Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My Son was just given a Steyr M III Professional in 25.06 from his Grandfather, that is never been shot and still in the box. From my limited research it appears this is a mid 90's gun. It has the flimsy black plastic stock that most internet folks all hate. Son intends for me to work up some loads and hunt with it.

There doesn't appear to be anyone making a replacement stock. I've searched Boyd's etc. Anyone have any ideas they can share.

Life is to short eat desert first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Work up some loads and let him shoot it as it is. I have a hunch you'll be surprised by how well it works.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The stock feels flimsy? I wonder if it's aftermarket.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There is a Canadian firm making replica Steyr Professional stocks. Check under thread for left handers...as I can't remember the name. Secondly , the stock is fine if you pillar bed it and bed the first half inch of the barrel and sand a slightly wider barrel channel, should you decide not to replace the stock. However, the stock weighs 36 oz from memory, you should be able to get about 8-9 oz off that weight with the replica stock.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks guys

Life is to short eat desert first
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those steyrs have very nicely finished metal - the actions are super smooth with very nice triggers. Unfortunately the stock and bottom plastic are junk. If you look at any number of them, the bottom plastic is almost always cracked around the front action screw.

A few years ago, a friend bought a dirt cheap professional with a cooked tube. I rebarreled, restocked (wildcat composite) and added an aluminum bottom metal - huge upgrades from the factory parts. Problem is he ended up with more invested than he wanted so he sold it.

If the rifle holds sentimental value and he wants to shoot it, I would take some precautionary steps.
I would fit a metal escutcheon/bushing around the front action screw to allow you to tighten the screw without applying the torque to the plastic bottom metal. The wildcat stock is a big upgrade - far more rigid/stiff than the original and considerably lighter. But I’m not sure if Stuart can ship to the USA these days.

The bottom metal came from an Austrian gunsmith who casts them - it was expensive and not finished very well. It took considerable fitting to make work. Oh and as a bonus the guy doesn’t speak English, or take credit cards which is extra handy.

Last edited by bigJ; 03/19/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, it was wildcat composites that make the stocks. But another thing that absolutely no one mentions is I believe that because of the rear locking lugs, that at high pressure, the brass cases stretch because of the compression in the bolt all the way to the rear locking lugs. This results in a stiff bolt lift if you go above perhaps 60,000 psi.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something to be careful of is getting bore cleaner like “ Shooters choice” in the stock action area. Steyr replace a couple of mine due to the cleaning solution weakening the plastic stock. The recoil from the 270 win would break the mag well holding the 5 round magazine. My original rifle had the brown stock , then an olive green one and last was the black stock. Each time they replaced the mag well/ trigger guard too 😁

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stuff like this is why I prefer rifles with more traditional construction. Despite the charms of the action, the furniture resembles that of Tupperware®️ rifles, and there aren’t enough of them around to support much in the line of aftermarket bits, which besides being a customizing/upgrade path, can also be used to keep them in use when something gets broken or goes missing (magazines). Seldom are rifles worn out, the bones can live on a long time, but cheesy parts can render them useless before their time.

Those professionals remind me of some of the rifles used by gamekeepers in Britain that get tossed about and used hard, and seem like a consumable tool. Thing is, a traditionally-made rifle can be put together for hard use too, but can easily be restored if needed.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I usually take a dim view of “artistic” paint jobs on stocks, but that 10/22 is bad-ass.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Stock on the Pro I owned would hit the barrel just sitting on the front rest . The rifle never shot good groups . The only good Steyr`s I have handled were in wood stocks .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Been a Steyr fan for years and own and have owned several. I still own 2 model M pro hunters a brown stocked 7x64 and a green stocked 270. Also have 2 Mk-III’s which came with black stocks, one in 25-06 and the other in 30-06. What I did to make the stock channel stiffer was to use an epoxy made by Famowood called glaze coat. You can find it at Lowe’s for about $25 a quart. It’s a 2 part epoxy that dries rigid but not as hard as say acraglass. It does add some extra weight but will stiffen the forearm’s making them more rigid and much less flexible. Yes they have their plastic floor plates and plastic rotary magazines which can become more brittle by using some cleaner/lubricants. Ballistol works well on guns with plastics and rubber recoil pads.
Just scope it and shoot it like it is and I am sure your son will enjoy his without doing anything extra to it. Tell him to thank his grandfather often for such a fine gift.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I own a left hand Model M in 30 06. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned. First time out a tight cloverleaf at 100 yards. I have spent thousands on custom rifles to get close to that accuracy. Mine is the Monte Carlo style wood rifle stock. While I much prefer the traditional classic American stock for looks, this stock fits me perfect and the cheek rest is perfect for quick and natural line of sight with the scope reticle. For me, no need to upgrade the stock after I used it last season. The plastic bottom is a complete POS and I have no clue what they were thinking because the rest of the rifle is excellent. I will be ordering the aluminum bottom metal for this rifle due to the original being cracked.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Illusions of grandeur just shattered. Always thought the Steyr professionals were just that. Even before Lone Wolf McQuade used one. Thought the stocks to be extremely heavy & therefore, stiff.

None ever came my way in the my preferred caliber, with the double triggers & a decent price. They've always been pricey.

Guess I dodged a bullet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (01Foreman400, AnthonyB, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.