Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a DA/SA Sig P232 .380 that I load for. I'm having trouble with the last batch of ammo I loaded for it where about every 3rd or so round will not fire on the first trigger pull, but will always fire on the re-strike (2nd pull). Examining a round that fails to fire on the first pull usually shows a very faint firing pin indention. All the the rounds fit in a go/no-go gauge, though some of them I have to tap the gauge on the bench for them to fall back out. Bullets are 90 gr. Sig V-crown.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Maybe the primers aren't seated deep enough?

I'm about ready to say eff-it and go back to a danged revolver!

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Either the round is not headspacing properly in the chamber. Maybe due to a bulge, or the primers have not been seated deep enough. Very small cases. Extra care is needed in handling. Magnifying glass, finger touch, extra light etc..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In American slang FTF is failure to feed.
You seem to have intermittent ignition failure. I would clean firing pin channel using airbrush cleaning brushes and replace firing pin spring and firing pin safety spring.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Easy check is to disassemble the gun and drop the rounds into the chamber. Short rounds that can’t be reached by the firing pin will fall past where the breach would be if they are the proper length.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
First thing i would do is clean firing pin and hammer with a degreaser, something like Gun Scrubber.... and then test it...

There's places that TOO much lubricant is a bad thing....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slavek
In American slang FTF is failure to feed.
You seem to have intermittent ignition failure. I would clean firing pin channel using airbrush cleaning brushes and replace firing pin spring and firing pin safety spring.
I've cleaned the [bleep] out of it. And it is hammer-fired. And it only happens with my reloads, not factory ammo.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
Easy check is to disassemble the gun and drop the rounds into the chamber. Short rounds that can’t be reached by the firing pin will fall past where the breach would be if they are the proper length.
This was my thought, too.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
This was my thought, too.
What would cause short rounds, since the .380 round headspaces on the case mouth? None of the brass has been trimmed.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 03/22/24.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yes.

Upon the initial firing new brass also usually shortens a bit.

Hornady ammo?

You could also be applying too much taper on the crimp, creating a short headspace condition.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Do you have the same problem with factory loads? If so, I would focus on the gun. If factory loads work well, it’s more likely something in your loading technique that’s causing the problem.

-cases too short and they’re going far enough into the chamber to keep the firing pin from reaching the primers. Were they trimmed?
-maybe having the seating die turned down far enough to slightly crimp the case mouths and again keeping the firing pin from reaching the primers.
-it could be that you have expanded or flared the case mouths too much and the flare is preventing the cases from fully chambering.
-some primers seated too deeply. Hold a straight edge across the case head so you have light reflecting off the primers to see if the primers look like they’re seated uniformly.

Last edited by navlav8r; 03/22/24.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HawkI
Yes.

Hornady ammo?

You could also be applying too much taper on the crimp, creating a short headspace condition.
Mixed headstamp brass, obtained from a local range.

I thought brass typically lengthened after it was resized.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What brand of primers are you using?, and are you seatings them firmly.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Try a Lee carbide factory crimp die. If your loaded ammo is a bit over spec diameter wise it may not seat all the way and proved a cushioning effect the first, try to fire.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011209519?pid=668253

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by HawkI
Yes.

Hornady ammo?

Mixed headstamp brass, obtained from a local range.

I thought brass typically lengthened after it was resized.

It can, but the plug is expanding it again.

I would check overall length after sizing and expanding and make sure they are within spec.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Straight wall ammo tends to shorten when resized.

I would agree with a couple others above.

My first thought would be you’re putting too much taper crimp on so they go too far into the chamber. When I reload auto pistol ammo I taper crimp to a dimension across the case mouth for this reason.

The other place I’d look for problems is primer seating depth. It sounds like your first try is pushing the primer down to where it’s supposed to be so the second shot fires it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
CCI. I primed them on the press, which I usually don't do - usually hand-prime. So I'm thinking that's likely the issue.

I did use a FCD.

I'm not going to do anything until I fire some more and I will pick out the ones that don't fire on the first strike and do some measuring and see how they are different than the others.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If a primer fires on the 2nd attempt, the problem is that the primer is not seated deep enough.

OR

The firing pin channel needs cleaning.

But it is usually the primer seating. CCI has a harder cup than WSP - the WSP are easier to seat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
CCI. I primed them on the press, which I usually don't do - usually hand-prime. So I'm thinking that's likely the issue.

I did use a FCD.

I'm not going to do anything until I fire some more and I will pick out the ones that don't fire on the first strike and do some measuring and see how they are different than the others.

Do this, at least. Check all your loaded rounds' primers to see if any are not fully seated. If you can verify that they are, then you can eliminate that variable up front.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll tell you a quick fix, use Federal primers, you will cease having failure to fire problems.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll tell you a quick fix, use Federal primers, you will cease having failure to fire problems.
This ^^^
It's generally believed that CCI primers use a thicker cup and Federal uses a thinner cup.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (2500HD, 160user, 01Foreman400, 300s, 2UP, 12 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,624
Posts18,474,085
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.