Print Thread
Hop To
B
BURRUSS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Just wondering about the glass quality and dependibilty of these scopes?

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been using their 3-9X40 on a .375 H&H since '99. No problems noted. I am going to move it over to my .375 Ruger and see how it does there this year.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Several friends have on DGR especially for Leopard hunting. I looked Thur one at a outdoor show this past weekend(for what that's worth) & the glass appears quite good. I may purchase one for night predator hunting.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one on my AR-15. The 4x32 model as often seen in photos from Iraq. Supposedly the handle of the rifle will bend before the scope will break. (I've never personally tried this:-))

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I also have one on Rock River Predator Pursuit that I use for hog hunting. It is the 2.5-10X56. It does very well in low light, perfect for this application. I would recommend it without hesitation. I'm not going to tell you the glass is as good as a 3-12X56 V/VM Zeiss, but it is closer than you would think.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
How well do they work after sitting in a covered stand for 2 hours?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The same as they work when you first climbed in.

I suspect you are confusing them with the Bushnell scope that has a glowing reticle that needs to be recharged with a flashlight. Instead, the Trijicon's reticle is tritium, which picks up any ambient light. So unless it is really, really dark it will still glow.

I have used two Trijicon's extensively, a 1.25-4x on my 9.3 BS (a light rifle that pushes 286's to over 2400 fps) and a 2.5-10x on various varmint rifles. Both are still going great.

The Trijicon's are made by perhaps the top optical firm in Japan, which has a reputation for making very reliable and optically fine scopes for other companies. Only the reticle is put in over here. Personally, I think they're great, a very good and reliable solution to aiming in dim light.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I used mine on three different leopard hunts before I got a shot (I know, slow learner).

The scope is dual mode illumination: tritium bead and ambient light via fiber optic. The tritium bead uses a small amount of radioactive tritium (hydrogen 3) to give off light in what would otherwise be total darkness. I noticed in the leopard blind at night that when your eyes are fully dark adapted you can actually see a little of that light outside the scope. The FO brings any outside light in for illumination, and this source is usually way more intense than the internal tritium source. In very bright outside light the reticle still shows black, and can be used without any of the light sources.

Trijicon says the tritium bead is good for 15 years, mine is about 9 years old now and is still going strong. You return the scope to them for a "refill". Otherwise, it doesn't change at all sitting on your stand.

jim

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How would the trijicon glass quality compare with the vx-III and does it provide good visibility of the field in low light (not just good visibility of the reticle. I can see great in low light with my leupy but the reticle can be tough to make out sometimes. I want good low light glass as well as a good visible reticle. Is trijicon the way to go???

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The Trijicon works for me.

You could also have Leup. put a heavier reticle in your current scope. Definitely cheaper than buying a second scope.

jim

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
IMVHO, it doesn't compare to the VXIII - it is that much better!

I have the 3-9 Accupoint on my AR for low light predator calling. The tritium reticle is what drew me to the scope. The AWESOME glass was a pleasant surprise.

Initially the post reticle took some getting used to - especially on the bench. However, in the field it is second nature. With both eyes open, the post seems to jump right out - especially quick on moving targets.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've had a 3-9x40 on a 7 Rem. Mag. for about 3 years now & like the above poster said, the reticle takes a bit of getting used to on the bench (I've found using the bottom of a diamond shape to be the most precise aiming point at the range, to get good groups.).

In the field, it's darn quick to get "on" target with & the glass is pretty darn good too, IMO. The reticle is super in very low light and it's not changed POI in the 3 years I've used it, including many bumps and bangs from using climbing stands in the brush up in cold NW Wisconsin and banging around in the truck in the rocky terrain of the Texas Panhandle.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 75 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.