J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Song of the South.
It’s every summer

Regular cicadas and katydids, I personally enjoy the sounds of summer.

We get crickets, night hawks, and frogs.

I like the sounds too.

I am MAGA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Song of the South.
It’s every summer

I like the sounds too.
I’ve made a giant set of copper pipe windchimes, enjoy hearing them too. Some of my pipes are 3ft long.
The wind cutting thru the trees and rain pinging my metal roofing is good noise. Especially for sleeping on a slow afternoon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Who tha fuqk predicted it 221 yrs ago
Wait for it........................

still waiting???

We all know who..................

Q........!!!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Song of the South.
It’s every summer

I like the sounds too.
I’ve made a giant set of copper pipe windchimes, enjoy hearing them too. Some of my pipes are 3ft long.
The wind cutting thru the trees and rain pinging my metal roofing is good noise. Especially for sleeping on a slow afternoon.

Lady where we stayed this weekend had a nice set, sounded great in the breeze. Thought to myself I should hit a scrap yard or maybe some new construction.

Jim, frogs are starting up good here. Still a mite chilly for crickets in the evenings. Nighthawks probably at least a month away still?

But, the snipe are here! Weird sounding birds.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Sounds sort of like tinnitus.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Robins right before dawn is my favorite sound.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It takes 17 years to run a life cycle, that does not mean you only get cicadas every
17 years. Just that brood.

There are a lot of broods.

Good chance you can find them every year, just not as many as the big brood hatches.
The time varies by the brood. Some are annual, some, like this one, is 17 years. This year, the 17 year brood coincides with a 13 year brood. These 2 broods haven't emerged in the same year since Jefferson was president. For the most part, the broods' ranges don't overlap so we won't be getting a double dose except in a few small areas. Those areas are going to get noisy, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
During the summer, the night sounds of insects and tree frogs along our coastline are amazing. It is part of what makes our coast so special, IMHO.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Robins right before dawn is my favorite sound.
I seem to have different "favorites" depending on the time of year. I love hearing the sandhills when they arrive. The snipe are cool too. There's a couple of little waterways and seems every season there's a pair or two of willets that nest in the sagebrush near our seasonal creeks.

Right now I get serenaded by the meadowlarks every morning, along with the regular noise from the jays I feed.

Always look forward to the booming dives of the nighthawks.

Used to have some great horned owls around, not many rabbits or squirrels left, someone mentioned a disease. Somewhere I might have a picture of one of the owls sitting on our fence waiting to get to the dog pool for a drink or a bath. Wife was up early one morning and caught one taking a bath. I miss their hooting. Had a skunk in the driveway the other night and I could use a nice big owl around to remove every last one of them from around the place.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Geno, we just had a robin show up yesterday.

First one.

Meadowlarks are generally 10 to 14 days behind.

There aren't as many sounds as when I was a kid....and not just because of my hearing loss and terrible tinnitus.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
During the summer, the night sounds of insects and tree frogs along our coastline are amazing. It is part of what makes our coast so special, IMHO.
Outside on a summer night the crickets, etc are very loud...when I'm wearing my hearing aids. When I'm not, they're all out of my hearing range and it's dead silent.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno, we just had a robin show up yesterday.

First one.

Meadowlarks are generally 10 to 14 days behind.

There aren't as many sounds as when I was a kid....and not just because of my hearing loss and terrible tinnitus.

Maybe it was the paraquat used where they migrate to??? eek

We're lucky enough to have good crops of juniper berries every couple of years. Robins will overwinter sometimes. Maybe some of our are headed your way, we had thousands in the area, now only a few (likely residents). They head up into the higher country as it starts to warm up.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love to listen to the Katydids. Cicadas, not so much. It does have a tone very similar to tinnitus!
You can hear them even with earplugs in during the 17 year cycle.
Outside of the 17 year brood, I have only ever seen very few. Maybe I’m not looking very hard.
During 21 I was in Wells Valley, and they were all over the place on Sidling Hill, but in the valley itself I didn’t see as many as I did in Pleasantville over in Bedford County.
Could be less forest, more farm land in Fulton County.
Mom had passed on Thanksgiving in 03. We held the funeral the first day of deer season. So in mid May, Dave and I and Dad were putting up a Tombstone and fixing up the cemetery plot for Mom.
Dave’s kids and Ben musta caught several hundred, looking for the mythical “blue eyed” bug.
Since they had so many Dave and I took the kid’s fishing that evening.
Now some people love to fish. Me? I like to sit by the water, talk, and drink some beer!😀
We we’re catching so many fish that night that my beer was actually getting warm until I could finish it! Dave and I were constantly taking fish off, because the kids, all between 10 and 14, were afraid of getting stung by catfish.😭
I finally quit baiting my hook so I could finish a beer while it was still cold.😀
Reon

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 03/20/24.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We went to Great Lakes when son completed basic. They were out then. You could hear the buzz driving down the freeway

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive always heard copperheads love them some cicadas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Favorite sound has to be Spring Peepers.
I’ve never understood how a cold blooded critter is out singing in February or March. At night.

Rarely hear them anymore or it would be Whippoorwills.
When I hear one,
It’s summer in the late 70s,
Pap and I are sitting on the canvas covered glider on his porch, he is lighting a Pall Mall with a Zippo.
Occasionally whistling back to the bird.
He passed 1979.

Today I can smell that first puff mixed with Zippo fluid.
Misty eyed, must be allergic to the smoke.😏

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Every seventeen generations for the 13 year cicada and every thirteen generations for the 17 year they emerge at the same time.

Will they crossbreed? A complicated question…..

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/19cvph1/will_the_13_and_17year_cicadas_crossbreed_this/

…but you can bet entomologists will be out there looking.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Up in NY State the katydids in the trees hang on well into the fall, by November there’s just a few left dropping out one by one, low and scratchy in the cooler nights. Finally a hard frost comes in and takes what’s left out.

Someone mentioned spring peepers. A favorite of mine too. The last time I’ve heard them was on White Mt NH in June, high/cold enough up they were still peeping, maybe 2003.

If I were a richer man retired I would travel up to the NE in March just to hear them again.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We get some every year. In this region the big hatch occurs every 17 years: 1953, 1970, 1987, 2004, 2021 in my lifetime. I was still working in 2004, and some of the locations I covered on the night shift were in suburban Northern Virginia where there are a lot of mature trees. There seemed to be billions at each place. One of our buildings had the entire back wall covered with them, attracted by the bright lighting. Out in front of another location on the Arlington County/Alexandria line, Route 7 was slippery with crushed ones.

While turkey hunting in 21, I saw deer scarfing them up in a meadow. Just about everything eats ‘em. Every so often a bird will fly by with one in its beak. Those REALLY make a racket!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was reading this article and found this interesting. They can screw up the acorn production cycle on oak trees.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-double-brood-of-periodical-cicadas-will-emerge-in-2024/

And female cicadas also damage trees directly by slicing into twigs to lay their eggs. Although these two types of damage rarely kill trees, the effect is enough to reset the clocks of trees such as oaks, which typically undergo “mast years” in which they produce large batches of acorns every few years in synchrony. After accumulating damage during a cicada emergence, these trees produce lean harvests for two autumns in a row and then a feastlike burst of nuts two-and-a-half years after a cicada emergence, Lill says.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (280shooter, 2UP, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 13 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,996
Posts18,481,160
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.