Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
My friend gave me 1000 223 casings he picked at the range. Any tips on making the job of sorting easier ? Do you use some sort of head band magnifier to identify the makers ?

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do a lot of that... I use a stronger pair of reading glasses, and I sort them into containers I keep from my wife's purchases of butter or sour cream etc. I sort by head stamp. I've picked up 600 empty 223 cases in the last 10 days.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Run them through the tumbler first

It helps a lot

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
I do a lot of that... I use a stronger pair of reading glasses, and I sort them into containers I keep from my wife's purchases of butter or sour cream etc. I sort by head stamp. I've picked up 600 empty 223 cases in the last 10 days.

I see brass at the range all the time. One reason I always say brass for a .223 remington is free. It was that way in Oregon and Washington too. One time I picked up 1,200 pcs of good FC with the scamp markings, and the majority of them didn't have crimped primers. I'm still using a bunch of those. I also found 1,200 pcs of PMC, one day at a rock quarry in the national forest, which all looked like new. If I were going to pick up .223 rem brass, I'd make sure it was a good brand, and in new looking condition. There's generally a lot of that at the range I go to now. I hate dealing with crimped primers, so the LC just lays there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
bought a Dillion Pocket Swager from Hanco for $50.

Probably the most useful thing on my reload bench, after the press....
and best $50 I've spent on anything I have on my reload bench.

I don't have to pass up on Lake City brass.... and I have thousands of cases of those...
and they last a long time.

some lucky person will strike the jackpot when Its my time to go....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Seafire
I do a lot of that... I use a stronger pair of reading glasses, and I sort them into containers I keep from my wife's purchases of butter or sour nosler . I sort by head stamp. I've picked up 600 empty 223 cases in the last 10 days.

I see brass at the range all the time. One reason I always say brass for a .223 remington is free. It was that way in Oregon and Washington too. One time I picked up 1,200 pcs of good FC with the scamp markings, and the majority of them didn't have crimped primers. I'm still using a bunch of those. I also found 1,200 pcs of PMC, one day at a rock quarry in the national forest, which all looked like new. If I were going to pick up .223 rem brass, I'd make sure it was a good brand, and in new looking condition. There's generally a lot of that at the range I go to now. I hate dealing with crimped primers, so the LC just lays there.

i do it the opposite of you, trash the rest and keep LC, now if i picked up, Nosler or lapau ill keep them

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll take all the LC 223 brass people wanna give me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have enough already, and would rather spend my time loading that than cleaning and sorting to save a couple of bucks.

Not long ago I bought some primed Norma .223 at a good price which is saving me time and primers.

I do pick up “specimen” cases from cartridges I don’t have.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/23/24.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Range brass for me, I don't bother with the head stamp, different lots can have different capacities. Clean and sort for damage then size and trim so they are all the same. Then I weigh them, what your doing is weighing the amount of brass they are made of, the heavier they are the more brass there for less room for powder(less capacity). I take the highest and lowest and divide the difference into three groups.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My normal .223 range brass procedure:

1. De-cap it all
2. Wet tumble with SS Pins
3. Check PPS with a gauge, for 2 reasons.. crimps and I don't want to waste any time with loose PPs. the crimps I then swage on a Dillon.
4. Anneal
5. Segregate by headstamp into major "lots" like RP, FC, PMC, WIN, LC "Misc Civ", Misc-Mil". Misc CIV and Misc Mil get turned into match ammo (3Gun) cause I probably won't be seeing it again.

It takes a little time, but I normally due this JAN-MAR when the weather sucks and it's dark early. Once it's segregated it's preps IAW end use.

A few years ago I attended a 3 day carbine class sponsored by a county sheriff's dept. I went through about 1200 rds during the class and there were about 20 students. They didn't want the brass, so I left with 4 kitty litter containers full of once fired. It seemed like a good idea at the time..

Last edited by Chuck_R; 03/23/24.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I have enough already, and would rather spend my time loading that than cleaning and sorting to save a couple of bucks.

Not long ago I bought some primed Norma .223 at a good price which is saving me time and primers.

I do pick up “specimen” cases from cartridges I don’t have.

Me too. Years ago I scarfed up all the .223 stuff I found at the ranges. Now I smile and ignore it. Since I divested myself of AR's my needs for .223 brass have simplified. Now I'm only feeding a Browning Low Wall single shot and it doesn't eat ammo nearly as badly! I strictly use Lapua brass in it (I fortunately stocked up like crazy on it when it was still commonly available), but I kept all the LC and Federal brass when I sold my last AR - why, I don't know - not to mention the 1000+ rounds of 55 grain Hornady-bulleted ammo I had loaded for it with that stuff. (Those cartridges shot wonderfully in the AR, sub-MOA, and shoot equally well in the Browning, but the Lapua brass + Berger bullets are oh-so-much better.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
P/dogs don't know any difference...

Not even with Lapua or Norma

They die just the same

Clean 'em/load 'em/shoot 'em

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61

+1, got a 55 gallon barrel of it that needs prepped but ill keep adding to it

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by steveredd1

Scrap still $3/pound ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Scrap still $3/pound ?

why would i scrap it? i clean it, proccess it, prime it, and sell it, $235 per 1000

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
$2.00 in Golden area

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Where would you get $235. per thousand ? I just advertized $160. per thousand shipped and didn't get one bite.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Scrap still $3/pound ?

why would i scrap it? i clean it, proccess it, prime it, and sell it, $235 per 1000

sorry man--------edit------

$117/1000 pcs here shipped.....

Cleanest 1X'd brass you'll ever see..unprimed of course

https://precisionbrass.net/product/5-56mm-223-once-fired-brass-precision-brass/

Last edited by tikkanut; 03/24/24.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SlickLizard
$2.00 in Golden area

Yep

Utah...$1.90/lb

https://umw.com/pricing/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,063
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.