Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It came on fast and furious, from nothing to bad in a few weeks. I'm scheduled for surgery in 6 weeks.
The big problem - I'm kind of a cabinet builder. I'm building a complete set of cabinets for our kitchen and the house looks like Hiroshima with everything stacked up to make working room. I really need to get this job done before the surgery but I'm operating with 1 1/3 hands. I haven't removed the sink yet so it's still operational and there's still 5' of counter working room so the kitchen's functional after a fashion. I have the upper cabinets removed but am just starting to make the new ones. I want to get them up before I put in the lower ones so I can get at them. We're getting granite countertops and I don't want to be working above that.

What a splendid time to have a hand go south on me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had half a dozen fingers do that, go to a doctor and get a steroid shot and it is gone in a couple of hours. And no surgery. Thought that was common knowledge?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My daughter works with knives a lot, doing autopsy’s. She had carpal tunnel problems. Had the surgery, then a period of rehab and light duty. The surgery solved the issue for her.
Good luck.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll have both mine done, after I get my knee replaced and both shoulders fixed. I've just learned how to deal with the carpal. It's not bad once you learn what to do and how to not do something. Once in while I'll screw up and I'll have a hand blow up on me. Sucks but it usually goes away.

They sell braces that actually work and wearing them while you sleep is very helpful. They have a metal piece that runs longitudinal with your wrist, and velcro straps.

There's also a stretch you can do that helps a lot. Basically bending your fingers back over the top of your wrist and holding that stretch for 20 or 30 seconds.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DouginLa
I have had half a dozen fingers do that, go to a doctor and get a steroid shot and it is gone in a couple of hours. And no surgery. Thought that was common knowledge?
A steroid shot won't fix this one. They're a pain reliever. They reduce swelling and inflammation but they don't fix the cause. My orthopedist gave me one in one knee and it worked great there. He did a nerve scan on my hand and he said steroids aren't going to prevent further damage.

― George Orwell

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll Pray for you Rock.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A steroid shot won't fix this one. They're a pain reliever. They reduce swelling and inflammation but they don't fix the cause. My orthopedist gave me one in one knee and it worked great there. He did a nerve scan on my hand and he said steroids aren't going to prevent further damage.

Well you said you wanted to get your cabinets done before you had surgery - the "shot" sounds like a viable option to me.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My wife had it done to both hands.....at the same time. Sucked for a while, but she was glad she did both. I, on the other hand, had to wait on her "hand" and foot. Wasn't so bad for me, but it took a good month for her to be able to somewhat get back in the groove. Had pain for several months after surgery when she put her hand down to get up. Took a while to get out of that habit.

She makes cakes as a side gig, and the constant squeezing of the bag,(I know what's next, LOL) had her hands wearing out. Steroids only mask the inflamation and dull the pain. The root cause can only be fixed by surgery.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Steroid shots are nothing but a bandaid, ive had plenty of them in my shoulders and back the last 5 years, the more you get the less time they last.
I had both hands operated on at the same time about 40 years ago with carpal tunnel got so bad I couldn't sleep before I did it all good now.
I just got stem cell injections in both shoulders and my back 1.5 weeks ago we will see how that goes, ive got nothing to loose at this point my only options are replacements in my shoulders Hell with that if I can help it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had bi-lateral carpal tunnel. Doctors said "we need to operate". I was advised by another in the surgical field that unless you change the actions that caused it other problems will happen from the scar tissue of surgery for which there is no resolve.

I declined the surgery. I worked as a machinist in a cannon factory so my hands were always moving doing heavy machining work. My remedy was to wear small, not bulky splints all day at work. (YOU CAN WORK WHILE WEARING SPLINTS) I had another clean pair for driving home, and another pair only worn for sleeping.

I wore those splints for 30 days straight 24/7 and they worked. Never had surgery, no steroid shots, nothing, and no numbness or waking during the night... That was 30 years ago, I did have to wear the splints again for symptoms when building a pool deck. Those splints now reside in my nightstand and I have not worn them in 20 years... I've been retired for 15 yrs.

Good Luck.

Last edited by old_boots; 03/22/24.
IC B3

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I hear ya my hand locks up at times

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Steroid shots are nothing but a bandaid, ive had plenty of them in my shoulders and back the last 5 years, the more you get the less time they last.
I had both hands operated on at the same time about 40 years ago with carpal tunnel got so bad I couldn't sleep before I did it all good now.
I just got stem cell injections in both shoulders and my back 1.5 weeks ago we will see how that goes, ive got nothing to loose at this point my only options are replacements in my shoulders Hell with that if I can help it.
May be a bandaid fix, but it has been several years since I had a shot, and never had a reoccurrence in the same finger, so it fixed me up.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Well you said you wanted to get your cabinets done before you had surgery - the "shot" sounds like a viable option to me.

What I was thinking as well. Buy time...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I tried the splints to zero effect. Got the surgery done (years ago) and relief was immediate. Due to the wait to try splints, physio and stretching I ended up with a small amount of what appears to be permanent nerve damage.

The big challenge is each person’s experience is unique, I should have done the surgery earlier because nothing else worked, but what if the splints had worked??

No easy answers.

Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have a wrist brace with a metal support that I tried. It hurts worse than using nothing.
I called the doc to ask if a steroid shot would help but he's out of town today. I can't get him until Monday.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I don’t know how long ago you guys that got surgery did it, but my wife did it two months ago. Ten minutes and she was done. A couple stitches and they kicked her out the door. Some ibuprofen for pain the first week and pretty much pain free the next. Not 100% for strength yet but pretty close. They don’t rehab you or therapy anymore either. Just tell you to do as much as you can stand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it is severe surgery is the only option to stop further nerve damage. One severe nerve damage happens, surgery won't even fix some problems. Get it done, done right, and you will be thankful for it.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like it’s time to call a few friends over to help.

Sometimes you do the helping, sometimes you need the helping.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My middle son is a LEO State Director and has 2 phones, one personal and one state. Constantly using his thumbs. Had to have both hands worked on. Worked for a while;needs another surgery. I’m pretty sure he didn’t do all the post operative rehab and went back to work too soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lifetime of physical labor and both of my hands required surgery, Modern surgery procedures are very effective,

In the meantime start sleeping at night with the braces on your hands/wrists…..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, Anaconda, Amos63, arky65, 10 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.