C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks man... That was fun...

Keeping the old Caveman on his toes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
How do you figure 2.24 as the short sides? If BC is 5 those short sides are 2.5.
Gotta eat lunch and test some loads.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by navlav8r
How do you figure 2.24 as the short sides? If BC is 5 those short sides are 2.5.
Gotta eat lunch and test some loads.

BC is not 5... that was the trap I missed.

AD is 10... thus making two hippopotami... from there that thar jus math stuff.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by navlav8r
The base of the large rectangle is 10 (a given).
The two sides of the rectangle are 6 (a given)
A line drawn from the highest point of both sides therefore bisects line BC so each half is 2.5. [No, does not follow, BC is unknown] That gives two congruent triangles with two known sides…2.5 and 5.
A right triangle with one aide = 2.5 and the hypotenuse is 5 defines a 30. 60 right triangle.
In a 30, 60 right triangle the longer side is 1.732 times as long as the shorter side.
1.732 X 2.5 = 4.33.

By definition , the hypotenuse is the side opposite the right angle. If the hypotenuse is 5 and one of the sides adjacent to the right angle is 2.5, the other side adjacent to the right angle is 1.732 times the short side (1.732 is the square root of 3).
So A (2.5) squared plus B (4.33)squared does indeed = C (5) squared or 25

As we both agree, point E is at the intersection of AD and BC. We also agree that we have a triangle of interest with three sides AE, BE, and AB. Pythagoras requires AB^2 + BE^2 = AE^2. Where we disagree is in the equation for BE. You state that it is AE/2 or half the hypotenuse. I state that it is BC/2 which is equal to AB/2. My equation becomes AB^2 + (AB/2)^2 = AE^2 which is solved above.

With your definition for BE, the Pythagorean equation to be solved is: AB^2 + (AE/2)^2 = AE^2 which reduces to AB^2 = 3/4 * AE^2, which reduces AB to sqrt(18.75), and finally your 4.33. But the problem with this solution is that the BC segment is too long, as CK now recognizes. Your BC segment is 5 and not equal to AB and CD. BE must be constrained to half of BC (which equals AB) and not half of the hypotenuse AE.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by CashisKing

If you thought that was fun, check this out...

Problem 3.

Pythagoras tells us that

AB^2 + BC^2 = AC^2

Now multiply both sides by π/72.

π/72 * AB^2 + π/72 * BC^2 = π/72 * AC^2

But isn't π/72 * AB^2 = 4 * π / 2 * (AB/12)^2 which is the area of four half circles with a radius 1/12 of AB. The very same area we need in our calculation.

Hmm, so the Pythagorean equation tells us that the four half circles along AB plus the four along BC equal the four along AC!

Last edited by Hoosier_Beagler; 03/19/24.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Cash is trying to save some money and get the 'Far to fill in the blanks on his plans for the WVa. estate.
Some of those questions look awful familiar.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
I think Cash is trying to save some money and get the 'Far to fill in the blanks on his plans for the WVa. estate.

LOL... Not really... Those takesoffs are easy peasy... even the roof on Papa Bear is simple math.

These problems come from a Fakebook Group of International geometry geeks... I typically only do the ones that require "No Math".

Cause all that Pythagoras stuff retards my hillybilly ways...

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler

If you thought that was fun, check this out...

Problem 3.

Pythagoras tells us that

AB^2 + BC^2 = AC^2

Now multiply both sides by π/72.

π/72 * AB^2 + π/72 * BC^2 = π/72 * AC^2

But isn't π/72 * AB^2 = 4 * π / 2 * (AB/12)^2 which is the area of four half circles with a radius 1/12 of AB. The very same area we need in our calculation.

Hmm, so the Pythagorean equation tells us that the four half circles along AB plus the four along BC equal the four along AC!

Exactly... I just did it without all that complicated math stuff.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

No kidding. When we did PersianDog's homework, he'd at least occasionally send out some virtual ammo.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Mr Hoosier...

Since ya like all that Pythagoras stuff...

Here is an easy one fo ya...

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
It's not very pretty. I solved with brute force mathematics. I solved for the (x,y) coordinate where the two right angles of the two triangles meet. There are two solutions: (5.79, 10.93) and (2.31, 13.61). The total area for the two shaded triangles are 131.29 and 80.09 corresponding to the two solutions respectively. Note that the former coordinate and area more closely matches the figure. If there is a more elegant solution, it has not occurred to me.

And now I must yield to you. Please, a respite! Thanks for the exercises.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Cipherin'!!!"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][i][/i]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
If there is a more elegant solution, it has not occurred to me.

Not really... ya still gotta do da math.

BTW... Pythagoras was an ascetic and a vegan.

I am more akin to Socrates and his asebian manner... and expect to meet a similar fate... like many of us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, I see it now. Take the red chord from lower left, and pivot it clockwise along its arc into the lower right quadrant at B.

Now take the top triangular-ish shape CD, and flip it on the AC line so now it is on the edge CB.

Now all the red area is in the right triangular 'quadrant' of a square divided diagonally into four.

But I confirmed the math first. smile

Last edited by grouseman; 03/20/24.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The light when on when figuring out area of the lower-left chord. Rotate it to the right and then subtract the area of a triangle from 1/2 the area of the half circle. That's when the imagery kicked in.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
If there is a more elegant solution, it has not occurred to me.

Not really... ya still gotta do da math.

BTW... Pythagoras was an ascetic and a vegan.

I am more akin to Socrates and his asebian manner... and expect to meet a similar fate... like many of us.

Yeah, while I slept the brain found this more elegant solution using two intersecting circles of known centers and radii. I did the math this morning and went from yesterday's page and a half spent resolving multivariate quadratic equations to a few lines of trig. Same answer. Thanks for your help training the brain.

Last edited by Hoosier_Beagler; 03/20/24.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,274
Posts18,486,646
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.