Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Living east of the Mississippi River in farm country doesn’t afford many of us with much time to hunt elk. Usually one trip a year for 5-7 days is it. That is IF we draw a tag! Living vicariously through the posts on forums like this keeps the juices flowing and interest up. Many of us are older now as well, so doing a self outfitted hunt isn’t in the cards. Hiring an outfitter isn’t cheap either so making the most of what opportunity we might get pretty much dictates the choices of calibers. As others have said, a 270 with premium bullets is where it starts and then goes up from there.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well said John55! Born and raised in the deep South, I dreamed of hunting in the Rockies, Alaska, and Africa. I was very fortunate, though with much sacrifice, move to Wyoming in the mid-‘80’s. I will regrettably, lack of money and now age, never see Alaskan or Africa.

All that said, I have much respect for those that can make sacrifices to hunt out west or Africa. I also feel sadness for those that wish to, but can only live vicariously through this and other forums.

As John55 indicated, and I’ll take some liberties with his statement, for those only having the opportunity to do it once…..elk cartridges start with the 270 (preferably with a premium bullet) and go up from there. There really isn’t an upper end on cartridges, merely an upper-end determined by the hunter. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb
…..elk cartridges start with the 270 (preferably with a premium bullet) and go up from there.

More stupid shít from a stupid shìt

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Well said John55! Born and raised in the deep South, I dreamed of hunting in the Rockies, Alaska, and Africa. I was very fortunate, though with much sacrifice, move to Wyoming in the mid-‘80’s. I will regrettably, lack of money and now age, never see Alaskan or Africa.

All that said, I have much respect for those that can make sacrifices to hunt out west or Africa. I also feel sadness for those that wish to, but can only live vicariously through this and other forums.

As John55 indicated, and I’ll take some liberties with his statement, for those only having the opportunity to do it once…..elk cartridges start with the 270 (preferably with a premium bullet) and go up from there. There really isn’t an upper end on cartridges, merely an upper-end determined by the hunter. memtb

Africa can be done very easily as people age. Yes, the money will always be an issue for 95% of us, but I will say this, I’d suggest begging, borrowing, stealing, hell, whatever it takes. I’ve always dreamt of a moose/caribou hunt in Alaska, but the prices have become ridiculous. You can still do a plains game hunt in South Africa for $5-$10k and kill a bunch of animals. It’s an experience that just can’t be explained.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was the 4th generation in my family to have been born in Denver, but other than my Uncle, I think that I was the first hunter. My Uncle had a rifle and maybe went out in the woods a few times "hunting" for deer, but I don't think he ever killed one.

I started hunting when I was in college in the mid '60s and went with one of my roommates in NW Colorado. The first year my roommate loaned me a Winchester .32 Special and I shot my first deer. The next year I borrowed my Uncle's .30-40 Krag and I killed my frist elk, a 5x5 bull, and I was hooked.

My summer jobs through college were with the Forest Service in Steamboat Spgs, CO, and the year after I got my first elk I decided that I needed my own centerfire hunting rifle. Two of the guys that I worked with had grown up in the Steamboat area and had hunted most of their life, so I asked them what rifle I should get. They both said to get a bolt action .270 Win or .30-06. They said that only the dudes from Denver shot .300 Winchesters when they came to the mountains once a year to hunt elk.

So I bought a Herter's .30-06 barrelled action and semi inleted stock, put them together that summer, and I then had my elk and everything else rifle for the next 10 years. That rifle easily put 8 elk in my freezer, including a 375" 6x6 bull who's shoulder mount is still the centerpiece of one wall in my house.

A couple of years after I moved from Colorado to Montana, my new hunting partner here gave me a .30 Gibbs case. I thought that case looked so cool that I carried it around in my pocket for several months, and finally had a gunsmith in Kalispell re-chamber my .30-06 to .30 Gibbs. Ballistice of that cartridge approached the ballistics of the .300 Win, so I then hunted with a rifle similar to the rifles that the dudes from Denver used. For the next 20 some years that rifle kept my freezers full of elk, moose, and other wild game meat. Then a case forming apparent overload pretty much ended the life of that rifle.

Ever since the '60s I've admired and wanted to have a Weatherby rifle. I shaped and finished the stock of my Herter's .30-06 and four other rifles to look similar to the Weatherby Mark V design. Then in 2009 I had a 7 mm Rem mag, but I wanted another .30 caliber elk rifle, so I finally bought a Weatherby rifle, a Vanguard chambered in .300 Wby which quickly became my favorite rifle.

I've never been on a guided elk hunt, but I have gone on a dozen international hunts that were guided, so I know the thinking that people that don't live in elk country have about what rifle or cartridge they should bring on their maybe once in a lifetime elk hunt. I've taken my .300 Wby on half of my international hunts.

Originally Posted by super T
I've also noticed that the farther away from elk country a hunter lives the bigger the cartridge he thinks he needs.
The biggest rifle/cartridge that I have is a .375 RUM that I built in 2005 for an African cape buffalo hunt. I've taken it on two African hunts and an Alaskan brown bear hunt, but for at least 15 years it has been a safe queen. My second most powerful rifle is my .300 Wby that I've used to kill two bull elk within 1/4 mile of my house.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am beginning to think this thread is very silly.

This forum is about elk hunting, usually a rifle.

Often during rifle season I see elk too far away to shoot at.

Why wouldn’t one wonder how to make too far away ……not?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Africa can be done very easily as people age. Yes, the money will always be an issue for 95% of us, but I will say this, I’d suggest begging, borrowing, stealing, hell, whatever it takes. I’ve always dreamt of a moose/caribou hunt in Alaska, but the prices have become ridiculous.

Barriers are only an issue if a person makes them one.
Age will get the best of people, but where there’s a will, there’s a way…

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am beginning to think this thread is very silly.

This forum is about elk hunting, usually a rifle.

Often during rifle season I see elk too far away to shoot at.

Why wouldn’t one wonder how to make too far away ……not?

The art and skill of stealth is slowly disappearing in the face of technology….and the internet.

The ultimate in elk hunting is 4-5” of fresh powder, temps in the teens, and a hot elk track in the deep timber……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well boy howdy!

We should all be sneaky sons a beaches……and track em down.

Agreed…..

But we can’t really suggest or compare effort….or can we?

I know I learned about the sneaky Pete’s foot covers last year.

I like them.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/16/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There’s a tremendous difference of someone who lives in elk country, has daily opportunities to shoot elk vs the hunter who has a weekend or maybe more and will shoot at an elk as it is running away. I know a rancher that when he was a teenager his dad owned many square miles of prime elk country and no one else was allowed on his property. He shot a nice bull with his 25-35.

Even gun writers don’t agree on the perfect gun and the perfect bullet. Some same the elk are tougher than moose.

Guides will not always agree. Some like the 30-06 but prefer a 300 Magnum for their use. Some people think the 300 magnums kick too much.

I read where one noted gun writer thinks the 270 is bare minimum and it wouldn’t be his choice. Another writer says the 25-06 is adequate. I recall a writer or two that said a belted magnum is required.

What I don’t understand is why some are so darned sure their choice is the best choice in all circumstances.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/18/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I’ve a fair amount of experience hunting elk, harvested my first in 1965 while going to college in Colorado, graduated and moved to Wyoming Jan 1967, hunted elk serious until 1977 when I moved to Alaska, that ended my elk hunting for about 20 years except got one or two trips outside to hunt them with buddies in Wyoming. I consider myself a pretty dedicated hunter for whatever zI pursue, stay in shape and hunt hard. The really good hunters I know share several common traits, more important than what they shoot or how much money they make. First and for most they can shoot, and shoot at good at game. Second they are not afraid, in fact relish working hard, dawn to dark, the tougher the hunt the more they value its worth. They know the country and scout preseason religiously. They know the game and their habits. They are extremely patient, spend hours behind the glass. Do not move on game unless the conditions favor a. successful stalk. And they hunt like wolves, quiiet , sneaky, and never quit. They know what is needed on gear and guns , do not waste time and money in superevlous [bleep]. Do not mind spending a night on the mountain if that will lend itself to being there when needed. They respect and admire their quarry and tray it with respect.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There’s very very very few folks that get to hunt elk every year, otc. Some of us get to every year, even fewer get the luxery of hunting elk otc in a jungle like western wa, nw Oregon or Idaho panhandle every year.

It’s not like drawing an Arizona/New Mexico/colorado/Utah tag. Come try it lady’s.👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Judman
There’s very very very few folks that get to hunt elk every year, otc. Some of us get to every year, even fewer get the luxery of hunting elk otc in a jungle like western wa, nw Oregon or Idaho panhandle every year.

It’s not like drawing an Arizona/New Mexico/colorado/Utah tag. Come try it lady’s.👊🏻

That’s right! While I like a new rifle as well as the next looney, with the exception of 2020 and 2023 due to health issues, I hunt Washington otc, and either MT or CO on a leftover or otc bull tag. I like to discuss rifles and loads, but when it comes down to the nut cutting’, I grab one of two proven elk rifles and head out. Kinda the same for deer.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With all the electronics gadgets and super bullets , there seems to be less hunting and more killing.Progress I guess

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Judman

Pffff. Whatever. My family had the keys to much of the timber company land outside Pe Ell after they shut it down. Over 50+ years they killed elk every year in clear cuts, and rarely had to hike. They drug the elk out using a reduction unit on a chain saw and 600ft of rope. When I tell those old timers who are in their late 70’s and 80’s now how we hunt OTC in the Wilderness of CO their response is “Fugg that.”

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
With all the electronics gadgets and super bullets , there seems to be less hunting and more killing.Progress I guess

Amen.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I met two outfitters near salmon Idaho.

They both claim the wolves have moved them into the agricultural areas.

Longer shots required in the sage transition area to timber outta the private hay ground.

If yer lucky enough to draw yer tags outta wolves in the area…..you might have a different opinion.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There are also very few people with as low of an IQ as you, as fat as you, or as obnoxious as you… and you’re a liberal voting D’bag to boot. Congratulations!?!??
Have you figured how to use a turret on a scope yet, F’n dumbass?
How much hunting have you been able to do lately without your golf-cart, fat [bleep]?
I honestly miss your trophy pics from your “hunts”… the f’n near heart attack, beet red face, gasping for air pictures really gave me a chuckle.
You are a typical stupid liberal F’n D’bag!!! GFY

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Just counted 9 out of 24 threads were about caliber, bullet, or rifles. What is it with the bullet fascination?

I've been chasing these four legged things around since 1996 and never thought much about either the rifle or bullet. Sure, I have a favorite gun or round, but it's more of a tool, than a fascination for me. I use a good solid copper. All reloads, chronographed, and charted to intended ranges. I prefer to spend my time at the range making sure the ballistics are solid to 600 yards and practice uphill/downhill and in the wind.

And I'm in the woods whenever I can be. I think boots on the ground is far more valuable than bullet selection.

Some people are enthusiast, they like rifles, scopes, handloading, shooting, etc..(put me in that category). Others are more interested in hunting and see rifles as simply tools, to each is own. I have a good friend who has hunted with the same Rem 700 BDL in 270 that he received as a gift in 1980. He spends a small fortune on hunting and taxidermy but would agonize if he had to spend a penny on a rifle, he has no interest at all.

Kind of like women and cars, they get in, drive it like they stole it and park it and then there are men who obsess about maintenance and like to work on and tinker with cars.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The ultimate in elk hunting is 4-5” of fresh powder, temps in the teens, and a hot elk track in the deep timber……[/quote]

Now you're talking Alpine! Of course...I will not shy away from a "hayfield" cow elk hunt/shoot, whatever. ha Love that elk meat!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,624
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.