Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Etoh
Lots of attention given here on hearing loss from shooting due to the nature of the website. Fact is 2-3 hours at your local bar/resturant at 90db to 100 db will do more damage than a couple of rifle shots at 120 db. --- but its socially acceptable. What about the greater numbers of folks with hearing loss that don't shoot? Was it the lack of Selenium and Iodine in the diet that caused the hair cells to die (lack of thyroid)?

Anyone ever tried Cryotherapy?

I agree the people who aren't old ie 50 years old or less that have noticeable hearing loss. one thing I have seen in common. they all listened to excessively loud music and were concert attenders on a regular basis. its not so much gun shots but time of exposure to the loud sound.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Guns and guitars, I've had tinnitus for probably 30 years now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Yank
My wife is an audiologist. She treats tinnitus all the time. Hearing aids, by far, is the best treatment. New hearing aids use different sound frequencies to try to "neutralize", for lack of a better word, the tone of your specific tinnitus. Its a process, but once its calibrated correctly, it works very well.

Hi Yank, is there a certain brand of hearing aids that you can recommend that will help?

Thanks ~

I work in the building with the FSU speech and hearing clinic, this is the brand we use https://www.resound.com/en-us/

My inlaws come to town from KS and we fitted them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Running airboats in the everglades in the 70s with no hearing protection, dad far right, me far left.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 03/19/24.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Interesting thread, I have had it since the 90's, neglected to wear hearing protection on the job around loud machinery, shooting without ear protection added to it, once I realized the damage I started using ear plugs to persevere what's left, testing once a year at work has me diagnosed as having profound hearing loss. Lots of ringing and hissing, at night sometimes I go to sleep hearing imaginary music playing. Besides the imaginary music and asking people to repeat what they say I don't really even think about it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I love my Tinnitus - I spent time and money shooting, and at rock concerts, to earn it.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Running airboats in the everglades in the 70s with no hearing protection, dad far right, me far left.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Most excellent photo!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by ARTY
Way to many charge 7 white bag for me. Basically deaf in both ears. Tinnitus is horrible raven with deafness.

Sorry, maybe I'm overlooking an obvious, but what is that?

155 mm gun charges

I googled that and got results in .000047 seconds.

Although I just had a hunch. 105 and 155 rattle out windows from 35 miles away almost nightly. Plus hellfire from apache gunships

These are the 2 passenger Apache gunships by the way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't see how soldiers lived through it with no hearing protection years ago. I seems like one shot would turn your brain to jelly and knock you out. I mean I've seen video of the things blowing up dirt in a 50 yard circle around it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I should have worn ear pugs many times

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Etoh
Lots of attention given here on hearing loss from shooting due to the nature of the website. Fact is 2-3 hours at your local bar/resturant at 90db to 100 db will do more damage than a couple of rifle shots at 120 db. --- but its socially acceptable. What about the greater numbers of folks with hearing loss that don't shoot? Was it the lack of Selenium and Iodine in the diet that caused the hair cells to die (lack of thyroid)?

Anyone ever tried Cryotherapy?

Mine is a combination of shooting, working in a mfg environment for 30 + years, mowing the lawn and even driving with the drivers window down. That wind noise is a bitch.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

cs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was born with white noise in my ears. Ever since I was a tiny kid (first memories) I remember laying in bed with a slight buzzing. My Dad was in the Marines and has constant ringing; he instilled in us that you MUST protect your hearing. I got the memo, can probably count on two hands how many times I’ve shot a handgun (.22’s included) without hearing protection. Always wore ear plugs dove hunting, shooting beer cans, at the range etc. I’ve never had an ahah moment like some of you talk about; gun going off too close to my head, tractor tire blowing out, nothing. Now I’m 47 and the ringing is out of hand with hearing loss becoming noticeable. Sometimes I hear a “digital” sound in my right ear, like what a computer sounded like in a 60’s sci-fi movie. WTH is that?? Recently went to an audiologist and had it confirmed, I’m on the road to hearing aids.

And I’m starting to see the part of hearing loss leading to dementia firsthand with my Dad. We finally had a come to Jesus with him about hearing aids and he’s starting to swallow his pride - poor old man can’t hear anything and is quickly withdrawing from life.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,477,994
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.