Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
If the conversation is drifting towards what would I leave in my truck. My buddy brought me a bunch of PSA parts with some cheap upper they make, an anderson lower IIRc and we put together a lower and the gun for him, I have no idea what he paid for the parts, but he is a thrifty man, we have shot it twice now and it works fine, I steered him towards slip 2000 and he keeps it well lubed. He has some cheap LPVO scope on it from somewhere. To me a truck gun would be something like that, if someone steals it your not out a lot of money, now you have me thinking about a project like this, me I would get a barrel with a FSB and put a carry handle on the gun, deja vu, and out to one hundred for me at least you would be good to go.

https://midwestindustriesinc.com/mi-ar15-m16-carry-handle/

I am going to add a question, what type of SHTF do you think might happen.
Our SHTF is a coyote. A pig. A deer. Or hopefully not a 2 legged. Its not for any war. But its certainly there in each vehicle for the wild liberal stupid masses these days. And enough of the gun and ammo to defend and retreat to a better place.

As to cheap and gun vs stolen. yes cheap. But I'm all ok with cheap for other reasons. BUT it has to peform. If I have to make a difficult or longer shot it still has to work.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Up close, dots are really only faster on a mounted target transition from one target to another.

Mounted target transitions simply don't happen, ever, in the real world but are very common in 3 Gun type shooting.

This would be 2 shots or so to one target and then transtioning to another without breaking the mount.

That never happens is the real world and I have spent a lot of time trying to find any example of anyone ever having done it or know anyone who did it.

Don't be afraid of a bit of Xs on the bottom end and a fixed 3X is not a bad choice at all.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/04/24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by lvmiker
If your rifle may be used as a people shooter outdoors positive target ID is mandatory. Many folks can get hits on mansized targets at 300 yards w/ irons or a red dot but you won't be able to see their hands or what those hands hold w/out magnification. Taking target discrimination out of the equation makes life easier.

mike r

Exactly. Dots are fine for people. Magnification is for finding the right people, and then shooting only certain pieces of them.
Which is why 95%?? of people don't need extra X.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your rifle may be used as a people shooter outdoors positive target ID is mandatory. Many folks can get hits on mansized targets at 300 yards w/ irons or a red dot but you won't be able to see their hands or what those hands hold w/out magnification. Taking target discrimination out of the equation makes life easier.

mike r

Exactly. Dots are fine for people. Magnification is for finding the right people, and then shooting only certain pieces of them.

What’s that movie line, “Nothing wrong with a little shootin’ long as the right people get shot”😛

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
While I own and have run both on various setups for years…both my own and those ‘provided’, the LPVO wins in about all scenarios…for me. There are reasons already covered, but decent glass, reticle, and magnification on call also enable you to see not just detail at longer ranges, but farther into shadow under foliage, back in rooms from the outside, discern a rag or fur from a rock, etc. plenty of times it can enable a shot that your naked eye can’t resolve through a dot sight….whether you’ve glassed and know what you’re looking for or not. I don’t foresee much cause for me to plan on going indoors after anything with my ‘truck’ gun, which is the only place I give a dot the upper hand. I don’t feel too handicapped by dots or prisms for an HD or SHTF rig, but I’ve developed the opinion that I’d rather have a durable LPV for covering all the bases the best way. I’ve been in positions where just about any option imaginable was readily available, and I still often ran an older Elcan 1/4: I couldn’t break it, it always had a reticle, and I had 4x when needed. It fit my particular needs very well for my issued ‘truck gun’.
wink

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Weaver 1.5 - 4.5 Grand Slam here. German #4 reticle, with red dot. It's a rugged but hefty scope. Pulled the battery. On my second one. Sent the first one back not realizing astigmatism makes it impossible to focus the illuminated type dots. Just a fuzzy blob. The hologram type like EOTech don't have that issue.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have both I like both. I feel more precise with the lpvo. plenty-fast.
but I am right at the left eye dominant and keeping both eyes open and getting named correctly is easier with the Red Dot.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Who makes a good lvpo 1-6 or so for under $500?

I put a vortex red dot that has a built-in 5x magnifier on the lightweight 300 hamr for my 11 year old to hunt deer with last year. It worked pretty well and he heart shot his first deer at 200 yards with it. I also used it to shoot my buck as it was running though tall brush and it worked well there too.

However the glass isn't the best and the eye relief is short and sensitive. I'd like to go to an lvpo. I have a ss 1-4 that's ok but I'll probably put it on one of my lever guns. I'd like another option with a bit more mag range.

I'd also like a good durable lvpo for my 375 ruger bolt gun.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Blue,

I'm so stealing this line.

Magnification is for finding the right people, and then shooting only certain pieces of them.

Yeah. I wish I had said thatgrin

mike r

I'm pretty good at stuff.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Who makes a good lvpo 1-6 or so for under $500?

I'd rather have a $500 1-4 than a 1-6. The glass on a P4xi or Accupoint 1-4 will be better than a 1-6 in the same price range. I'd prioritize glass quality over Xs.

If you're willing to spend $650-$700 I'd look around for a used Credo 1-6 with the BDC Hunter reticle. They're the real sleeper in that range.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Credo (HX in my case) is a great scope. Well worth the bucks.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Where I live, no such thing as a "truck gun", just guns, and I don't even want to know what an "LPVGBTQ" is! I know my 55yo eyes like high magnification for distance, and red dots for close shooting. Holosun's & Romeo5's do the trick close, my old Leupy VariXIII 3x10's do the rest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lc11
Where I live, no such thing as a "truck gun", just guns, and I don't even want to know what an "LPVGBTQ" is! I know my 55yo eyes like high magnification for distance, and red dots for close shooting. Holosun's & Romeo5's do the trick close, my old Leupy VariXIII 3x10's do the rest.

Yes - claiming ignorance of what a Low Powered Variable Optic is certainly lends credence to your opinion on the matter.

Me

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Teal

Yes - claiming ignorance of what a Low Powered Variable Optic is certainly lends credence to your opinion on the matter.
Poor child, you were butthurt by my comment, back under your rock lowbrow🤭

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Just because some of us have not heard some of the alphabet soup stuff doesn't always mean we aren't credible.

OTOH sometimes it does.

I had no clue on what LPVO was. Now that I know I've been using those since the 80s on guns. Not my choice for the AR for the SHTF type scenario, but they work well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Poor child, you were butthurt by my comment, back under your rock lowbrow🤭

Lol - I'm not hurt by a damned thing but yeah - keep rocking on with that virtue signaling.

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The fact people much more commonly say things that bring up the butthurt? comment sure sucks for this country.

You should not have to have thick skin or ignore it. It used to get settled in the parking lot. But no one that threatens folks on the keyboard will show up anywhere to see if they can back up their smart azz not called for comments.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495

Just because some of us have not heard some of the alphabet soup stuff doesn't always mean we aren't credible.

OTOH sometimes it does.

I had no clue on what LPVO was. Now that I know I've been using those since the 80s on guns. Not my choice for the AR for the SHTF type scenario, but they work well.

rost, I had no idea what LPVO stood for until not that long ago, either. Couple years ago, maybe.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by rost495

OTOH sometimes it does.

rost, I had no idea what LPVO stood for until not that long ago, either. Couple years ago, maybe.

Ah. 3 people ignorant. LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not a big deal if we call stuff by different names or don't know what names are.

But it's not helpful when someone asks for advice on A or B and gets a response like, "I've never used B, I like A!"

If that happened in real life you'd tell that guy to shut up. if in real life you were tasked with choosing between Ford and Chevy for your new company trucks and asked for personal, relevant experience with both and somebody shouted, "I like Ford, never drove a Chevy, never seen a Chevy, don't even know what a Chevy is! Also, I'm not going to provide any relevant insight as to why I like Ford or my experience with them, I'm just gonna shout that I like them."

That wouldn't be helpful in comparing the two trucks. Nobody likes that guy. Don't be that guy.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.