Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Valley resident? I thought it was referred to as Valley trash. grin laugh grin

We are proud valley trash. Great thing about living outside city limits state troopers only enforce state law. Not city or Burrough ordinances. When anchorage was shut down for Covid wasilla was still open, when anchorage assembly mandated you must wear a mask in the stores/public places. Matsu burrough did no such thing. We are a class 2 burrough the Burrough assembly has no authority to shut down anything or mandate. We enjoy a lot of freedoms out here in the valley.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to ride the roadside trails, then Wasilla is your choice, Palmer doesn't allow it. But if you hate hearing ATV's and Snowmachines buzzing around all the time, then Palmer may be more your choice.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm always comparing the weather between Anchorage, Wasilla, and Palmer. Most of the time the winds are within 2 mph for all 3 places. When does Palmer get the bad winds?

What is a ball park figure for having a 12x24 shed built on site in the Valley? Heat not needed but minor electricity for a few lights.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You live in a nice Burro pard smirk

Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Valley resident? I thought it was referred to as Valley trash. grin laugh grin

We are proud valley trash. Great thing about living outside city limits state troopers only enforce state law. Not city or Burrough ordinances. When anchorage was shut down for Covid wasilla was still open, when anchorage assembly mandated you must wear a mask in the stores/public places. Matsu burrough did no such thing. We are a class 2 burrough the Burrough assembly has no authority to shut down anything or mandate. We enjoy a lot of freedoms out here in the valley.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Lots of talk about windstorms. We had some pretty good winds this winter. Going by the weather people, we had gusts of up to 55 mph. When I lived in Anchorage off Muldoon, wind gusts were twice that.

Snow loads affected several roofs in Anchorage.
The wind blew our snow off the roof.

Pro/Con. Which is more important to you.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I'm always comparing the weather between Anchorage, Wasilla, and Palmer. Most of the time the winds are within 2 mph for all 3 places. When does Palmer get the bad winds?

What is a ball park figure for having a 12x24 shed built on site in the Valley? Heat not needed but minor electricity for a few lights.

January-February we get some doozies granted some last 2-3 days others last for a week at times. September-October we get windstorms as well they don’t seem to be as bad as the ones in the winter. If I were looking I find a place out on Fairview loop. Another area is off church and seldon. When you get to seldon hang a left you head towards meadows lake. You will see nice house nice house nice house then wtf trash dump for a place. Hang a right on seldon going towards bogard, wasilla fishhook rd a lot of nice homes and big lots. That’s another area to look at is wasilla fishhook rd a lot of nice homes and big lots. wasilla fishhook road sucks but supposedly the state is going to start fixing it soon.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Mat/Su Valley sucks, go to Fairbanks

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

https://alaskapublic.org/2022/01/05/12-photos-of-the-devastation-from-mat-sus-powerful-windstorm/

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Figure you'd get quotes starting around 10k for the structure and going up from there.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
We are pretty familiar with the winter chinook winds. We lived in Eagle River from 1987 to 2013. Seems gusts of 100 mph. I'm just trying to find out if they are worse in the Valley.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I part time live in the Church/Seldon area. House is in a little depression with lots of trees so we don't get a lot of wind.
There's a new development starting up off Church, so that's an option if you are wanting new new house.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Eagle river is still in the Anchorage borough, they call it a municipality. High property tax. Sales tax. Far left assembly destroying the area.
How often do you want to see the grandkid? Drive to Anchorage can be a breeze or a scary expedition depending on time of day and weather. I would want to be somewhere I trust the neighbors and they can see my property when I'm gone. ESPECIALLY if I have trailers and toys!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Not very concerned about driving to Anchorage once or twice a week. Right now we make a 80 mile run (each way) to hit Costco. If we move will not be visiting every day, kids need their space. Our closest town down here is 15 miles away but we generally drive to a larger town that is 24 miles away. The drive to Anchorage is not even going to be a consideration.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are pretty familiar with the winter chinook winds. We lived in Eagle River from 1987 to 2013. Seems gusts of 100 mph. I'm just trying to find out if they are worse in the Valley.

The worse I ever seen is 90 mph or so but that was yrs ago. But most seem to be in 70 mph range.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When your old "or" thinking you might have the miss-fortune of getting old, proximity to medical facilities becomes a relevant factor in where to reside.

I also am looking to relocate "FROM" Alaska to more-or-less somewhat near simulated Alaska, yet still near medical facilities.

I have a friend who was CEO of an Alaska hospital. I asked him if there was a rating system of hospitals. It turns out that there are two.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
A
A
My wife and I have lived off Wasilla-Fishhook/Seldon since we came to Alaska 40years ago. Population has increased tremendously since then with folks trying to escape Anchorage. Rush hour traffic out here lasts 3hours in AM/PM so I go to traffic lights to turn safely. We do still have to go to Anchorage for some Dr. appointments but now most are out here in the Valley. We schedule Anchorage appointments outside rush hour, hit COSTCO and get out ASAP. Our property assessment has tripled since we moved here but the property tax exemption for seniors is wonderful. We have Carr's, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart and 3 Bears for shopping - no COSTCO yet though.
There's been an increase in crime area-wide but none in our neighborhood thankfully - everybody is retired so we look out for each other.
I wouldn't trade Valley living - I just wish I had enough property to put in a shooting range.

Texan by birth, Alaskan by the grace of God!
S
S
Thankful for this thread popping up. I'm about 30 days out to move into AK - I'm also looking at the South Wasilla/Palmer area. This has been a long time coming and very exciting to live there as we are planning to stay for good.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Being 71 next month I should have my head examined for wanting to move 4500 miles back to Alaska. But everywhere we lived since leaving never felt like “home”. Once Alaska gets into your blood it’s hard to forget about her. And wife feels the same way.
I just have to convince KK to take me trout fishing if we make it back smile

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I part time live in the Church/Seldon area. House is in a little depression with lots of trees so we don't get a lot of wind.
There's a new development starting up off Church, so that's an option if you are wanting new new house.

That area is great all the way to bogard. Nice nieghborhoods etc.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Randy no problem Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (12344mag, 160user, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.