Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob
How does this sound? Just because you "can" walk on the mult-use path doesn't mean you "should." - that's a stretch when comparing bikes and people to bikes on roads built for high speed travel and vehicles weighing two tons or more. Most roads in the US were simply not designed for cyclist safety, they have been modified with extra shoulders and lines but it's not like Europe where they've been integrated in the planning.

I make every effort to get out of the way when a cyclist approaches but it's a wooded trail and often they come up fast and by the time you hear "on your left" you only have moments to collect yourself.

I don't think it's a stretch. When I walk on multi-use paths, I am sharing them with bicyclists going on average about 5 times faster than I walk. When I bicycle on roadways, I normally bicycle on roadways where motor vehicles are going less than 4 times as fast as me, most often closer to 2 time faster than me.

You have flighty values. Period.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by slumlord
Typical 81 yr old when “on your left” is yelled

“….huh!! Duhhh….where am I, why I am here….I’m no Jack Kennedy, I like ice cream, our La Salle ran great….

By then….. it’s

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A lot of micro processes have to occur in the oldster’s cob webbed synapses

I sure hope Slum is still here and posting in his eighties (and I'm here to see it).

Magic 8 Ball

Says….. chances are ZERO

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
LOL !

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
So deaf people can't use multi use paths?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

“….huh!! Duhhh….where am I, why I am here….I’m no Jack Kennedy, I like ice cream, our La Salle ran great….

By then….. it’s

You get taken out by Ralph Kramden?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
LOL !

That was a nice touch. I chuckled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

By then….. it’s

You get taken out by Ralph Kramden?

60s Batman

it just popped into my synapy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
double negative. And I did state the self responsibility and tonnage issue....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
How about don't run over people, no matter the vehicle.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
And of course we hold that value set wrt motorists who mow down cyclists, right?

Deflection ALLERT

This thread is about a selfish 62 YO bicyclist that killed a 81 YO woman pedestrian.

Retard alert. Another retard has chimed in.

Show me proof of the broad assertion that the OP wanted to limit the discussion to that. It's certainly not in the OP nor is it a norm in internet discussions to keep the conversation very narrowly focused. Given that you have flighty values, I can certainly see why my comment made you uncomfortable.

Photo below that you posted of yourself is a retard on full display. Paul digging in the nose.

And to think that you got spankfugked by that. Be proud!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RMiller2
How about don't run over people, no matter the vehicle.

No, that's completely unacceptable. It's only when bicyclists challenge the rule of gross tonnage that they deserve to get hit.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I despise the walk areas in parking lots. Please don't stop for me. You just slow me down. You keep driving. I will cross behind you when its safe.

Crosswalks too.. they think they own the road.

I will do everything I can to avoid hitting most anyone with most anything we own. I expect the same in return and common sense should apply.

On the water the rule of tonnage applies... why not on a road way. If you are little stay the hell out of the way. Its the way nature works too...

We rode bikes a lot. Went to an area with a big shoulder and always pulled over with traffic coming. Wouldn't ride a bike path on a bet personally. But those are usually in cities anyway. We walk a lot. Head on a swivel. Even out in the bush its head on a swivel. Its your life. You choose how dumb you want to be.

Should an 81 year old walk? Sure. But shouldn't they be alert enough to know bikes are coming, stay out of the way etc.... I know if I can't then I won't or at least I won't be blaming the others.

Now a hot rod blasting down the road mowing everything over in sight is the other extreme and thats wrong too. Hot rod defined many different ways.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Certainly 100% the cyclist fault.

If it was a cyclist/pedestrian on the road hit by a car, it would be the car's fault.

E-Bikes are motorized vehicles IMO, should be licensed and treated as such. Manufacturer's are just using a pedal loophole to get around the laws.

Bike/hiking paths usually state non-motorized trails, E-Bike's have a motor and should not be allowed.

I get a pretty good laugh when walking/hiking on these paths and all of these "bikes" go by. Amazingly the riders are not even pedaling. crazy

Main problem I have with cyclist is they seem to want the best of both worlds.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Barnard Approved

GOA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Should an 81 year old walk? Sure. But shouldn't they be alert enough to know bikes are coming, stay out of the way etc.... I know if I can't then I won't or at least I won't be blaming the others.

Let me know if you feel the same when you’re 81 and get tagged by a cyclist when you are on a multi-use path.

This one’s on the cyclopath.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Bicyclist blames Pedestrian...

Pedestrians are unpredictable and vulnerable,

So are cyclists.

Retired cat herder.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
E-Bikes have only made the situation worse. People who could never have achieved 25 mph on a bike (think LBP style) now fly up and down the multiuse trails with reckless abandon.
Got any pics of the riders??

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
E-Bikes have only made the situation worse. People who could never have achieved 25 mph on a bike (think LBP style) now fly up and down the multiuse trails with reckless abandon.
Got any pics of the riders??

This is before she switched to an E bike.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
This one is very easy for me. When I pass a pedestrian on my bicycle, and I have to do it within close proximity, I pass with minimum speed disparity. I never yell "ON YOUR LEFT." Many don't know what it means. It will confuse or startle some. I will say "I am easing around your left." I most often exchange cordialities as I pass.

LOTS of pedestrians have buds. Pedestrians in parks and on paths tend to have very low situational awareness. They are often in la-la land and in sightseeing mode. Armed with that knowledge, it is incumbent upon me to expect unpredictable behavior. The best mitigating measure for me is passing with minimal speed disparity and communicating when possible.

I have seen pedestrians do remarkably absent minded stuff. Headphones on, walking with the flow of bicycles on a 10 foot wide path, wheel around and do a 180 without so much as a glance over the shoulder. Pedestrians cutting across paths without looking. Pedestrians with dogs on leashes taking up the entire path. One day I watches as an apparently homeless guy was walking on the levee path batture at an angle toward the path. Across the path in the direction he was walking was a street. I suspected he was going to connect to that street. I also saw a guy and gal cyclist riding on the levee path from the pedestrians blind side at a speed that would have them arriving at the same place at the same time. My wife and I were riding behind them. I could see it developing. Had I been the other cyclists, I would have slowed. They didn't and the pedestrian walked right into the path without looking.

Pedestrians do stupid stuff. Cyclists do stupid stuff. Motorists do stupid stuff. Situational awareness and a defensive posture are helpful.

Pedestrians always have the right away when I ride on shared trails. You should always slow way down passing a pedestrianor go ride on the highways and deal with traffic

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting to hear our .22 ammo hoarding friend quoting the Golden Rule, guess he doesn't feel it applies to buying ammo he doesn't need. And then bragging about it as though it is something other than selfish greed, that he feels worthy of adulation.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/20/24.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,805
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.