Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Judman, you are probably correct about WY being “the spot”. Concerning Colorado numbers, there are a lot of non-resident hunters that poke around on public land and are unsuccessful. There’s an awful lot of hunters who never see elk except in the back of someone’s pickup in town. My long term Colorado average is 68% on unguided hunts. Some of my buddies who have a gold horseshoe do a bit better. Last 7 hunts = 4 bulls, 2 cows. Never been on a guided trip. Good luck on the tag draws!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wammer, never hunted applied in Utah or Colorado. I know Colorado has more elk than any western state, just too busy with other states. My new catnip is Mexico coues, flat out amazing. I’d go 5 times a year if I could afford it!😆

Good luck to you as well, we need it with all the flatbillers applying nowadays.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by JohndrunkardBurns
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Johnny red-face is all fired up now lol

Johnny red-face Burns got nothing to say lol lol

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by JessG
There are also very few people with as low of an IQ as you, as fat as you, or as obnoxious as you… and you’re a liberal voting D’bag to boot. Congratulations!?!??
Have you figured how to use a turret on a scope yet, F’n dumbass?
How much hunting have you been able to do lately without your golf-cart, fat [bleep]?
I honestly miss your trophy pics from your “hunts”… the f’n near heart attack, beet red face, gasping for air pictures really gave me a chuckle.
You are a typical stupid liberal F’n D’bag!!! GFY

Oh my Jessie’s girl, straight stalker shiit you got going on. Only thing worse on these boards than a sock puppet is a chickenshiit that talks [bleep] without posting pics of themselves. Rest assured the only “beet” red face around is your moms after I pile her up.😘

Since you asked so eloquently, here’s a pic of me last week. Just to keep you horned up and your lip quivering

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how to post a picture in a forum online site

Nice sword!

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by navlav8r
It’s the same sort of thing you’ll hear from golfers talking about a new club or fisherman talking about what lures are working. It’s just a harmless way for hunters to talk about their pastime and maybe even learn something now and then.

And be involved in it and thinking/discussing stuff about it when you cant actually be out hunting.

To those who can hunt 100 days a year, God bless you, you are living the dream.

Plus, some guys like to tinker as much as hunt, really. As most know, collecting, relaoding, load developing, etc is every bit as hobby as hunting. And shooting.

Its all good.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I’am fortunate enough to harvest probably over 40 elk in the life time, 85 years. Taken them with 25/06, 270, 30/06, 280, 280AI, 35 wheylen. 338/06, 7mm mag, 300 Dakota, 405 win, 7x57, and probably others I’ve forgotten. Found with all if the shot is placed in the boiler room, heart lungs all of them, at reasonable ranges did the job. If not you err in for a long hard chase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting elk in different locations with different terrain makes a big difference to me. Hunting where there’s no large bears vs coming across a large brown bear being likely makes a difference.
On the prairie for instance I’d be looking for a cartridge suitable for a longer range. I wouldn’t be trying to put a bullet through the front shoulders. Placing a bullet in the heart lung area would be fine.
Hunting in thick forest, steep mountains, open prairie, cow vs trophy etc. - different rifles and different cartridges and different bullets - at least for me.
Anything from say a 270 win, various 7mm’s, various 30’s from a 308 to a 300 Mag or maybe a 338 Win Mag. I think I could justify a 375 H&H in certain circumstances.

If a guy hunts the same terrain, 100% of the time, a definite “this is the best or nothing bigger than a xxx is necessary” frame of mind can set in.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.