Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
What are your impressions of living in the valley (Palmer/Wasilla area). Good, bad, indifferent?
Are there areas that are better or worse?
If we move back, thinking of taking up residence there due to the size of the house lots and the fact homes cost less. Wife and I are both retired so not concerned with the commute to Anchorage.
Please give me the good and the bad.
Thank you

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The criminals in Anchorage patrol the valley. Don't buy a property hidden in the trees. No costco in the valley I think.
If you don't mind real Alaskan weather, try Fairbanks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wasilla is like Katy is to Houston in many ways to me. But its way better than anchorage.

Retired. not sure I'd want to be in the valley at all. We are closer to Fairbanks with our retirement setup. Fairbanks has a Costco... and enough of other to be good enough as a city goes. And not much more.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Been here for the better part of 50 years. It has changed over the decades (more people!!!), but so has the rest of Alaska. Lots of cultural refugees moving here from Anchorage, including former Anchorage Assembly conservatives. It has been a great home.

I've lived both sides of the Valley: Wasilla, decades ago, then Palmer for the past 34 years ........actually between the two, but on the Palmer side of the "border" (Trunk Road). This is the place to be, or even closer to the Palmer side. There's currently lots of new, big homes popping up nearby between the Parks Hwy, Fairview Loop, and the Palmer Hay Flats. The bigger lots can be a bit pricey there, but it's an excellent location, lots of great views, and excellent access to Wasilla, Palmer, and Anchorage. The hospital has attracted much of the new medical growth in the area. The college is nearby, and the Valley "greenbelt" is here (huge area of government lands between Trunk Road, P/W Hwy, and Glenn Hwy). That's all owned by the college, borough, Experimental Farm, and state, and it will remain undeveloped for decades, or longer. There's already a state recreation area, and there's now a public trail network used by cyclists, equestrians, xc skiers, & hikers.

The east side of Palmer (Butte area) doesn't get much winter sun due to the Chugach Mountains. North of Palmer (Farm Loop, Soapstone, Wishbone, Palmer Fishhook, Hatcher Pass gateway) is real nice. More larger lots are available.

If you go more toward the Wasilla side, I'd keep going to the Big Lake area. Wasilla is a pretty busy place.

NRA Life Endowment Member
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
Wasilla is like Katy is to Houston in many ways to me.
I’m not sure that Alaskans know what that means!

If I was moving here, I’d definitely be going to the valley.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Too cold in Bareflanks for Snowwolfe
Grins

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
I do, and I have to say.... [bleep] Texas. Just kidding, kind of but [bleep] Houston for real.

Anyway... There's lots of great in both Palmer and Wasilla. Lots of bad too. And they are frequency not far apart from each other.

I like a lot about the meadow lakes to big lake area, and would look closely at that if I were retired. Also up to Willow and further on the Parks. Nice places to be found.

I also like a lot about Palmer. Lots to do and cool views of the Chugach. What I don't like is the wind. It's downright ridiculous at times and the last couple winters there were times you didn't even want to drive through due to wind. Something to keep in mind when you look at places.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I spent 33 years in Anchorage, when I came back, checked out the valley. Glad we did. We live in Palmer but could live in some parts of Wasilla. I think the real estate prices are better in the valley. Very impressed with the medical facilities here. Just had a Reverse complete shoulder replacement and it went very well. I stayed over night in the hospital, and the folks were younger but very willing to help. For the most part the valley has everything I need.

Down side, the choices for eating out are meager, and no Costco. I only go to Costco every month or two anyway so don’t mind going into town.

Fuel is cheaper here than town. Not sure why, but I only gas up here. I talk to people who haven’t been to town in months and don’t miss it. Glad we made the choice.
I have rentals for income and vastly prefer local people.

I had a good real estate agent if you need a contact.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No natural gas after you cross the little su. So if buy Houston North you be heating with electric and wood stove. Meadows lake good neighborhoods and some real bad ones. There is an area in Wasilla itself williwaw and the city of wasilla will not annex into the city limits because the crime rate is off the charts in that area. The state troopers are always in that neighborhood/subdivision they would love to see wasilla annex it. Wasilla doesn’t want anything to do with because wasilla version of Mayberry police department would be there all the time. Big lake be careful lot of riff raff out there as well, to me nothing really appealing about big lake for me. I take the valley over anchorage no question asked. The valley for now is the conservative stronghold of Alaska. No way in hell I live in squarebanks as you know it’s a weird town, with weird people with a liberal streak.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
........Fuel is cheaper here than town. Not sure why...........

The Anchorage Assembly passed a $0.10 per gallon gas tax five years ago. It just went up to $0.12 per gallon. If you get the fuel card at Three Bears, you can get an additional $0.10 per gallon savings out in the Valley. Over time, those facts make a huge difference.

Another thing to consider: A 30 minute drive east of Palmer, and across the Chickaloon River, and you're in federal subsistence territory. No natural gas out there, and not a lot of real estate pickings, but if you can find a lot for sale out there, my bet is that you'll be caribou hunting while the rest of us are shut down for the next dozen years or so.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I really appreciate everyone’s input. You guys have all given me information that is helpful. We have no plans of going as far north as Big Lake.
Fairbanks? No fricking way, lol. I lived there for almost 4 years back in the 70’s. Call me a wussy but wife and I never want to experience that kind of weather again.
Keep the advice coming. If our place here sells I’ll be 71 and moving back! I blame my son and his family as they moved back to Anchorage with our only grandchild.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
As far as property values go, I been checking out the listings on the Alaska MLS and there is no doubt the valley is less expensive. Plus I want a place where we can park future toys such as trailers, boat, etc. And that is pretty hard to find in Anchorage.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

You don't want to know what that means... lol. I"d be moving to the valley for sure, if my other choice was closer to anchorage. The folks we bought our place from in Delta I think had the right idea. Get further away than the valley. And close enough to Fairbanks and call it done. But they were retiring.

OP. Not going as far as big lake. While I don't get that, its by all means your choice. Friends live in the Trunk RD area and I stay there a lot. Its getting big. Used to be rural type and nice. I think I might opt for looking hard at the far side of Palmer and or up towards Hatcher too. Having been through there a lot it would make me happier than Trunk road and at least off the parks highway area anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cwh2
I do, and I have to say.... [bleep] Texas. Just kidding, kind of but [bleep] Houston for real.

Anyway... There's lots of great in both Palmer and Wasilla. Lots of bad too. And they are frequency not far apart from each other.

I like a lot about the meadow lakes to big lake area, and would look closely at that if I were retired. Also up to Willow and further on the Parks. Nice places to be found.

I also like a lot about Palmer. Lots to do and cool views of the Chugach. What I don't like is the wind. It's downright ridiculous at times and the last couple winters there were times you didn't even want to drive through due to wind. Something to keep in mind when you look at places.
Texas is fine but its turning liberal. Just too hot for me in summers. Almost in winters too.
I was damned to be born in Houston and lived there for 14 years until we could get out to the farm. Never stayed in Houston in the summers.. ugh. That is a horrible place. Wouldn't wish that or Dallas on anyone. Or Austin. We are kind of pinned between Austin and Houston.. but still rural at this point, though I wish we had 1000 acres instead of 100. Is what it is and I digress.

No gas would not be an issue as we don't and we have fuel oil and Toyo stoves in Delta and no issues. BUT we all have different "comfort" levels so to speak. I hated it when they paved part of our road south of Delta some years back. Prefer it to stay gravel and less people.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I know Anchorage residents can order most furniture on Costcos web site and have it delivered to their homes.
Does the same apply to Palmer and Wasilla?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Drive through country. smile

We fuel at Wasilla 3-Bears and maybe grab a bite on our way to FBKS or back. That's it.

Last edited by las; 03/21/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Traffic getting through Wasilla is always bad, if you want to spend time on the Kenai Pen. its a lot farther away, if you could find a large lot in Birchwood or Eagle River that would be ideal in my opinion love the no traffic ease to get around in Eagle River hate suburbs, wish my lot size was bigger. Need a shop for my boats!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Valley resident? I thought it was referred to as Valley trash. grin laugh grin

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I know Anchorage residents can order most furniture on Costcos web site and have it delivered to their homes.
Does the same apply to Palmer and Wasilla?

Yup, at least disassembled items. My wife does it regularly, and I have a bed headboard downstairs to assemble as I type. I use Carlile MyConnect to freught forward everything that won't ship here, including ammo.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You don't want to know what that means... lol. I"d be moving to the valley for sure, if my other choice was closer to anchorage. The folks we bought our place from in Delta I think had the right idea. Get further away than the valley. And close enough to Fairbanks and call it done. But they were retiring.

OP. Not going as far as big lake. While I don't get that, its by all means your choice. Friends live in the Trunk RD area and I stay there a lot. Its getting big. Used to be rural type and nice. I think I might opt for looking hard at the far side of Palmer and or up towards Hatcher too. Having been through there a lot it would make me happier than Trunk road and at least off the parks highway area anyway.

If you like windstorms then Hatcher pass and Palmer are great choices.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (Akhutr, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.