Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PennDog
Looks like fun BSA - but I’ll have to shoot it after next weekend (yea I know it’ll be done by then but it’ll be fun anyway!!) as I’m in Tennessee delivering two custom Cricket rifles to my great nephew (6) and niece (4).

Also looks very difficult and great shooting!!

PennDog

Cool PennDog. I knew I could count on you. You have some sweet rifles. I'm sure you will do well. Good luck buddy.

If you send your pictures of target, rifle, and range to the link I provided, Mr. Revolver guy will post the score. It is fun, and definitely a challenge. The new leader really hammered those bullets into those small circles. My hat goes off to that guy!!!! He goes by the name Twenty Two. Seems fitting doesn't it? One thing I noticed about how he shoots, is he's pretty aggressive with that bolt on that B14 Bergara, while a lot of those other guys baby the bullet while loading it into the chamber. I realize that on these 22lr's, shaving lead can be a concern, when it comes to precision. Then you have others, like Eli, shooting the first shot from the mag into a sighter because they believe that one loaded by hand may produce a flier. I just load them in and shoot them. Like someone else said, it's all for fun anyway.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For those interested, this is a fun and challenging shoot. In the spirit of St. Pattys day, I figured I'd post this one up. I've been working with this new rifle a little bit. Got the bedding done, and it's shooting much more consistently now. Here's the rifle (CZ 457 American) in action:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Been shooting this one from a bipod lately.

I'm really liking this rifle. The action is buttery smooth, and it loads bullets into the chamber almost effortlessly. The trigger is pretty nice too. I think the more I shoot it, the more I like it.

I decided to go with some older Aguila that is labeled "Eley prime". I don't know if that makes any difference, but it seems to shoot well in this rifle. That is the main thing:
That 10 shot group was shot on the 9th, not yesterday, but shows what it can do with that ammo.

Here's the challenge target:
I am not going to submit this target to Eli, as my 10/22 target is much better. This is more or less to show how the new CZ is shooting.

There were definitely some misses there, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with the performance of the rifle. As I shoot it, I am reminded that it is a hunting rifle, and that is the type of accuracy I expect out of it. Both my new to me Winchester 52 sporter, and my new to me Winchester 320 sporter shoot better than this CZ, but the CZ is smoother and just as much fun to shoot. I really have no complaints with this new rifle. Going into it, I knew it would not shoot as well as my Savage MKII, but that is a heavy barrel target rifle. This CZ is well suited for what it was designed for: Varmint/vermin and small game hunting.

I don't know if any of you are intending to do this shoot, but Eli is accepting target pics until the last day of this month. Shoot it just for fun, or send your pictures in to the link I provided. Posts some pics here too!! There has been a lot of participation on Youtube, which is cool to see. Some of the better shooters there, came out and shot it. I kept hoping to see more 10/22's, but it appears it's a little harder than it looks. I ended up with a score of 79, with my Kidd barreled 10/22, after Eli judged the target. Good luck to those that are going to shoot this challenge!!! Like Cert said, some of those bastids are small!!! I thought this would be a fun one as well, because it's not at all like shooting for groups, or bullseye shooting. Sometimes moving from one small target to the next can be a little more challenging, as some of you already know. I was also hoping for a little more interest from guys that shoot USBR and the like. Bearcat, where are you? Not a call out, just some good clean fun...

Hopefully you guys at least ate some good corned beef and cabbage today. No green eggs and ham!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried the shoot today, I couldn't get above 35 points with the ammo I tried. Aquila Super Extra SV did the best, CCI SV was second, and Norma Match was totally abysmal. Biggest issue I had is my reticle completely covers the dot at 50 yds. I might throw one of my FFP scopes on it and see what I can do with a thinner reticle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I tried the shoot today, I couldn't get above 35 points with the ammo I tried. Aquila Super Extra SV did the best, CCI SV was second, and Norma Match was totally abysmal. Biggest issue I had is my reticle completely covers the dot at 50 yds. I might throw one of my FFP scopes on it and see what I can do with a thinner reticle.

Seems like a great idea. I watch those guys in YouTube, using those scope cams, and the reticles with the little dot in the center looks like it would be way better than what I use too!!! I tried my new Winchester model 320 a couple days ago, and didn’t do well at all with the 3-9x40 scope, that it wears. The AR scopes that I use aren’t as bad because of the higher magnification. Those dang Arkens are looking better, every time I see one!!

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm running a .1 Mil scope, and tried to adjust it so that if I put the green dot in the upper right corner of the Mil-Dot reticle it would work. Probably if I had a 1/8 Moa scope with a target dot it would work better. However, those green dots are tiny.

The Leupold diamond reticle looks interesting for this contest.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm running a .1 Mil scope, and tried to adjust it so that if I put the green dot in the upper right corner of the Mil-Dot reticle it would work. Probably if I had a 1/8 Moa scope with a target dot it would work better. However, those green dots are tiny.

The Leupold diamond reticle looks interesting for this contest.
Taylorce1, what kind of rifle were you using? I’m surprised no one else here has posted a target. Glad to hear you got out and gave it a try. I scored on some more old Federal Gold Medal Match ammo (2 bricks), some Lapua Master and Multi Match, old SK Standard plus, and some SK High velocity match, that I will be trying out. The weather is starting to get better, more guys should get out and shoot this. It’s a fun one.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
BSA… I know this is going to be a big letdown but here it is…

A few of us had went up for a weekend of relaxing and shooting and I brought several of the targets along to play with.

I never ended up shooting the challenge with my KIDD and only shot it twice with the vudoo. Once with SK rifle match which did not go well and I don’t even remember the score.

I then shot some fouler rounds with Midas + and proceeded to shoot a 75. I was actually frustrated with that as I was hoping for better but man some of those shots just had a mind of their own… or maybe it was just those targets are damn small!

Anyway the kicker is I pulled my target and set it on my bench for the evening to retire to the fire with a whisky. The next morning a buddy had got up early and cleaned up all the boxes and paper under the benches and tossed it all on the coals to burn…

Odd as I had set my target under my shooting bags but he was in clean up mode I guess.. I didn’t want to give him too hard of a time about it

Crappy excise for no pics and I know we all like pics but there it is

I will admit that was a TOUGH shoot and I would still like to shoot it again when time permits

I’ll hang a vudoo pic but I mounted an Arken 6x24 which has a small dot center reticle. Lot of fuss about those scopes so I grabbed one while Doug had a good sale on them. Big heavy and ugly but it did perform well!

I didn’t take many pics at all but here was the disappointing clean up pic from Sunday morning
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
BSA… I know this is going to be a big letdown but here it is…

A few of us had went up for a weekend of relaxing and shooting and I brought several of the targets along to play with.

I never ended up shooting the challenge with my KIDD and only shot it twice with the vudoo. Once with SK rifle match which did not go well and I don’t even remember the score.

I then shot some fouler rounds with Midas + and proceeded to shoot a 75. I was actually frustrated with that as I was hoping for better but man some of those shots just had a mind of their own… or maybe it was just those targets are damn small!

Anyway the kicker is I pulled my target and set it on my bench for the evening to retire to the fire with a whisky. The next morning a buddy had got up early and cleaned up all the boxes and paper under the benches and tossed it all on the coals to burn…

Odd as I had set my target under my shooting bags but he was in clean up mode I guess.. I didn’t want to give him too hard of a time about it

Crappy excise for no pics and I know we all like pics but there it is

I will admit that was a TOUGH shoot and I would still like to shoot it again when time permits

I’ll hang a vudoo pic but I mounted an Arken 6x24 which has a small dot center reticle. Lot of fuss about those scopes so I grabbed one while Doug had a good sale on them. Big heavy and ugly but it did perform well!

I didn’t take many pics at all but here was the disappointing clean up pic from Sunday morning
I appreciate the effort man. I’ve been eyeballing the Arken scopes too. That really small dot in the center of the reticle looks like just the ticket. A 75 really isn’t bad, for what it is. As you know, everything has to be dialed in pretty good for those targets. Excellent ammo, optics and rifle, and in my case, luck. Ha ha. I’ll shoot it again, since I stumbled into some more great ammo. I’m pretty excited that I found more FGMM!! The old stuff too, like what I had. I’ll shoot in some winds, as that doesn’t bother me much, but anything more than about 10mph, and you might as well hang it up for the day. If you shoot this again, let me know. Thanks!!

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Unfortunately my targets were also in the stack. I shot one with the KIDD, and one with the vudoo. Vudoo was better, but the wind was brutal. Here’s the only relevant picture I took.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Here’s the vudoo I shot with…this one has a bartlein barrel and sits in a foundation stock. I mounted an Arken 6x24.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Certifiable; 03/20/24.

She's gone shootin..
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sweet rifles guys. Thanks for sharing. Too bad your targets ended up in the fire. I know how that kind of stuff goes though. I'll bet you guys had a great weekend though. I'm just returning from Cali (Plumas county) today. I hit up a couple of my favorite spots, in search of some ammo, and this is what I was talking about earlier:

Look at all that old ammo!!! ha ha. I've never shot the Master or Multi Match before. That old SK is the standard plus too, in the old packaging. That Federal Gold Medal Match is still in the plastic, just like the other brick I found about 7 months ago:
Scored big time on that schidt, because I know how it shoots!!!!

Here are some rifles that were hanging on the rack, at the gunshop you guys know about too:

I'm glad you guys shot the challenge though!! I may try some of my new ammo out tomorrow.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
@bsa1917hunter,

I shot it with a Bergara BMR, you commented on a post I did in the Rimfire Scope topic. You asked me to try it, so I did. The results were about as I expected with the ammunition I have. I was hoping it liked the Norma match, but it didn't.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Taylor..I am a HUGE fan of the Norma tac and tac match. Back a while it was relatively obscure and you could find very good deals on both varieties.

Midway threw tac match on sale for 400/5000 some time ago and it was a no brainer to murder the credit card

Unfortunately my vudoos do not care for it but the Annie’s seem to and so do enough other rimfires to make it worthwhile

Too bad there seem to be no more sales/deals on those brands anymore

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
@bsa1917hunter,

I shot it with a Bergara BMR, you commented on a post I did in the Rimfire Scope topic. You asked me to try it, so I did. The results were about as I expected with the ammunition I have. I was hoping it liked the Norma match, but it didn't.

Ah, ok. That is right. Man those Bergara's are performing well!! As you have said, it really boils down to a good scope, and the right ammo. I don't consider my scopes to be the "best", as they are far from it. They are basically discontinued AR scopes. I run the AR 556 4.5-14x42 and AR 7.62 4.5-14x42. They are second focal plane scopes, which I prefer for all types of shooting and hunting. The reticle is great for most types of shooting, but with this little dot target, it is like your scopes. The reticle is too thick for a 1/4" dot. The clarity is fine, but it's hard to pin point the hold. I like the idea of that Arken, that was mentioned, with the small center dot. Something with some good magnification too. Man, if you find the right ammo and scope, I'll bet you will do well. Certifiable has told me that he thinks I should buy a Vudoo, but those B14's are also doing quite well in this challenge. I also understand that finding the right ammo is a PITA too. Wondering if anyone with a Tikka T1x would shoot this challenge? I don't see any listed on the leader board at the Day at the range site.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Taylor..I am a HUGE fan of the Norma tac and tac match. Back a while it was relatively obscure and you could find very good deals on both varieties.

Midway threw tac match on sale for 400/5000 some time ago and it was a no brainer to murder the credit card

Unfortunately my vudoos do not care for it but the Annie’s seem to and so do enough other rimfires to make it worthwhile

Too bad there seem to be no more sales/deals on those brands anymore

On the TAC 22. I got a horrible lot of it last year. That stuff shoots like crap in all of my rifles. When it's cold outside, it's even worse. I can see it in flight, and it's arcing to the target. Also, any ammo that shoots "fliers", is not going to work in this shoot. Some of the Wolf match Extra ammo I have is like that too. It will shoot fliers on a random basis, in all of my rifles. That's alright for practice, but not when it counts. As a lot of you guys know already.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bsa that’s what I was experiencing with my lot of SK rifle match last weekend. It was lights out for 6-7-8 shots, just laying them in there. Then all the sudden it was WTF!?!? I KNOW I had that held steady but [bleep] me

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
That multi match Lapua is cool stuff man I’ve never seen it before.

Hopefully it works some magic for you👍🏼

I’ve got a small bit of that master L and it seems to shoot great.

I almost hate having small lots of obscure ammo like that tho because it will dazzle in a rifle but you know you’re never going to have it again!

She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bsa that’s what I was experiencing with my lot of SK rifle match last weekend. It was lights out for 6-7-8 shots, just laying them in there. Then all the sudden it was WTF!?!? I KNOW I had that held steady but [bleep] me

I hear that. That kind of stuff pizzes me off!!! You know when you are holding steady, you know it wasn't the wind, and you know your rifle is a tack driver with other ammo, and then it puts one in left field. That's why I do a lot of ammo testing. I had a bad lot of SK standard plus about 3 years ago. Luckily I didn't buy a bunch of it. The funny thing was some of the other lots, where so damn accurate and dependable. If you cull those lot's, you'll see it wasn't you.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That multi match Lapua is cool stuff man I’ve never seen it before.

Hopefully it works some magic for you👍🏼

I’ve got a small bit of that master L and it seems to shoot great.

I almost hate having small lots of obscure ammo like that tho because it will dazzle in a rifle but you know you’re never going to have it again!

LOL!!!! I know. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Yeah, that Master is strange too, because in my research, I saw the "L", and the "M". The "L" being a slightly larger diameter stuff, and the "M" is the slightly under diameter. The Master stuff I found doesn't say what it is, so I'm thinking it's older??? It was cool to find these. They are all wrapped in plastic, cellophane from the factory (I believe). I kind of hate to shoot it. It will probably end up being like that damn SK Match Gold I had a while back.

You remember that stuff^^^ The lube was all dried up, but it still shot lights out.

Another one that shot damn good was the Eley club Xtra:
10 shot group^^, shot at 50 yards with my iron sight Savage MK2 FVT!!! Damn I already miss that one, and that ammo.. ha ha.

And that ammo with the 10/22 clone:

Sometimes I wonder if the older rimfire ammo is better!!! One thing I do know is I don't want to pay $25-$30.00/box of 50 for a box of 22lr ammo.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright, the weather is not really cooperating, but at least it was not snowing and hailing and raining today!!!

I felt the need to take my new to me Winchester model 52 sporter out and shoot this challenge. I was surprised, but I had to use my Federal Gold Medal Match 900B ammo that I bought last week. That's about the best ammo I have right now. This lot was made in 1995, so I think it's actually older than this 52 repro:
The wind was gusting pretty good, the whole time I was there, but thankfully no rain and sleet!!! It started hailing after I left, so it was great timing to leave the range.

Final target and score:

This is one of my new to me rifles. I'm pretty happy with how it's shooting. I was trying to get a higher score than I did with my new CZ, and luckily it put them in there.

This thread is not meant to be a call out of any kind, it is only meant to be a fun way to get out and practice. See how our rifles do, and post up a target if you want.

As of right now, I think I've shot 4 different rifles on this target/challenge. I don't believe I posted my new to me Winchester 320 target, as that one was horrible. Although, that one is not equipped with a good scope for this challenge. I was seriously thinking about going to the LGS and buying a set of high rings for it, so I could throw a higher powered scope on it. But I know since it's only a sporter, it's not really going to do much better than the CZ and Winchester 52 sporter. So with that being said, i think I will draw the line and keep the little 3-9x40 on the Win 320...

This 52 sporter shoots Federal Automatch like this:

But you don't want to see the challenge target. It was pretty pathetic.. Proof that shooting groups is much easier than shooting at multiple small targets.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,038
Posts18,482,003
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.