Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Japlvr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'm 62. I carry a 12 gauge no complaint. People are shockingly soft and lazy nowdays.

And some 62 year old guys have more stainless steel & titanium in their bodies than other guys on account of broken bones & worn out joints.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88
I consider the 20 gauge with lead a 35 yard gun. You run across some that are better but it’s the exception not the rule.

I use Win XX 1 5/16 ounce or Longbeard in 5’s or 6’s if I’m shooting lead in a 20.

I’ve killed several turkeys 40 yards with these loads. They are more effective than the paper patterns would indicate.
A lot of ammo is far more effective than paper indicates.

For me turkey hunting is a close range game. A regular full in 20 will easily get a guy to 30 yards. We make things more complicated than needed.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/04/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Apex ninja 8.5 tss in 20 ga adjusted after this shot. 40 yds
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Longbeard#5 lead in 20 ga 41 yards
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
They’ll both kill any turkey at 40

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Japlvr
I'm 62. I carry a 12 gauge no complaint. People are shockingly soft and lazy nowdays.

And some 62 year old guys have more stainless steel & titanium in their bodies than other guys on account of broken bones & worn out joints.
Every joint and my spine is inflamed with arthritis and deteriorating. Knees, hips, shoulders, hands. Have had several surgeries and in need of more. Cry me a river. Like I said. People are soft and lazy.

J
Japlvr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

Every joint and my spine is inflamed with arthritis. Knees, hips, shoulders, thumbs. No cartilege left in several. In constant pain. Cry me a river.

Quit eating sugar & processed meats for the inflammation. Haven't had any for going on 5 years. Fish oil & turmeric daily works wonders for me. But ain't no gettin' around the stainless steel plates, screws, and titanium balls riding in ceramic sockets.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Every joint and my spine is inflamed with arthritis. Knees, hips, shoulders, thumbs. No cartilege left in several. In constant pain. Cry me a river.

Quit eating sugar & processed meats for the inflammation. Haven't had any for going on 5 years. Fish oil & turmeric daily works wonders for me. But ain't no gettin' around the stainless steel plates, screws, and titanium balls riding in ceramic sockets.
Already on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boss ammunition loads a 20 ga. 3" 2 oz TSS load,, they are 11 bucks a shot, order 100 bucks worth they ship free, so your looking at 22-33 bucks for a season worth of ammo, compared to gas, camo, and other hunting gear ammo is the cheapest part of turkey hunting even shooting TSS

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I ran across some longbeard xr 20 ga 6's tonight . I bought my wife some. I set me up a Mossberg SA 20ga turkey gun. Indian Creek. 555 TSS 9.5 shot. This yr i went to a 28ga.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a believer in the Carlsons Longbeard XR choke. I have one in 12 gauge, .665, and it patterns Longbeard XR better than any other choke I have, save the Pattermaster Code Black turkey, which is pretty close. The Carlsons Longbeard XR choke is the choke I'd use in 20 gauge if I were going to use Longbeard XR or Double X.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/10/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Dang. Those are showing as 43% off. $36.99 per box of 5. If I wasn't stocked up on Federal #9, I'd get some.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Patterns about what I'd expect with half your shot over the turks head wasted. Think about it and hold lower on the neck. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mangum Go, what load/shot you referring to there?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[quote=Blackheart]I'm 62. I carry a 12 gauge no complaint. People are shockingly soft and lazy nowdays.

Not lazy, just smart. I can load 20ga tss for 3.50 ish a shell. And it is just as if not more lethal than any heavy 12 ga w lead. Plus it weighs 4.5 pounds..

Don't gobble at me
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Just can't see spending $15 per shot, but my 62 year old bones love carrying a 5 3/4 lb 20 gauge Benelli vs an almost 8 pound, 12 bore while trekking the Appalachian Mountains.
I agree 100% 👍.....BUT I pay the $15 😁.....Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V

No steel in my body and i am almost 60 years old but I dont turkey hunt on the back 40 out of a turkey blind that takes all of 10 minutes to walk to through the open pasture where carrying a 7.5lb 12ga makes no difference, my preferred turkey hunting method envolves hiking several miles (2 to 8 miles) of rugged Appalachian ridges and hollows each hunt so why would I want to carry the extra weight? I travel light with my gear and good lightweight boots are also a must.....Good hunting...Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

No steel in my body and i am almost 60 years old but I dont turkey hunt on the back 40 out of a turkey blind that takes all of 10 minutes to walk to through the open pasture where carrying a 7.5lb 12ga makes no difference, my preferred turkey hunting method envolves hiking several miles (2 to 8 miles) of rugged Appalachian ridges and hollows each hunt so why would I want to carry the extra weight? I travel light with my gear and good lightweight boots are also a must.....Good hunting...Hb
Used to do the same when I got my first 10 at age 17. Probably 10+ pounds loaded up and I never missed a beat in some of the Southern Missouri Ozarks. Got to where I hated packing that thing even a half mile.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
62 years old, morning junior! Lol!

A 20ga, using lead, IMO, is a 30 yard gun. Will it kill further? Of course it will. But is further a good shot? TSS sure makes up the difference for a 20ga! I don't use TSS for ridiculously long distances, but that swarm of #9's give incredible patterns and allows the 20ga to stretch its legs a little further. If you look at the price of a single round, do you also calculate the cost of every bite? Way cheaper to just go get a Butterball....

Best to you and to everyone headed out this spring, enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
62 years old, morning junior! Lol!

A 20ga, using lead, IMO, is a 30 yard gun. Will it kill further? Of course it will. But is further a good shot? TSS sure makes up the difference for a 20ga! I don't use TSS for ridiculously long distances, but that swarm of #9's give incredible patterns and allows the 20ga to stretch its legs a little further. If you look at the price of a single round, do you also calculate the cost of every bite? Way cheaper to just go get a Butterball....

Best to you and to everyone headed out this spring, enjoy!
I will take that 30 yards and in nowadays. I enjoy the show more than anything. I chased those 40 yard numbers with my 12 gauge about 10 years ago.

These days I enjoy the hunt far more than the kill.

In fact the last bird with the 10 gauge was shot at about 25 yards in the timber, couldn't even see any farther. It was about that time I realized even a 20 with a standard field load would kill 99% of the turkeys in my AO. That other 1% will get a pass and gives us another day to play the game.

Not knocking anyone but a $15 load isn't needed to kill a 40 yard turkey.

I remember my grandpa telling me that giving $.80 a shell was nuts when I first got my 10, I would hate to think what he would think about the cost of ammo now.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/15/24.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm glad that it's up to each individual what we want to use. The mention of TSS sure steps on a lot of toes...

And yes, the hunt/experience is way more important to me than a kill too.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not knocking anyone but a $15 load isn't needed to kill a 40 yard turkey.

That statement right there is about as true as anything I've ever read on here. I'm not going to knock anyone on what they choose to spend their money on, as it's their dollar, but killing a turkey doesn't require a lot of expense.

I knew two deer hunters in our community who were total opposites when it came to their equipment. One used a Savage 110 rifle and Tasco scope that he'd bought at Walmart, and whatever shells were the cheapest. The other guy had a custom rilfe built on a Model 700 action, and loaded his own ammo, using whatever bullets were the latest rage. Though the latter fellow had the best deer hunting land, it was the first guy who was by far and away the best hunter and killed the most deer. Why..........because he knew that the equipment was only part of the game.

I have never used anything but lead shot, and have killed a slew of turkeys over the years. I honestly can say that I have never felt handicapped by not using a shell that might gain me 5 yards or so. But, that's just me and my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.