Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not just Christmas or Easter.

Growing up, I was good friends with the kids in a JW family.

Our little grade school had parties often.
Mom's would do birthday parties, there were holiday parties,
a picnic type thing that lasted all day at years end.

For every single one of those, with 5 kids in school, Mom would swoop in just before the fun started, and take them home.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for sharing Jim. I knew and worked for a handful of JW’s through the years and all in all, very nice folks. They usually stick to themselves, but I am a handyman in demand and when you work for one, they refer you. Would I marry a JW? No. A hot Mormon gal? Maybe . I went to high school in a small town and the Mormon girls were very nice and well behaved. But that was 50 years ago. Back to JW’s is they don’t celebrate Christmas because Jesus didnt do anything yet. They don’t believe in blood transfusions because it’s considered the “ Eating of Blood”. That’s about all I know.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Neighbor told my wife her husband said “she could out talk a Jehovahs Witness!” I just love quaint country sayings. Some good misguided people who don’t read the scriptures themselves. Don’t believe in Christ as a part of the trinity and Messiah. Hitler put them in concentration camps along with the Jews. The 144,000 gets me too. The math doesn’t work. Now a funny story involving JWs.
Youngest son at age 3, was left in LR watching Sesame Street while the wife took her bath. A door from LR to bedrooms and bath left open. Wife would bathe then streak to the BR to put on her clothes, then back to RR to blow hair and put on makeup. Well, she finished her bath and was ready to streak to the BR and she heard adult voices that weren’t on Sesame Street! Randy had heard a knock on the front door, pulled a ladder back chair from the kitchen, unlatched the front door and invited 3 JWs in! Wife had to call him to her shut the door, streak to bedroom, get dressed and go out wet hair and no makeup to send the 3 JWs on their way. She wasn’t as nice as she usually was either. He is now a pastor with a DR in front of his name and still is razzed about the time he invited 3 JWs into home. He still invites them in and they don’t tarry long after being questioned about their beliefs and why they believe what do. One visit is enuff. I had a young black nurse that worked with my doctor. He helped me with prescriptions and we became friends. Loved to hunt and fish and I gifted him tackle and hunting gear. He was ingrained in JW beliefs. I tried to get him to read Bible for himself and let the Holy Spirit help him understand not depend on elders. Fine young man and family but lost. Still worry about Ralphand his family.

Last edited by carrollco; 03/19/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I don't recall ever talking with a JW member. What is their religious ideology??

L.W.
Just give us your address and time you’ll be home. We will make some calls and send some to your home!! Thank us later!! LOL!

That's mighty white of you, Alan. I do not know how to show my deep gratitude. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They have their own 'translation' of the Bible, called the New World Translation. It's not a translation at all. They took the real Bible and made something like 3000 changes to 'prove' their beliefs. They said the changes were corrections in the earlier translations. They change the meaning considerably. They have never revealed who did the 'translating'. There's no evidence that it was done by someone who was fluent in ancient Hebrew and Greek. If these guys were for real, they'd be proud to tell us what scholars made all those 'corrections'.

We have them show up here about once every couple of years. They never stay long as I've never been one to make them feel overly welcome. I'm not going to change their minds and they certainly aren't going to change mine so why waste time with them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’ve been debating joining. All that walking door to door would have to be a good cardio workout.

I’d do Mormon but I like alcohol and caffeine too much and I couldn’t get used to the temple garments, even if they make you invincible.

My fishing buddy in Utah is Mormon. We always have to leave 30 minutes early so he has time “to get the good beer” in Idaho.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't recall ever talking with a JW member. What is their religious ideology??

L.W.
Just give us your address and time you’ll be home. We will make some calls and send some to your home!! Thank us later!! LOL!

That's mighty white of you, Alan. I do not know how to show my deep gratitude. grin

L.W.
Sorry I took a shot at ya! The devil made me do it! LOL!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two contract electricians we use at work are journeyman electricians and JW. The only time their religion is ever brought up is when another trade is making fun of them. They’re great sports about it, good guys, great electricians. I’d hire them to do work anytime.

“You know why those two didn’t work last weekend? They were out of town at a doorbell ringing convention…”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

L.W.

L.W.
Sorry I took a shot at ya! The devil made me do it! LOL!

No harm, no foul, Alan. But you've got to look out for that devil dude. He'll get you in trouble every time. laugh

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 03/19/24. Reason: Sp.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GreggH
Had a conversation with one years ago. He informed me that Easter was a from a pagan religion. I said “ Oh! You’re one of the Jehovah False Witnesses aren’t you? “ Kinda sent him into a new orbit. Last one I have seen.

GreggH
Both Christmas and Easter were adopted from pagan holidays by the Christian church. No harm in that I suppose. Most likely made it easier to convert pagans as they didn't have to go underground with their celebrations.

After a generation or two the former pagans forgot all about their ancestors religion and the connection to the solstice and fertility festivals.

At Christmas time I wish my atheist family and friends a "merry solstice".

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They stop by here once in a while,black ones and spanish ones.
I just say I'm not interested and they leave. Same,to me,as the replacement window guys,or the Travelers that "noticed" my roof needs to be fixed or my driveway sealed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GreggH
Had a conversation with one years ago. He informed me that Easter was a from a pagan religion. I said “ Oh! You’re one of the Jehovah False Witnesses aren’t you? “ Kinda sent him into a new orbit. Last one I have seen.

GreggH

I heard that was a thing many long years ago. It had to be sometime between 1965 and 1968. Some weird preacher type and I was on my way home from work getting off a graveyards shift. His rants were sometimes the only thing that kept me awake as I was working at the Post Office at night and on the water front days. Anyway he was going on about how easter is a bastardization of the name Ishtar. He did make a pretty convincing lot of points to what he was saying. Dunno if he's right but I have heard the same said elsewhere.

Don't get me started on JWs and Mormons. Never had much truck with JWs but my first wife was Mormon. 'll just let it go at that.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I worked with one for several years. One day after the 4rth of July celebration in our small town he had gotten a ride to town with me and saw his son helping clean up the city park. He chewed that boys butt something awful for taking part in cleaning up after the celebration. He told me they do not honor the flag or country. I have held that against him since.

That and they don't vote, should find another country as far as I'm concerned.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have friends and family that are JWs and I'm familiar with the doctrine. They believe that their reward is resurrection in an earthly paradise, not heaven. The 144,000 are the one's that are called to serve God in heaven. They believe that the only way to salvation is through Christ, but do not believe in the Trinity. Jehovah is God, Christ is his son, and the Holy Spirit is separate as well. They don't believe in a fiery, torturous Hell. In any case, the one's I know are nice, pleasant people, but they keep mostly to themselves and don't get involved in politics or "worldly" things. When anyone is kicked out, the shunning is complete unless they decide they want to come back.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What is the story behind no windows?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I worked with one for several years. One day after the 4rth of July celebration in our small town he had gotten a ride to town with me and saw his son helping clean up the city park. He chewed that boys butt something awful for taking part in cleaning up after the celebration. He told me they do not honor the flag or country. I have held that against him since.

That and they don't vote, should find another country as far as I'm concerned.
They are like Amish in that they work and don't cause any trouble. It doesn't bother me that people who don't pay attention to politics don't vote. Could not care less if they pledge or salute. Some people aren't into chanting and group think.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by EdM

Huh?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Originally Posted by EdM

Huh?

They say it's cheaper to build the building without windows, or so I'm told.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by packrat77
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Originally Posted by EdM

Huh?

They say it's cheaper to build the building without windows, or so I'm told.

Now that I think about it, the church in my neighborhood doesn't have windows, but a big one downtown does.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Another great Christian outfit...always showing up to help at fires, floods, hurricanes etc. Snork.
That's what most people don't talk about, They are good people and i love how they teach their children to live an exemplary life and be respectful and kind. They may be off on their teaching about Christianity and the spirit things. But i love that they speak well, dress well and they study the bible, They are the only sect of Christians that take evangelism seriously.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,627
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.