Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Not paying attention, I put 32oz of lower unit oil (80W-90) in my engine. (20hp Merc EFI outboard)

The motor capacity is 1.1 quart of engine oil....so I drained the gear lube out overnight. I also changed the filter beforehand but obviously didn't run the motor so it should be OK.

Any other precautions or is that enough?

MAGA!

"an armed society is a polite society"
GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put something like Sea foam in it to flush it out. More than one can. Maybe Berryman's B-12.

That's all I got.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Measure what you drained out ?

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
drain it and fill it up with the right oil, a little gear oil won't hurt it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't do something dumb, like forget to tighten clamps and put on safety strap before starting.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Maybe do the drain and fill thing then run the engine an hour and drain and fill correctly if you're worried

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jwp475

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If still worried the small amount of gear oil left in it. Run the engine to operating temp, drain the oil hot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pat85
If still worried the small amount of gear oil left in it. Run the engine to operating temp, drain the oil hot.

^ Thats all, if you want a little extra peace of mind. Like STX mentioned dont worry about it after. a little isnt a worry.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PatB
Maybe do the drain and fill thing then run the engine an hour and drain and fill correctly if you're worried

I don't know crap about boats or their needs, but if that gear oil stinks (has sulphur)
I'd do as Pat says. If the drained hot oil smell like gear oil, I'd do it again.

Don't know if it would matter, just know oil is a hell of a lot cheaper than engines.
One thing I do know about boats, in a world of crazy prices anymore, boat stuff is
cutting off your own Johnson crazy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your oil pump might bog a bit if it gets an undiluted slug of gear oil... You ight refill it with something from the light end of the recommended range.

Any oil is better than no oil.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's 1 qt of oil. If I was the least bit worried about it I'd put the right oil in without running it, then drain it out to flush any remaining gear oil. Fill it back up and run it.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Way back in the day, had a big block Plymouth that "used a little oil". Solution to slow the oil consumption was to put in 4 qts of straight 50W racing oil. Then top off with 90W gear grease. Cranked slow in cold weather. Otherwise zero ill effects.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fill it with the proper oil and run it on Idle for 10 minutes or so, drain it, put the proper oil in it and spend a little time reading the bottles in your garage.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It probably won't hurt it, but I'd fill it with diesel and let soak for a good bit, then drain it. Let it drip for an hour or more. Then fill it with the right stuff.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Add a few ounces of Diesel fuel or Mineral Spirits to a regular oil fill, run to operating temp, drain and refill. On the sludged-up antique engines I work with, I overfill the crankcase with 3 quarts of Diesel on top of a full fill of cheap oil, and run the engine for 20 minutes at fast idle. It cleans up the sludge like a washing machine.

DO NOT PUT ANY LOAD ON THE ENGINE WITH THE SOLVENT ONBOARD! fast idle only at no load.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Small engine have small delicate moving parts that may not like the added stress of thick oil. I'd just want to be sure I got a high percentage of it out of there before running.

A new 20 HP Merc is about $3600 BTW.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
Small engine have small delicate moving parts that may not like the added stress of thick oil. I'd just want to be sure I got a high percentage of it out of there before running.

A new 20 HP Merc is about $3600 BTW.
No kidding, if a 20HP tiller handle long shaft Mercury can be had for that I will buy one. My net boat has been without a motor for over a year. It is 18 feet long and about 6 feet wide at the gunwales. Don't need to go fast, 10 or 15 MPH is fine

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
It's 1 qt of oil. If I was the least bit worried about it I'd put the right oil in without running it, then drain it out to flush any remaining gear oil. Fill it back up and run it.
1 qt, yes, but is it 100% of the oil in the engine? If it holds 4 qt, that's something else entirely.
I wouldn't worry about it either way. Just drain it and refill. Run it a bit to absorb whatever's left, then change it again.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,895
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.