-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not the best pictures but most of my place was thick enough you couldn't walk easily. Mulched trails and some whole areas to open it up a little for turkeys. Keep those areas clear now with burning in spring then hit them with the rotary on the skid steer once or twice a year.

My cousin and I rented the Cat with the forestry head. Did my place, his place and let a buddy borrow it to clear locust saplings from his pasture.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/14/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Short video of 2 small cedars I mulched.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JRiDWTO0ydU?feature=shared

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Small Osage Orange. These things make a mess and do not decay for many years. Good thing is once all of the mulch is seasoned the mulch and splinters burn easily during a yearly burn.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0RQsdWY8Bt4?feature=shared

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by PJ65
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Buy a Stihl......
You will Stihl be trying to get it started 😉 meanwhile husky is working.

Three running Stihls currently in my shop, and a 288 that's needs, something, or other. I'll fix it one of these days, maybe.
And I have 4 working huskies in my truck. One being a late 80s 288. And 2 stihls torn apart in the shop.

My 288 was a pretty good saw to run on my Alaska mill, likely because i didn't give a chit about it. Not worth a damn buckin' firewood though. My Stihl 362 would out cut it every time. Probably the coil went out. One of these days I'll break it down and figure it out.
That makes no sense at all

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
I've got about 15 or so acres of 8-10 foot tall pines that are thick as hair. Should I talk to a forestry consultant? Or what is the best way to thin them to encourage tree growth and wildlife?

My bad... I misread "8-10 tall"... as 8"-10" @ BH.

A GOOD hog will handle that.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Weed eater with a saw blade?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is a chore that I am thankful I no longer need to do! I helped a logger thin the growth at the Grand Lake Lodge many years ago! Brutal(I was the laborer). On another note; I took a hike many years ago from the fire tower on Shadow mountain (Grand Lake) and hiked south to the south end of Shadow Mountain reservoir. Thickest stand of lodgepole I have ever seen. Regrowth after a burn many years ago! Could barely walk through it!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like call to the local forestry unit or a timber consultant is the next step.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
.......leave stumps so that you can't use ground engaging implements, and with most woody type growth...it'll grow back thicker and harder to control..

I was gonna say whatever you do don't leave short little stumps, you'll regret it every time you walk through there. If you have to leave them, paint the fresh cuts with concentrated glyphosate.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
.......leave stumps so that you can't use ground engaging implements, and with most woody type growth...it'll grow back thicker and harder to control..

I was gonna say whatever you do don't leave short little stumps, you'll regret it every time you walk through there. If you have to leave them, paint the fresh cuts with concentrated glyphosate.
For pine trees? Don't think I've ever seen a pine stump sprout.

While much of what's been put on this thread is useful, until the OP comes back with more specific goals/objectives its all moot. Same for when he contacts the forester...

Last edited by pointer; 03/15/24.
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by smokepole

For pine trees? Don't think I've ever seen a pine stump sprout.

While much of what's been put on this thread is useful, until the OP comes back with more specific goals/objectives its all moot. Same for when he contacts the forester...

Smaller short leaf pines are the only ones that can resprout, owing this ability to fire adaptation. Loblolly, VA, white pine will never stump sprout.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Sounds like call to the local forestry unit or a timber consultant is the next step.

One thing to keep in mind when talking to a private consultant working for a timber company or outfit that provides the service you might need is they will likely tell you lots of works needs done or lots of trees need harvested. That's how they make their money and even if they don't provide what you need they will gladly funnel your job to someone who can do it.

If trying to arrange a cost share deal with whatever gov entity you are dealing with they will likely require a forest plan completed. A private forester can do this for you, but again, is likely to recommend lots of works done because that's how they or their company makes their money. The gov entity will pay for having a forest plan done and it doesn't mean you need to do any of the work "recommended"

The forester working for the State, Dept of Lands, etc, doesn't have anything riding on your choice of what needs done. Remember, it's you property.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1beaver_shooter, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,014
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.