Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Does finishing a laminated stock improve its resistance to warping over years' of use in damp climates, such as Washington and Oregon west of the Cascade Mountains? I guess another way of putting it is does omitting the finishing do anything other than make the stock aesthetically unappealing?

Last edited by Naphtali; 03/24/24.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That might just depend on the particular finish one is applying or omitting.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Laminated stock because of the thin layers of wood glued together, are less likely to warp in humid and wet conditions. But I would still apply some kind of finish. Poly will seal well, tung oil with hardener or tru-oil will help seal the wood also.

I thought all Boyd's stocks came with a poly finish unless ordered without a finish.

Last edited by Wizard1962; 03/24/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First rifle I ever re-finished was a old laminate and I treated it like it was a fine walnut. I have to laugh about that.

In more recent years I wondered if oil is the last thing you want on laminate given the use of glue within the stock.

Now I would probably give it a good cleaning and just use paste wax.

Thoughts on that?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've used Gun Sav'r Pro Custom Oil from Brownell's on some of my Boyd's with no problems at all. It holds up well and looks great. https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/stock-finishing/pro-custom-oil-gunstock-finish/

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've used poly coating that I pick up at our local Bi Mart stores, and/or a stain if I desire it on the Boyd's Stock.

I've finished about 15 to 20 of them for myself, and did others for friends and a few folks on the campfire.

I live in SW Oregon in the Rogue Valley. All of my rifle stocks, that are from Boyds have 15 to 20 years on them.
They have held up without requiring a refinish ever.. and they've been out in all sorts of bad weather. Most of them have been on Ruger 77 Mk2 Stainless actions and barrels.

They have resisted wear and tear from bad weather conditions, and field hunting in the mountains around here as well as the rifles I have, that have Hogue Rubber stocks on them... but the Boyd's Laminates are much more visually appealing.

Hope this helps ya out.

Cheers,
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12savage, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,936
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.