Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
marzoom Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
So reloading for 308 cal which I have done for many years but just recently got back into reloading'
So using a Lee Reloader which only neck size. Why do I have some reloaded ammo give me resistance cambering into my rifle?
These have been fire form in same rifle. Do I have my Lee sizing die mal-adjusted and resizing too much of the cartridge neck?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
My first guess it’s time to PFLR and bump the shoulder back. Need the ability to FL resize for that.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
My first guess it’s time to PFLR and bump the shoulder back. Need the ability to FL resize for that.

Yep. Most likely headspace issue. Bump the shoulders back and should be good. If not next I would check your seating depth and make sure your not jamming hard in the lands

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How many loadings of that brass with the Lee Loader?

M
marzoom Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Gonna try backing off a bit. Funny thing is that it is not with every shell.

IC B2

M
marzoom Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by 300_savage

Approximately 3, playing with reloads.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by marzoom

That is not unusual at all. Individual pieces of brass will “spring back” a different amount.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Also, might be getting to the point where the brass needs annealed.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Redding Body die would take care of that issue.

If they make a 338 Federal Body Die, you could size the cases giving you problems without disassembling the loaded rounds.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That is not unusual at all. Individual pieces of brass will “spring back” a different amount.

And annealing after every firing usually gets laughed at, but not by the guys that do it to avoid this very issue......

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300_savage

Approximately 3, playing with reloads.
When I used a Lee Loader many years ago, I found that FL sizing was necessary every 4-5 loads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American

And annealing after every firing usually gets laughed at, but not by the guys that do it to avoid this very issue......

Full length resize every time. Annealing is not necessary, there are 10’s of thousands of rounds in that pile and years of shooting and reloading, not one case has been annealed.

The idea that neck sizing saves you anything is proven that it doesn’t when you can’t get your reloads into your chamber and close the bolt…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't neck size anything, but I've found annealing does what it's supposed to do.

10's of thousands of cases fired once or twice is not the same as a couple few hundred fired dozens.

I'll judge what's necessary for myself......

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't neck size anything, but I've found annealing does what it's supposed to do.

10's of thousands of cases fired once or twice is not the same as a couple few hundred fired dozens.

Choose all you want, you won’t shoot in a lifetime what I do in a year. Once or twice on any of that brass was over 30 years ago…

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Choose all you want, you won’t shoot in a lifetime what I do in a year. Once or twice on any of that brass was over 30 years ago…

Yeah, ok.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, ok.

It’s ok to anneal, but could you tell me how long it would take to anneal and load that much ammunition?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yeah, ok.

It’s ok to anneal, but could you tell me how long it would take to anneal and load that much ammunition?

I have a better question....

What is your "tens of thousands" of rounds of ammo, and what is it for? That would determine if annealing would be beneficial. For example, I have a stock pile of reloaded 556 ammo and a metric ass load more to reload. In fact, i just bought a Dillon to do it. Not a single round will be annealed because if it's ever needed it's just gonna lay on the ground and stay there.

I have a very hard time believing that "tens of thousands" of rounds are fired dozens of times every year as you say, but, whatever. And besides, I'm betting very heavy odds that your "pile" is outside the scope of the context of the OP, and of my response to the OP. Maybe you're just seeing an opportunity to brag up on your "pile". I dunno.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This video explains it.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, ok.

I have a better question....

What is your "tens of thousands" of rounds of ammo, and what is it for? That would determine if annealing would be beneficial. For example, I have a stock pile of reloaded 556 ammo and a metric ass load more to reload. In fact, i just bought a Dillon to do it. Not a single round will be annealed because if it's ever needed it's just gonna lay on the ground and stay there.

I have a very hard time believing that "tens of thousands" of rounds are fired dozens of times every year as you say, but, whatever. And besides, I'm betting very heavy odds that your "pile" is outside the scope of the context of the OP, and of my response to the OP. Maybe you're just seeing an opportunity to brag up on your "pile". I dunno.

Just answer the first question…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is 6:40 AM here, this is guns and ammo for the day we will be shooting. It isn’t about how much ammunition you have it’s about how much you shoot and reload. The original question was about a hard closing of reloaded ammunition and I addressed it with full length resizing, which does work, this is just the evidence of such.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,288
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.