-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can roll the dice some more and buy one of the nutted prefit bubble packed barrels...... crazy

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by Dinny
Rebore and rechamber it to 338 Fed or 358 Win. $300 and a prayer or two might fix it.

The problem will ne that the case head through the first .5" might be useful....but moving to the chamber from there it's going to be a bunch of single point work to get square.....assuming you have enough meat, an Ackley case might clean up.....but now you're trying to catch a feel 3" deep or trust a rod...

I'd just shoot it as is or have it as some pillar material.

I appreciate your suggestion Al but for now since it will do 2" at 100 I will just work with it. If at some point in the future I win the lotto or have way too much money just laying around it can stay like it is. Although the .358 suggestion has some real merit to it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What does your fired brass look like? Does it have the characteristic Remington bulge on one side just above the case head? Just curious.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
What does your fired brass look like? Does it have the characteristic Remington bulge on one side just above the case head? Just curious.
I have to tell you ruffcut, I haven't looked. I will find some I recently shot but have not yet resized and get back with you.

kwg

Hello ruffcut
I just checked some once fired brass I kept back from a January hog hunt. I do see a bulge but as I measure it, it's only about 2 or 3 thousands of an inch taller than the surrounding brass. It left more of a scuff than a bulge.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 03/20/24.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I’ve had a couple R700’s where a bulge was quite noticeable. I assumed it was that the chamber wasn’t square with the bore but the case head was supported by the bolt which the lugs kept the bolt in line with the bore.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had a couple R700’s where a bulge was quite noticeable. I assumed it was that the chamber wasn’t square with the bore but the case head was supported by the bolt which the lugs kept the bolt in line with the bore.

As you can see from my pictures the lands are uneven. Since that is in the throat and not at the bolt end of the rifle I don't see how that would create a bulge at the bolt end; but, a guy never knows. It's my guess that the bolt end of the chamber is a bit oblong or not a perfect circle in some manner. It is a Walmart rifle so I suspect they did not get the best rifles. IN some manner they were seconds and not firsts.

Thanks for the heads up. I will watch for the "bulge" should I ever get another Remington. If I could ever find a logical reason, I would get a .270. I just can't justify it since there is nothing in Iowa I can use it for except coyotes.

kwg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few T/C barrels had crooked chambers, Mike Bellm used to take an example to gun shows. He thought T/C chambered using a drill press, he uses a lathe for his chambering.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The buldge isn't because the chamber is at an angle to the chamber per say. It is because the reamer was not on center when it plunged and therefore cut more on one side which make the chamber oversized on the head end.

308 to 358 would be dependent upon how the bore squared up after the rebore and how oversized the chamber is now.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
The buldge isn't because the chamber is at an angle to the chamber per say. It is because the reamer was not on center when it plunged and therefore cut more on one side which make the chamber oversized on the head end.

308 to 358 would be dependent upon how the bore squared up after the rebore and how oversized the chamber is now.

I see no real fix without shortening the barrel at the chamber end and recutting a new chamber. Maybe someday when there is more money laying around I would consider that. At 2" at 100 yards I can live with it as long as I'm not using it for shooting at prairie dogs with light bullets it will have to do for now. I see where Walmart can sell these rifles so much cheaper than everyone else. It appears they get 2nd's or maybe even 3rd's with barrels that are less than perfect.

Hopefully the new Remington is a bit more careful with their finished product than the old Remington.

kwg

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The bulge is because the brass is on the small side (almost always) and the unfired shell is pushed to one side by the extractor. In addition the brass may be thicker on one side so expansion takes place opposite. GD

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

If only that were true that the bolt lugs line things up.....actually the sear holds the back of the bolt up and misaligns the whole mess. Couple that with a slightly oversized chamber and you get the "Remington bulge". If you really want to prove this, next time you chamber a rifle put the bolt in a lathe and dial it up. Cut the back of the lugs {light skim cut} and then lightly lap them........
I don't know how you cut a crooked chamber, but I sure see a lot of Remington 700's and Seven's come into my shop with this issue. They will give you a new barrel if you send it to a repair center. It was suggested to me some time ago that they are cutting chambers with a CNC boring bar, ut I still don't see how you could get it crooked. I have purposely tried on a cut off junk barrel and I cannot get the rifling to look like many Remington's. M

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.