various times in the past and it’s one of my most accurate rifles to 100yds. I see the action is a good bit different on this latest iteration.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve had one for about three months and love it, it’s my iron sight rifle also. I did acquire a set of ghost ring blades that slip right in where the flat notch blade is. Older eyes need help!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
If i wanted a short barrel with a scope i would have another varmint. That long barrel sure is quiet.

NRA Benefactor Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
If i wanted a short barrel with a scope i would have another varmint. That long barrel sure is quiet.

Nice rifles. You bought it that way, leave it as is. I'd have no intention of changing it either!! I've been watching these CZ's for a while now, and just bought an American. One thing about the 457, is they run smooth as hell. Very nice rifles. I'm really liking mine. Just about got it perfected now. She's shooting pretty good, but not quite as well as either of my Winchester sporters. Congrats on your jaguar. Some other ones that look really nice is the 457 Lux, 457 trainer, and Canadian model, which is not available here. A shame too, because I may have bough that one before I bought the American. Nice to see someone that wants to shoot irons though. Good for you!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice to see someone that wants to shoot irons though.

And nice to see someone that wants to shoot a modern version of the Kentucky Long Rifle.

Nostalgia must trump common sense and use-ability nowadays.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
You're probably against teaching cursive and telling time in school too.

NRA Benefactor Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22

And nice to see someone that wants to shoot a modern version of the Kentucky Long Rifle.

It's nice to have options. I would think a lot of us grew up on iron sights. And killed the schidt out of stuff with them too. Shooting irons is not just about "nostalgia", it's also about learning the fundamentals of marksmanship. Every kid should learn to shoot with irons first, then transfer to a scope. That also gives them an appreciation for modern optics. I love having rifles with iron sights on them. Most of my rifles do, except for my precision rifles. I've bought 3 sporter type 22lr rifles in the last 2 months, and 2 out of the 3 have iron sights on them. Hell, even half of my AR's have iron sights. Knowing and being proficient with different types of equipment, only adds tools to your tool bag. A MacGyver like you should know this.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Hope you’re not being serious…….??? I use my Jaguar in the open sight class for sporter silhouette - no Hubble topped Vudoos allowed😁

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 03/14/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PennDog

Hope you’re not being serious…….??? I use my Jaguar in the open sight class for sporter silhouette - no Hubble topped Vudoos allowed😁

PennDog

There are still some guys out there that have the ability to use iron sights. Some can use them quite well. Some of mine are like cheating, so they may not be considered true "irons", but they were used on a lot of target rifles. I'm just thankful my eyesight lets me use them. The older I get, the more I am thankful of that. There will be a day when I can't use them. That will be a sad sad day. IMHO. As it is, I have to shoot irons right handed, because my left eye is bad.

I have a buddy that shoots a Mossberg 144 in our rimfire matches, and he can hit the 1/4" target on the KYL rack. Damn guy is impressive. I'm lucky when I hit a 1" dot at 50 yards 3 times in a row.

Right before one KYL match, I pulled my Savage MKII out, made sure it was dialed in, just incase I decided I'd shoot it against my friend in one match. A grudge match, if you will.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That was a Saturday, as we tend to have our matches on Saturdays. That day I ended up using my single shot Savage MK1 FVT that I had scoped. After that days competitions, my buddy and I shot some practice rounds on the KYL rack, and he cleaned it with his Mossberg. I made it to the 1/2" target, and missed the 1/4" target. They had to be painted with high viz orange paint, for me to see them well enough to make hits. That is with front and rear apertures though.

I was at a LGS, the other day, and they had some nice CZ's. 2 different trainers, similar to the Jaguar model, but they were the older models, 452 and 413. One was $349.95, and the 452 was $399.95. I was thinking awfully hard about buying the 452, but I was still working with my new 457 American. Getting it to shoot consistently. I like the 457 model better than the older ones though. They made some good upgrades to the 457. I look forward to hearing more about it!!

I'm definitely not going to bad mouth a guy wanting to use iron sights though. It's a skill that I feel is fading in the gun community. I see it frequently. Even with pistols.

I also use the hell out of scopes, especially when shooting longrange. I started a thread about the current rimfire challenge that is put on by Day at the range. It's called the "St. Patrick's day challenge". I think huntsman needs to take his rimx or vudoo with its high powered scope and try to impress us with his ability. Send targets and pictures to the link I provided. Anyone with a scope can do it, right?

I look forward to seeing Don's score. Good luck!!!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

PennDog

I did not realize they had an open sight class in silhouette. That would be challenging! Good to see shooters moving away from scopes ... and the bench.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MikeS

PennDog

I did not realize they had an open sight class in silhouette. That would be challenging! Good to see shooters moving away from scopes ... and the bench.

Ridgway, PA had an inaugural match last year and they are supposed to do more this year with a match at Nationals in Raton, NM. Hopefully it’ll be something that prospers but who knows. It is great fun though!

PennDog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool, standard smallbore targets?

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes - open barrel sights is the only real requirement. I hope it goes but most of the guys shooting it were older - maybe huntsman is right we should be using Kentucky rifles😄. Jaguar helped me with the fiber optic!

PennDog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m pretty sure the open sight sporter silhouette targets are the 1/2scale pistol size, not the 1/5 scale 22lr size.

The same size as used for 22lr leveraction silhouette.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Bill in NE
I’m pretty sure the open sight sporter silhouette targets are the 1/2scale pistol size, not the 1/5 scale 22lr size.

The same size as used for 22lr leveraction silhouette.

Yes this is correct.

PennDog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.