Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'm glad for that, JOG. All my style manuals (I count 14 of them here on my shelf) show the old way. They - and I - are old as well.

It seems to me that the conventions vary from field to field as well. Your background in aviation could promote 8's, and mine in chemistry could promote 8s.

I agree about the Oxford comma being necessary. Jack, Jill, Dick, and Jane is a different story than Jack, Jill, Dick and Jane.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm glad for that, JOG. All my style manuals (I count 14 of them here on my shelf) show the old way. They - and I - are old as well.

The Oxford comma, otherwise known as the serial comma, is for strings of objects. Example: My sandwich is peanut butter, jelly, and banana. Those who would leave out the comma after jelly would imply that the two were somehow combined.

The classic is the marvelous book title "Eats, shoots & leaves" Which is a grammar book that's delightful and funny to read. The title is about pandas, who are thus said to eat before they shoot something and depart. It's by Lynne Truss. Commas, apostrophes, and semi-colons become fun.
Hah, and I hear I thought those commas were Catholic nun commas.

We'd get red marks on our papers if we didn't use them properly. Too many red marks and one was likely to get a ruler or a pointer broken over one's knuckles.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JOG

It seems to me that the conventions vary from field to field as well. Your background in aviation could promote 8's, and mine in chemistry could promote 8s.

I agree about the Oxford comma being necessary. Jack, Jill, Dick, and Jane is a different story than Jack, Jill, Dick and Jane.
It's almost like correct mathematical notation.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was educated by nuns, brothers, and priests - in that order (pun intended) as well. Religion aside, you LEARNED stuff.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I was taught to place a comma before the “and” preceding the last item of a series. My adult daughter and son told me several years ago that English teachers were moving away from that.

I probably use it about 50% of the time so over time I’m half right. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I was taught to place a comma before the “and” preceding the last item of a series. My adult daughter and son told me several years ago that English teachers were moving away from that.

I probably use it about 50% of the time so over time I’m half right. 😁
Lot's of stuff crap that is acceptable in common speech has also become acceptable in "writing and journalism".

"Since" and "because" are becoming synonymous. One is an expression relating to time passed and the other is an expression of "the result of". But, it's OK (okay?) to use them interchangeably now it seems.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasps build nests in posts!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm enjoying this conversation. Interesting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
This thread is so boring I'm in danger of becoming commatose!

Good one hotrod.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
While we're on it - what about the Oxford comma?
Thanks.
I really support the Oxford comma because it makes things clearer

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For mangled English then and than bring mixed up is pure idiocy. A close second is using less for fewer

Last edited by kennyd; 03/24/24.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So does this mean we should flatten everything near the Darièn Gap with A-10s, or A-10's, or plain old A-10Bs?

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As for the less and fewer conundrum, it's pretty simple: "Fewer" is for things you can count, and "less" is for things you can't.

The Atlantic has LESS water than the Pacific. Bob vowed to eat FEWER hamburgers.

A peeve of mine is using "that" instead of "who" when referring to people. "Wabigoon hates those WHO fart in church." "That" is for objects and such. "The dog THAT barked."

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I need to sale some things. They are all for sell.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimone
So does this mean we should flatten everything near the Darièn Gap with A-10s, or A-10's, or plain old A-10Bs?

You could flatten everything with an A-10's gun, or if there was a bunch of A-10s, a bunch of A-10s' guns.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done, JOG.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does anyone use 'whom' any more? I've rarely heard it. I never did figure out the whom vs who rules...and I never thought it was important enough to find out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The classic is the marvelous book title "Eats, shoots & leaves" Which is a grammar book that's delightful and funny to read. The title is about pandas, who are thus said to eat before they shoot something and depart. It's by Lynne Truss. Commas, apostrophes, and semi-colons become fun.

Rocky, actually that book's title is Eats, Shoots & Leaves. Book (and movie/play titles) are in italics. Book chapters and poems are inside quotation marks.

What drove me nuts back when I was writing for half-a-dozen magazines, and a book every couple years, was how many different editors used different style books. Many were also stuck in the era when they went to school.

One that drove me particularly crazy was the "copy editor" for a company that published several magazines, who'd graduated from a midwestern high school, the spent a little time at a now long-defunct business school. Her main reference was an ancient collegiate dictionary which contained some variety of style manual, perhaps the Chicago version (which continues to evolves, as do many others, due to the Internet.)

A good example was a hunting article where I mentioned poring over a topographic map. She changed poring to pouring, which has a completely different meaning. After reading the magazine I e-mailed her, pointing this out--and the next time I used pored or poring she put it inside quotation marks....

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I lazied out on that, John. Just easier to use the quote marks. I'll take the penalty for capitalization.

NASA used to use the Associated Press Style Manual (and perhaps still does.) I tossed that one when my copy was 30 years old, and when the AP started going completely sinister-leaning.

Looking up at my book shelf I see style and usage manuals by Strunk & White, Fowler, Partridge, Johnson, Ehrlich, and Webster's. Plus the usual dictionary, thesaurus, and word books. Sixteen volumes, all told. Naturally, I still manage to screw something up at depressingly regular intervals. When I wrote for money, I'd spend a LOT of time trying to get exactly the correct phrasing or punctuation. But now I seldom bother. There are only a handful of people on the 'Fire who'd know the difference, anyway. Or care.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rocky,

Yep, we still have a bunch of printed style manuals and dictionaries--but these days I often just go to the Internet versions, which like Internet loading data are updated far more often than printed manuals!

Luckily, only write for two magazines anymore, Sports Afield and Rifle Loony News. The editor of SA, Diana Rupp, knows her stuff--and I'm married to the editor of RLN, which makes any editorial discussions" easy!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.