Print Thread
Hop To
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
The good... I've had the opportunity to acquire several Model 720 rifles. The bad, none are "original". Yet to in the "good category" the opportunity for a hands-on evaluation though none personally fired.

Quick Model background: Produced from 1941-44. Replaced the aged Model 30 after 20 years of honourable service! By then as 1941 about to expire and some months late, the first lot of 500 completion just under or just over the 31 December deadline. The Model 720 in any case, notably 5 years after its main competitor, the Winchester Model 70 launch in 1936! On the other hand, Remington resources overtaxed with by that same month getting production of the "Remington Model 1903 under War Department Contract. Allegedly Department Officials watching eagle-eyed for an on time 720 Lot completion as insisting resource reallocation primarily to War Effort*

The Model 720 to me, a conundrum. Remington since the intro of the Model 30 in 1921 seemed to take half-hearted interest in competing with even the Model 54, much less the Model 70. Frankly, the Model 720 was a good rifle but poor competitor. The Model 70 metallurgy was superior as barrel, receiver and bolt of 4140 Chrome Molybdenum (aka Chrome Moly) steel. Remington didn't make a practice of disclosing its steel but widely perceived as same composition of Model 1917 military origins, as Nickel Steel. Nothing wrong with that at all. But as the Model 70 (beginning with later Model 54 barrels) of Chrome Moly. So, the net of superior newer age steels going to the Model 70. So to the design, spring-boarding from the Model 54, itself of later design to the Model 30!

Significant change from the Model 30 incorporated in the Model 720, were of of barrel length availability reportedly of - 20", 22" & 24". The bolt handle of perhaps most apparent difference as finally dropping the military introduced Model 1917 so-called "dog leg" style. I personally found it distinctive, happily of coincidental "low bolt" configuration and no real downside. But the 720 style was more era "traditional" handle configuration as also yet "low scope" functionality. The ejector exterior housing design and function as a novel "push to release". Superior convenience to the Model 30 with its mauser traditional pull to release bolt feature. This feature among the pix below. Also, some notations claiming increased lock speed. Yet such too the latter Model 30, so as "new feature", as a decade prior.

All these presumable pluses in an otherwise unremarkably "new & improved" context. Yet the downside. The bottom metal as... Damn! Aluminium alloy, attracting scratches as notable! Yet worse, the floorplate secured to the trigger guard frame assembly... By a screw! Functionality & aesthetically a downgrade to my thought! Whatever novelty of aluminium in an era bolt rifle, lost in lack of durability.

The 'net' to me more perhaps than anything else, "new & improved" morphed into "design opportunity lost" as seeming Remington could have done considerably more! A rifle of pretty much "all show and little go". Yet "heart & soul" of the Model 30 action as "baubles" to differentiate from the last iterations of the 30. The War contracts for Remington in Model 1903 and then 1903A3, something as face-saving for the Firm as excuse for not even getting beyond that initial lot as 'about' on target date.*

Below is the NRA Museum rendition of Remington Firm history. 'If accuracy of its version of Model 720 history/information/data is to be depended upon... Heaven help the reader! Errors and conclusions differing from mine in several details as well as the accolades from NRA pundit perspectives. Read them! The matter of serialization by year attributed to the Model 720 production, perhaps the opposite. More likely factual than several other renditions I've seen in the past. My "Postscript" to be added below along with photos of my three "altered" models. I'll hopefully be adding my pix & said Postscript soon.

https://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-...ington-model-720a-bolt-action-rifle.aspx

For now, signing off!
Best!
John

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
When all you had to say is it was the best Remington rifle ever made..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
There are to be found, in backward areas of the west, a few cranky old fools who firmly believe that the 30 Express was the last great bolt rifle Remington ever made.
Every iteration of a firearm model beginning with the digit 7 since has been a compromise emphasizing ease of manufacture, speed, stampings, aluminum, sheet metal, plastic. Designs making cnc, automatic collet chucking, punch presses the priority...reducing the labor force from machinists and tool and die makers, stock fitters and gunsmiths...to assembly line workers who could just as easily be making blenders or vacuum cleaners.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Saw one with a refinished stock at the Allentown Show a few years ago…..I passed

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Well BSA... 'IF' you read the collective of my remarks, I was saying the Model 720 was anything BUT the "best rifle ever made". In that era and for some decades, I prefer the Model 70 pre '64 and post '90 CRF genre. My intent also to critique the NRA Museum viewpoint as fundamentally flawed. Adding here, along with the underlying NRA Institution itself of recent eras.

Best!
John

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My late friend, Terry Johansen, had a large collection of 720s, including several of the Sec. Navy trophy rifles that were awarded to members of the USN and USMC who won a service championship. IIRC, Terry and a man with the last name of Littlejohn were well know for their Remington 720 collections. John Lacy visited Terry to photograph some of his 720s for his book on the Model 700, but I don't recall any of the pictures in his book cited the Johansen collect. I had the opportunity to handle a few of Terry's 720s and thought that they were okay, better than the Model 30, but not as good as the comparable Winchester 70s.

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Hi Remguy! The "better than the Model 30 conclusion" to me a tough call. The - to me - cheap scratch prone bottom metal was an elevator ride down. Aluminium in guns was in 1941, on the one hand a novelty and on the other in shades of "alloy available, " likely soft. In my promised Model pictures here delivered today, the gun of my several in best condition, barely scratched. Another one achieving "defaced" with scratches.

So of the "better" question put to me as a Model 30 in bottom metal of "real steel" historic govt specs origin, or a weaker, more easily trigger guard deformed and unit defaced hazard with common screw-secured floorplate... Believe I'll forego the factually more ergonomic bolt release "button", aesthetically arguably nicer bolt handle and faster striker (if a reality)... I'd yet elect the Model 30.

As to the NRA description and heralding... As they define lower bottom metal of the 720 as being a hinged floorplate; total BS! But more as raising substantial doubt of the veracity of the very evaluation! I first noted this fact some years ago in an official NRA Website Model 720 description. Now as seeing a clustering of NRA folk as clustering in their praise of the rifle, as BS compounded. As saying this, I've been an NRA Life Member since 1958 as my Dad's gift upon my 18th birthday. Now for some many years as an NRA "Benefactor Member". A title I offer nowadays without pride. The NRA leadership has for decades been corrupt.

Below my best specimen, if flawed as to be seen, Model 720. By serial number it may also reflect last of the first batch of 500 as afterward production struggled along 'in the backfield' the Attack on Pearl Harbor and the War Department breathing down the Firm's neck concerning Remington Model 1903 production mandated focus. All three events as occurring in December 1941... And so! smile

Best!
John

Attached Images
R53-2U.jpg (23.23 KB, 37 downloads)
R53-3U.jpg (22.31 KB, 36 downloads)
R53-4U.jpg (25.67 KB, 38 downloads)
R53-7U.jpg (28.43 KB, 38 downloads)
R53-10U.jpg (31.69 KB, 38 downloads)
R53-12.jpg (20.54 KB, 37 downloads)
R53-13.jpg (13.59 KB, 38 downloads)
R53-14U.jpg (27.71 KB, 37 downloads)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1shotnokilz, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 160user, 1234, 75 invisible), 3,588 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,344
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.